Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 12:12 AM

1,355 posts, read 2,680,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I think the advice that we give to most newcomers (get ready for hot and humid) really wouldn't apply in your case if you're coming from Louisiana.

Will you be needing employment? In general the middle band (piedmont) of the state has the best job prospects.

There are creeks and rivers throughout NC. The mountains are very scenic and do offer good tubing and fishing as well as white water rafting, but Eastern NC would be more similar to Louisiana. We have swamps and gators down east, too.
What?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 07:45 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
What, what? What do you not understand?

In responding to Charmon10 (who might want to start a new thread) I said that the piedmont of NC has the best job prospects? The Piedmont encompasses the major cities of NC including Charlotte, the Triad (Winston-Salem, Greensboro High Point), and the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill). It's the middle part of the state, neither the mountains nor the coastal region. Some people throw Fayetteville in there, but I think it's more in the coastal plain. The OP didn't say if they were needing jobs (could be looking for a place to retire) and if not, they might be interested in the mountains (although geographically very different than Louisiana) or SE NC which would be more like Louisiana. Both the mountain regions and the coastal regions are harder places to find a job, though, depending on the skill set of the job seeker. Both regions are stronger in service/tourism based jobs and seasonal work.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
What, what? What do you not understand?

In responding to Charmon10 (who might want to start a new thread) I said that the piedmont of NC has the best job prospects? The Piedmont encompasses the major cities of NC including Charlotte, the Triad (Winston-Salem, Greensboro High Point), and the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill). It's the middle part of the state, neither the mountains nor the coastal region. Some people throw Fayetteville in there, but I think it's more in the coastal plain. The OP didn't say if they were needing jobs (could be looking for a place to retire) and if not, they might be interested in the mountains (although geographically very different than Louisiana) or SE NC which would be more like Louisiana. Both the mountain regions and the coastal regions are harder places to find a job, though, depending on the skill set of the job seeker. Both regions are stronger in service/tourism based jobs and seasonal work.
My bad. I thought you meant the Piedmont Triad alone.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:44 PM

Well, no, why would you think that? I explained to the poster from Louisiana that the piedmont is the middle band of the state. The piedmont is also found in Virginia and SC and even into GA, MD, and wikipedia has it as far north as NJ. I thought every NC school kid learned the regions of the state. My 3rd grader knows it (w/o my help).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piedmont_(United_States)

Old 05-06-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Well, no, why would you think that? I explained to the poster from Louisiana that the piedmont is the middle band of the state. The piedmont is also found in Virginia and SC and even into GA, MD, and wikipedia has it as far north as NJ. I thought every NC school kid learned the regions of the state. My 3rd grader knows it (w/o my help).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piedmont_(United_States)
Considering this is the NC forum, I wasn't expecting you to be talking about the entire Piedmont region. The "middle band (piedmont" could easily have been talking about Winston-Greensboro-High Point respectively.

If you haven't noticed, "Piedmont" & "Triad" are used to abbreviate the Piedmont Triad, especially in the NC forum.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:48 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
7 years later and this thread is still getting hits. Wow.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:52 PM

No, I haven't noticed that. Piedmont Triad International (PTI) is the airport. The Triad is a long-standing (50+ yr old) nickname that refers to Winston-Salem, Greensboro, and High Point. The Piedmont, as most NC natives know, is a region of North Carolina (and Va, SC, etc) and just like "the mountains" refers to a whole region and not just Asheville or Boone, and "the coast" refers to all 300 miles of coast and not just Wilmington, "the piedmont" refers to the whole middle band of North Carolina.

North Carolina's Three Distinctive Regions - Facts & Figures - North Carolina Travel & Tourism

Geography of North Carolina

And FYI, if you didn't know, all the southeastern and eastern states w/ a Piedmont region stole the name from Italy's Piedmont.

Try googling just the word "piedmont". So far I've gone through 4 pages of results and surprisingly have yet to see one solely referring to something in the Triad. Most are in the Triangle, some Charlotte, quite a few in Georgia and Virginia, found some in Oklahoma, California and Delaware. If people on the city-data board are using the term "Piedmont" as a stand alone to refer to "The Triad" (incorrectly) thankfully it doesn't seem to have permeated the rest of the internet. "Piedmont Triad" is fine and causes no real ambiguity although I could see where someone might be confused as to whether they meant the whole region or just the PTI airport, just like when someone occasionally says RDU when they mean Raleigh and Durham and the surrounding area, and not the airport, but most people don't do that. They do say RTP sometimes and are usually slapped back down and told that it's "The Triangle" and RTP refers to the Research Triangle (business/office/industrial/tech/biotech) Park and not the towns nearby.

Last edited by poppydog; 05-06-2013 at 09:34 PM..

Old 05-06-2013, 09:15 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Piedmont Plateau Region

Piedmont by itself does not refer to the Triad...poppydog is exactly right, it is sometime referred to as the Piedmont Triad, but Piedmont always has the Triad part preceding it.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:52 PM

22 posts, read 32,781 times
Piedmont means "the foot of the mountain." And what a controversial foot it has become.

And I don't think it was "stolen" from Italy. Maybe appropriated from Italy.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:14 PM

Copied, then. Italy had it first and we New World-ers copied what they called the similar region in ye Olde Countrye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina