Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 12:48 PM

452 posts, read 1,345,902 times

Advertisements

So basically this law mean if your driving in the outside lane and there is a car stopped in the emergency lane ...you just basically need to take it like a school speed zone 15mph...until you pass the car. Do you need to do this for all vehicles or only police cruisers?

Old 04-17-2008, 12:50 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCountry View Post
I would of totally merged over if I figured it was an emergency. But it was not..

I have been passing people getting speeding tickets for 20 years...and now I get the ticket which prob cost/hurts more on the insurance than they do!
haha

Charlotte..gotta love it sometimes..
It doesn't have to be an emergency situation for an officer to have a driver pulled over - the fact that they ARE pulled over puts their lives at risk. This law is meant to give them better protection while they are out doing their jobs. And contrary to what some may think, they do not have a "quota" of tickets to write in a day or anything - they pull people over when they have a legit reason for doing so. In my opinion, they don't pull ENOUGH people over.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:01 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Quote:
I would of totally merged over if I figured it was an emergency. But it was not..

I have been passing people getting speeding tickets for 20 years...and now I get the ticket which prob cost/hurts more on the insurance than they do!
haha

Charlotte..gotta love it sometimes..
Im trying to think of situation that a cop would have his lights flashing that is not an emergency but I cannot think of one except things like a parade

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
I don't believe anyone in this conversation is against protecting those that are supposed to protect and serve us as taxpayers.
If that is the case then you would not have stated below that it a nononsense law
Quote:
I do believe that there are nonsense laws that should not be enforced at the whim of a police officer who is probably behind in his ticket quota for the month.
No he protecting his fellow brother law enforcement officer
Quote:
I also believe that the original poster was not putting the officer's life in danger.

Going to fast and not allowing the cop to do his job without running the risk of being hit is putting that cops life in danger.
It may look like he just giving a ticket or whatever he was doing but you do not know if the person pulled over might try to grab the cop and he will need the space to react or if the driver opens up his car door in front of the cop and he needs that space

Quote:
I do believe that the law is extremely vague in its' wording and can be taken different ways.
I dont see how it is vague slow down or move over it pretty simple

Quote:
With that said, why in the neighbors section of today's Disturber, are they talking about using the shoulder lanes to drive on to ease congestion? Where is the safety in this? How does this silly "move over' law address this and where should we pull over if we have to?
It does not change the law you still need to slow down or move over it simple really.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:04 PM

452 posts, read 1,345,902 times
Folks! Is this law only when a law enforcement vehicle is on the side of the road with his lights on?

Old 04-17-2008, 01:04 PM

160 posts, read 401,804 times
Instead of making it a law that the rest of us need to move over and risk our lives by possibly swerving into another lane of traffic, why not have it be standard police procedure to follow a speeder to the next exit and have him pull off the highway?

Handing out tickets isn't about serving and protecting (which isn't what the police are trained in today anyways). It's about bringing in dollars.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:05 PM

Situations like this one are what prompted the law - quit whining about it and put yourself in this guys shoes - which I guess he would wear if he still had his legs.

N.C. Paramedic Struck, Loses Legs at Accident Scene — (EMSResponder.com)

Old 04-17-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdiovany View Post
Folks! Is this law only when a law enforcement vehicle is on the side of the road with his lights on?
Law enforcement and other emergency personnel.

Old 04-17-2008, 01:10 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luisdiovany View Post
no it applies to all emergency personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagman View Post
Instead of making it a law that the rest of us need to move over and risk our lives by possibly swerving into another lane of traffic, why not have it be standard police procedure to follow a speeder to the next exit and have him pull off the highway?
you do not have to move over if you cannot simply SLOW DOWN
I had a situation I had to go 20 mph on a entrance ramp of a highway if you cannot do this have your brakes check

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagman View Post
Handing out tickets isn't about serving and protecting (which isn't what the police are trained in today anyways). It's about bringing in dollars.
It is not about handing out tickets it making you aware that you are putting an emergency worker life at risk! It keeping you from being charge with manslaughter

Old 04-17-2008, 01:22 PM

255 posts, read 885,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Situations like this one are what prompted the law - quit whining about it and put yourself in this guys shoes - which I guess he would wear if he still had his legs.

N.C. Paramedic Struck, Loses Legs at Accident Scene — (EMSResponder.com)
Totally. But this was not a EMC vehicle...it was a police officer on 485 giving someone a speeding ticket...in the middle of a sunny day. I am not looking to kill someone, of course I would of stopped or got out of way (natual instinct at that point) if it had been an 'emergency'. The ticket also has be going 65 (posted speed limit?) when I was going 55 (my truck will not run 65, not even close). I had just been on the interstate not even a mile, if that. 160 Fort Mill exit to Arrow Wood exit, what's that 1/2 mile?

This law has a few loop holes for sure if we want to argue/debate that..

Old 04-17-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Totally. But this was not a EMC vehicle...it was a police officer on 485 giving someone a speeding ticket...in the middle of a sunny day. I am not looking to kill someone, of course I would of stopped or got out of way (natual instinct at that point) if it had been an 'emergency'. The ticket also has be going 65 when I was going 55 (my truck will not run 65, not even close). I had just been on the interstate not even a mile, if that. 160 Fort Mill exit to Arrow Wood exit, what's that 1/2 mile?

This law has a few loop holes for sure if we want to argue/debate that..
I repeat, a law enforcement vehicle stops for other reasons than just emergencies. Regardless of why he is on the side of the road, HE IS STILL ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD. You as JohnQ Citizen do not get to decide whether or not YOU think his reason for stopping is good enough for you to have to move over. Your sense of entitlement here is just stunning!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina