Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 07:01 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,848,568 times

Advertisements

[quote=backfist]
And there are plenty of cons:
*ignorant people
*bugs
*suburban flight (locals as well as transplants)
*persistent bigotry

I don't wanna live by you ... we don't want our kids going to school there ... you're not as Christian as me ... are often sentiments that go unsaid with our voices, but are ratified by our actions.

/QUOTE]
ok, we have ignorant people, bugs suburban flight & persistent bigotry all through America.

In addition, here in enlightened New York, it seems more segregated to me than the south is. By that I mean that I was surprised on all my visits sourth to see whites & blacks eating in the same restaurants & shopping in the same stores. That is not so common on Long Island. And, in NYC the housing patterns & hence the use of other amenities is still surprisingly segregated.

The sourht seems much a nicer place to live in that regard, in my opinion.

Old 05-05-2006, 07:12 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
Hence the reason the ridiculous electoral college should be done away with anyways. But lets not get too much into politics here.
Without the college, most states would not have no voice in a national election. A few highly populated states would control everything. The same principle is why the state of Wyoming has the same number of senators as California and so on.

The Electoral College was not an accident. It was the design of the founding fathers to prevent a handful of states from controlling the entire country. Pretty amazing stuff by the framers of the Constitution considering they realized the potential problem over 230 years ago.

Old 05-05-2006, 07:29 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
Without the college, most states would not have no voice in a national election. A few highly populated states would control everything. The same principle is why the state of Wyoming has the same number of senators as California and so on.

The Electoral College was not an accident. It was the design of the founding fathers to prevent a handful of states from controlling the entire country. Pretty amazing stuff by the framers of the Constitution considering they realized the potential problem over 230 years ago.
That's bull. US History was my minor. The founding fathers set up the electoral college to silence the majority. The constitution, although we would hate do deny it and be called communists for saying it; was indeed (originaly) made to protect rich, white, men. The banishing of the electoral college would make states irrelevent when campaining. Millions more would vote because they wouldn't feel that their vote didn't matter because they were a
"red" in a blue state or a "blue" in a red state. I find it funny (and a bit nausiating) how we are preaching democracy so staunchly and trying to spread it around the globe (which is a fairly noble ideal).... but we don't even have it here at home.

Old 05-05-2006, 07:59 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,004,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
That's bull. US History was my minor. The founding fathers set up the electoral college to silence the majority. The constitution, although we would hate do deny it and be called communists for saying it; was indeed (originaly) made to protect rich, white, men. The banishing of the electoral college would make states irrelevent when campaining. Millions more would vote because they wouldn't feel that their vote didn't matter because they were a
"red" in a blue state or a "blue" in a red state. I find it funny (and a bit nausiating) how we are preaching democracy so staunchly and trying to spread it around the globe (which is a fairly noble ideal).... but we don't even have it here at home.
U.S. history was my major too, not that it had any value in my career. We'll just have to disagree on the reasoning behind the electoral college.

Last edited by mm34b; 05-05-2006 at 08:02 PM..

Old 05-05-2006, 09:39 PM
Aly

16 posts, read 60,685 times
No final straws here. Just time to move back home. My parents are in Raleigh and my in-laws are in Winston and Mt. Airy. Various cousins are in several little towns in NC. After 10 years in Alaska we are just homesick for the Smokies. We are counting the days at this point.

Old 05-05-2006, 10:17 PM

104 posts, read 573,845 times
Default homeless, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markh
This applies to almost any state. There are jobless, homeless, welfare recipients everywhere. Some are deserving, others are not.

From the conversations on here it doesn't look like this is the group that is moving with no place to go and looking to get on the welfare roles so I'd say that we're in the intelligent, forethought bearing group.
Of course it does, but there has been a lot of 'scamming' going on with regard to that according to our local papers. I don't believe I even implied that anyone participating on the forum was in that position, but who knows. There are stalkers too. It was just a point of discussion.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h237/PewterRose/5e2f065d.gif (broken link)

Old 05-05-2006, 10:23 PM

Default private message response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie Mae
To RedNC and Carolina girl-

Red, you are so right! Carolina girl, come stay with me here in CA and see what the PC liberals have done! This place is like being on another planet. I had originally intended moving to NC from CT last Nov., (long story), but it is official this morning, I am moving to NC the early part of June. I have a place to move to and friends and will buy a house later this year. I feel totally comfortable there and assimilate right in, unlike here in CA.
Red- check your private messages. L
On the other hand, take a look at the condition of our country today and see what the conservatives have done. Best we not pursue that one or I will provide many specifics. I am not talking ultra-left as so many like to spin it. I am talking intelligent, compassionate, reasonable people instead of hardheads that can't think their way out of a war we shouldn't have been in. I'm not sure how you did the private message and I am not sure if this will be returned that way.

Old 05-05-2006, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC
Carolina Girl,

Maybe you need to move out to CA for a while and find out what a real “blue run” state is like. It wont take long and you will appreciate what you have and you will never wish you were in a blue state again.
No, I'm a native and I will be staying. It is MY home and although some may not like my position, I am entitled to it. I think you are 'spinning' my statement a bit. If you will notice in my previous post, I said I am a moderate Liberal which means I am fiscally responsible and socially compassionate which is something conservatives can't claim.

Old 05-05-2006, 10:56 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,745,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Girl
No, I'm a native and I will be staying. It is MY home and although some may not like my position, I am entitled to it. I think you are 'spinning' my statement a bit. If you will notice in my previous post, I said I am a moderate Liberal which means I am fiscally responsible and socially compassionate which is something conservatives can't claim.
I was offering an informed point of view from someone who has seen both sides. As for the war, we were attacked first, or didn’t you know that. You are entitled to cling to your talking points as long as you want. Thankfully after years of attacks we finally have a president with the guts to make a decision without taking a pole first.

Old 05-05-2006, 11:05 PM

8,954 posts, read 4,271,729 times
Stop the discussion here, please. This is not a political forum. Any further messages will be strictly moderated or deleted and the thread closed.

You can move your debate to our other forum if you are so inclined. The link is "http://www.americanforeignrelations.com/forum/"

Regards,

markablue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina