Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2008, 10:34 PM

39 posts, read 147,629 times

Advertisements

oh my goodness couldn't afford to live there 1 bedroom 1,000.00 i have a new 3 bedroom,2 bath for 475.00 a month payment.sitting in the country.selling everything to move to nc to hubbys family
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 07:17 AM

36 posts, read 96,941 times
Smile Carolina Dreamin'

My wife and I are looking to move to the Carolinas from Ohio in the next three years. I say Carolinas because we have several potential areas in mind, in both North and South Carolina. What's driving us to the Carolinas? The economy in Ohio is in the tank especially in my area around Dayton, the winters here are killing me we've had over 13 inch snowfalls for the last 3 years, too much of a good thing. I'm a middle childhood education major and the job market for teachers is bleak.
What's drawing us to the Carolinas? warmer weather, friendly people, family friendly communities, and good southern cooking. But the big draw is that both my wife and I are southern at heart we want to find a place where life is at a slower pace to raise our two daughters.
I'm not naive enough to thing that there's a perfect place, but we all need to go where we feel that we have a good quailty of life and are comfortable raising our children.
Good luck to all those looking to move to North Carolina and I may see you about town someday

Old 04-13-2008, 05:07 PM

140 posts, read 606,317 times
Family friendly communities, small town life, a place where decency is celebrated and respect is the norm, slower pace, friendly neighbors, people walking around and on the streets, a sense of belonging, a community that cares about the people who live in the community, safe environment, so many reasons to move to NC or other towns in the Carolinas. While the moderate climate in certain areas is wonderful, the above to me is essential.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:49 PM

14 posts, read 40,508 times
When I was in Raleigh a couple of years ago, I thought that would be a good place to live. I live in Phoenix, AZ. Today the temp is 108 degrees. And it isnt even June yet. I'm glad I got my air conditioner unit inspected last week. The question that I have is, does everyone that lives in North Carolina have flood insurance because of the storm there? J

Old 05-19-2008, 11:54 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,272,002 times
We (my family) don't have flood insurance. So not everyone has it.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:44 PM

66 posts, read 285,187 times
My wife's family is from the south and I promised her we would move closer when we could. As a bonus, we we pay less tax and live in a community that is growing.

Upstate NY has lost 60,000 net jobs in the last 8 years and our property taxes were $9,800 per yr on a $250,000 house. In NC we are to grow by 45,000 people and our $250,000 house has a tax of $900 per annum.

We love our town and will contribute to the welfare of the community and learn from our new native Carolinians.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:22 AM

20 posts, read 57,946 times
Default mjme

I think some of what we are looking for is a better pace. In NY you feel like you are constantly running and never get anywhere. My husband and I are in our 30's and both earned a nice salary in NY but we cannot seem to get ahead. The cost of living makes it very difficult. We look at NC sometimes and think the pace would be refreshing to just slow down a little. And because it costs so much to live here we can sell our home and buy one in NC outright which is appealing. North Carolina has the ability to give us more time with our family because we won't have a mortgage and so only one of us will have to work. It also has friendly warm people and an environment where you might know your neighbors. I've lived in the same home for years and I only know 1 neighbor.

All I can say is your too nice and clean and affordable for your own good. Unfortunately for you that is why we are flocking there in droves. You are the new Florida.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:25 PM

5 posts, read 20,221 times
Default moving to n.c. wilmington

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
I'm just curious. I see so many people on this forum and well, on my street, that come to NC in droves and just think this area is so great. I hear many different things, weather, economy, qualiy of life. But I was just wondering if some of you could be more specific? What about the weather, what about the quality of life. What is it exactly that you feel you will have so much better here than wherever you live now?
WE ARE IN THE PROCESS OF LOOKING FOR A HOME IN WILMINGTON, N.C., THE ST. JAMES CLUB SEEMS TO OFFER ALL WE WANT. BUT.......IN READING ALL THE POSTS, I SEE IT IS NOT A HOP SKIP AND JUMP TO WILMINGTON AND THE SHOPPING LEAVES MUCH TO BE DESIRED. WE ARE NOW IN FLORIDA, SENIORS, RETIRED. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY OTHER IDEA'S. I WOULD LIKE TO BE NO MORE THAN A 12 HOUR DRIVE FROM THE NY AREA, MY DAUGHTER IS HAVING A BABY SOON AND I WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO DRIVE UP ONCE A MONTH OR SO.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:26 PM

95 posts, read 297,180 times
We came down because of the weather--too long, cold winters up north, we wanted a change, and the prices of houses were better here. We rented up North and we rent here also, retired, and no children in school. Our daughter wants to move down but, but they will probably go to South Carolina-son may move to Raleigh, because of his job. We like it here,Of course there are things that we don't like but there are things every place you live. No place is perfect!

Old 05-30-2008, 07:15 AM

10 posts, read 19,608 times
Default Looking for great schools, better jobs, rural living...

I am located in Danville VA. We are currently looking to relocate to NC very soon. However, I am torn between Raleigh and Charlotte. I am looking for the better school system, better jobs, and somewhat rural living. I like both areas (Raleigh is closer to the shore!) Charlotte is larger and possible better job opportunities. Like I said, we would love to live in Wake County - but the redistricting of kids appears to be a problem. And I don't have a lot of info on Carrabus County Schools (but I am researching). Please help me and my family.
Priorities:
1. School System - possible private school
2. Job
3. Living area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina