Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2017, 11:14 AM

37,904 posts, read 42,078,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
The sterile thing is outdated.The deficiencies aren't so bad at all. You're over exaggerating looking for things to complain about instead of enjoying what it does offer. I get you may think some people are exaggerating how great Charlotte is, but you do the same with Raleigh. I promise you, most people probably think of Raleigh as the same cookie cutter, unoriginal southern overgrown suburb with chain restaraunts. Asheville, Greenville SC, Charleston, Chapel Hill, Norfolk & Durham are cities that have the reputation of local, restaraunts, originality, etc you talk about. Just enjoy the 2 cities for what they are
The "sterile" reference shouldn't be a sore spot for Charlotte anymore. There's truth to it for sure, but that doesn't mean that Uptown isn't active, vibrant, and pedestrian-friendly because it is certainly all of those things. If Charlotte has to carry that label while it continues to add more amenities and offerings and becomes an overall better and more well-rounded place, then so be it. "Sterile" Uptown is a lot more fun and energetic than some other places with more historic buildings intact. Better to be sterile than stagnant.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 06-18-2017 at 11:24 AM..

Old 06-18-2017, 11:54 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,446,098 times
Headquarters relocation will bring 100 jobs, French restaurant to uptown tower

Elior North America, which includes a family of brands in the foodservice and catering business, is leasing more than 13,000 square feet at 300 South Tryon, the 25-story office tower under construction now by The Spectrum Cos. and Barings. Elior will move into its new headquarters in August.

In addition to its fourth-floor office space, Elior North America will open a brasserie-style French restaurant fronting Tryon Street and a coffee shop facing the building's linear park along Third Street that connects Tryon Street and Romare Bearden Park. The 2,000-square-foot coffee shop is expected to open in the fall and the 6,800-square-foot restaurant in spring 2018.

Elior North America connected with its parent company, Paris-headquartered Elior Group, to develop a brasserie at 300 South Tryon that will include traditional French cuisine and ambiance. The coffee bar will have a "strong urban feel," Poplin said.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte...bs-french.html

Last edited by CLT1985; 06-18-2017 at 12:12 PM..

Old 06-18-2017, 06:54 PM

733 posts, read 500,156 times
I would love for the city to get a rotating restaurant...but im realistic...

Old 06-19-2017, 03:16 AM

464 posts, read 524,184 times
Wait, is Charlotte on Atlanta's level yet?

Old 06-19-2017, 03:18 AM

We passed 100 pages....Yaaaaassss!

Old 06-19-2017, 03:22 AM

Charlotte continues to be a lifeless city devoid of soul lol.

When will it become 3x the size of the Triangle?

A century from now...maybe?

I need to know!!!!!

Old 06-19-2017, 03:29 AM

I love how Charlotte continues to get heavy competition from Raleigh alone lol.

Charlotte is truly in Atlanta's shadow , and will NEVER be on par in any way.

Pathetic soulless city lol.

Can't even dominate its own state.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:22 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,446,098 times
Raleigh is truly in Charlotte's shadow , and will NEVER be on par in any way.
Dream on.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:37 AM

7,079 posts, read 12,367,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicene101 View Post
Charlotte continues to be a lifeless city devoid of soul lol.

When will it become 3x the size of the Triangle?

A century from now...maybe?

I need to know!!!!!

Honestly Denver, Seattle, Nashville, San Antonio, San Diego, New Orleans, Salt Lake City, Austin, Pittsburgh, Kansas City and SEVERAL others aren't anywhere close to being 3 times the Triangle's size. However, they all put Raleigh to shame in terms of activity, core developments, and visitor appeal. So does Charlotte....

As for the 100-plus pages; what do you expect from two booming regions in the same state? Also, both regions have city-data members who are extremely proud of their areas. Charlotte posters are sometimes guilty of thinking that Charlotte is more than what it is. The same can be said about the Triangle posters; especially the Raleigh posters.

Also, Charlotte and the Triangle are less than 200 miles from each other. Outside of Florida, two metros of 2 million-plus, in the same state, and less than 200 miles apart doesn't happen in the south east. So naturally, a Charlotte vs The Triangle thread would go on for what seems like forever. Does that mean that Raleigh is Charlotte's equal; simply because a topic on city-data is popular?

In fact, if you pay attention to this thread; it's been pointed out numerous times that Raleigh is booming but it's not on Charlotte's level. In the case of most midsized major cities (I've listed some of them above) being 3 times the size of the Triangle isn't needed before a city is considered light years ahead of Raleigh.

In fact, the Triangle's 2 million residents has been a let-down for many who now call the Triangle home. They expect more ethnic restaurants, more downtown activities, more family attractions etc from an area the size of the Triangle. The Triangle is a perfect example of how more people doesn't always mean more things to do. This is why many Triangle transplants describe Raleigh as "a great place to live, but you wouldn't want to visit". Nashville (a smaller metro than the Triangle) and Norfolk/Virginia Beach (also smaller) has things such as tourism, commuter rail, and/or light rail.

If some of you in Raleigh truly have an inferiority complex, you need to take that up with your local leaders and developers. Charlotte has nothing to do with the things you guys feel that Raleigh lacks. Your local leaders are the ones your beef should be directed towards.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 06-19-2017 at 08:20 AM..

Old 06-19-2017, 08:18 AM

35,133 posts, read 31,425,459 times
Couple of questions.

I live in and am from northeast TN (about 45 minutes from NC line) and have been considering moving to either Charlotte, Nashville, or Raleigh over the next three to five years, barring any issues with job loss (company possibly going through merger) or the like. Before moving back to TN, I spent the last three years in an affluent suburb of Indianapolis and really enjoyed the suburbs, but a lot of the city proper was full of crime, roads were lousy, big lack of outdoor activities, etc.

I've spent some time in Nashville and it hasn't really gelled yet. Suburbs are nice but I've found downtown lacking (not into the honky tonk scene) and well below Indy's downtown. Traffic is an absolute mess. I'd rather be closer to the coast/mountains than the Midwest. I haven't crossed it off but it's coming close. Nashville also seems to be a good bit more expensive than either Charlotte or Raleigh. It's supposedly a health IT mecca but salaries have been low when I applied there a couple years back. I've not seen anything in Nashville that would make me choose it over going back to Indy besides weather, taxes, and proximity to family.

I haven't really spent any time in Charlotte or Raleigh other than passing through in the last five years. I work as an application analyst in a nonclinical role for a healthcare system, but have also worked as a systems analyst at a medium sized tech company (not a household name) and as a software administrator of core banking software at a small bank. Given how the tech company (vendor to some household financial names) and bank ran, I'd rather stay in healthcare or government.

Priorities are like this:

1) Good job market. I don't think this would be a problem in either one. I make about $60k, but am in a fairly depressed small town. If my current job is eliminated, it's unlikely I could find much of anything here, even at $40k. I'd want at least $70k just counting in the higher cost of living and NC taxes.

2) Cost of suburban living. I'm guessing this is a toss-up? I'd prefer to be in a fairly nice suburb. If you're familiar with Indianapolis, I lived in Carmel. I'd like something to be close to that. I would go into the city for an event or something after work, but was a 20 minute drive back home from downtown.

I'd probably be buying a condo or townhome, not renting. I plan to make this next move somewhere I can stay at least five years.

3) Dating scene. I'm 31 and not getting any younger. Would be looking to date somewhat younger, preferably professional with no kids. That's just unavailable here.

4) Access to outdoor stuff and recreational water. This was a big thing for me living in Indianapolis, where outdoor rec opportunities sucked, but back here, I'm too tied up between family obligations and an on-call rotation to get outside as much as I like. Without the family around, I'd probably get out more. I see Raleigh has some lakes, but a little worried about it compared to Charlotte.

Charlotte is a little closer to home and the mountains, Raleigh closer to the beach. Raleigh seems a tad more isolated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina