Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2017, 06:22 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,445,547 times

Advertisements

Amazon is all ready in Charlotte, so it know where it is. Amazon has been gradually ramping up its presence in the Charlotte region over the years. The company began expanding its receiving center on Old Dowd Road last summer, for example, and has been hiring at its distribution center in Concord, where it already employs hundreds.
Charlotte has the airport, which is a large international airport which is a requirement.

Read more here: Amazon launches superfast Prime Now in Charlotte Wednesday | Charlotte Observer

Old 09-09-2017, 07:14 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,678,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
RDU is, which is why it's probably somewhere on the list. Omaha isnt' a 1M+ metro, and Milwaukee? With Chicago right down the road? Probably not.
Yeah. Poor Milwaukee. Charlotte could possibly be on the list somewhere, but hey Raleigh's right down the road... North Carolina could use this economic engine...

Old 09-10-2017, 06:11 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,445,547 times
Site selection expert John Boyd Jr. says Charlotte will definitely be considered for a second headquarters for Amazon although he didn't include the Queen City in his list of "strong front runners" for the proposed $5 billion project.

"They are the really strong front runners," Boyd says.

From a real estate perspective, there are plenty of opportunities in and around the Charlotte region to develop such a substantial project. Planned developments on the horizon are expected to contain a significant amount of office space — for instance, up to 8 million square feet is called for in River District in west Charlotte over a 30-year period.

"We certainly have the available land, and we certainly have local developers who have the capacity to handle it, so we should be in contention for it," said Anne Vulcano, senior vice president at CBRE's Charlotte office. "There are people who have consolidated a bunch of land that would be able to put (Amazon) in a logical location."

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlott...dered-for.html

Old 09-10-2017, 12:26 PM

586 posts, read 1,549,252 times
I would love to see it go to a state that could use an economic boost.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:39 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,419,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphorista View Post
I would love to see it go to a state that could use an economic boost.
Chicago could use it! I would love to see it go there!

Old 09-10-2017, 06:27 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,739,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
Site selection expert John Boyd Jr. says Charlotte will definitely be considered for a second headquarters for Amazon although he didn't include the Queen City in his list of "strong front runners" for the proposed $5 billion project.

"They are the really strong front runners," Boyd says.

From a real estate perspective, there are plenty of opportunities in and around the Charlotte region to develop such a substantial project. Planned developments on the horizon are expected to contain a significant amount of office space — for instance, up to 8 million square feet is called for in River District in west Charlotte over a 30-year period.

"We certainly have the available land, and we certainly have local developers who have the capacity to handle it, so we should be in contention for it," said Anne Vulcano, senior vice president at CBRE's Charlotte office. "There are people who have consolidated a bunch of land that would be able to put (Amazon) in a logical location."

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlott...dered-for.html
I think that Charlotte & Philadelphia are the dark horses. Charlotte has the River District & Philadelphia has Schuylkill Yards.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:50 AM

37,904 posts, read 42,073,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Where will the next Amazon headquarters go? | The Kansas City Star

For some reason Charlotte doesn't seem to be on the short list. I can't say that won't change. Maybe that will change,heck maybe Amazon will move to Charlotte. At this point it's not looking like a possibility though.
Those are listings that put a premium on being a tech hub without consideration of any other requirements that Amazon is looking for. Of course, that's a very, very important factor but it will come down to a combination of several factors.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:48 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,521,056 times
Quote:
Those are listings that put a premium on being a tech hub without consideration of any other requirements that Amazon is looking for. Of course, that's a very, very important factor but it will come down to a combination of several factors.
More than likely it will be a well known big city anyway. I just like yanking the charlotte crews chain every once in a while. I personally think we need to pull together on this one. Just like the Met Life deal. In reality 50,000 jobs would probably overwhelm either region. Splitting that in half seems much more doable. Not sure if that's possible but who knows. Anything is possible with the right planning and negotiations.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:50 AM

37,904 posts, read 42,073,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
More than likely it will be a well known big city anyway. I just like yanking the charlotte crews chain every once in a while. I personally think we need to pull together on this one. Just like the Met Life deal. In reality 50,000 jobs would probably overwhelm either region. Splitting that in half seems much more doable. Not sure if that's possible but who knows. Anything is possible with the right planning and negotiations.
Having two campuses in two different cities for a second headquarters seems to be a bit much. I'm pretty sure HQ2 is going to a top 10 metro.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:04 AM

7,079 posts, read 12,366,166 times
Quote:
Having two campuses in two different cities for a second headquarters seems to be a bit much. I'm pretty sure HQ2 is going to a top 10 metro.
Houston would be the perfect PR move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina