Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 09:59 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Paper, I am sure you are right.

I am just some bigoted old Southern gal who loves to write about Yankees.

Dude, don't you get it? People have asked questions - I have tried to honestly answer them. I have plainly stated that I am passing on what I know to be true, but obviously I don't have problems with people moving here - and I married a man who isn't a Southern, for god's sake. I have stated over and over - people are basically the same no matter where you move - there are rude people and polite people everywhere.

No one is gonna twist your arm to agree with me - no one cares! I tried to pass on what I know. You didn't get charged for my opinion, did you? If you don't agree - fine! Why make it personal? Really - who cares?

Gosh Ani, you mean you're sleeping with the enemy???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 10:02 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Gosh Ani, you mean you're sleeping with the enemy???
Yes, my own Damn Yankee, whom I adore . . .

He likes to say he conquered the South and it was definitely worth it, LOL!!!

Old 07-09-2009, 10:07 PM

164 posts, read 357,698 times
Quote:

I have stated over and over - people are basically the same no matter where you move - there are rude people and polite people everywhere.
So, um, if there are rude people everywhere, why in the world would everyone shake their heads and say "Yankees" when they see somebody acting rude? That is bizarre.

Quote:
Keep telling yourself this - I suspect in person you are one of the easiest to pick out

Why? Because I calmly disagreed with you? Yes. Of course. No disagreeing with a native Southerner. Why, that is just rude

A small handful of you on this forum feel it is ok to call people asses, foreigners (because they are from the North), Swamp Yankees, and suggest that people only come visit your state ("if you stay, we have another name for ya’ll"). Good grief…read your statements. You call yourselves polite

Again, I am so happy that this is not how 99.9% of the North Carolinians act I am proud to have open-minded, educated, well written, kind southern friends.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:09 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Oh gosh! I might be offended, if I placed any value in your opinion.

Your over reaction and desire to strike out with insults to the truth is amusing though but expected from a Yankee. But I'm sure the irony is completely lost on you.

To start, the post was not directed at you, but if the shoe fits.........

BTW, you do place value on my opinion, otherwise you would not respond. People like you and Uncle Foghorn give Southerners a bad name. But, of course, you could care less, right?

One thing to know about us Northerners, we have big cojones and don't take garbage from anyone. Of course, people like you like to take the passive aggressive approach and hide behind the Southern hospitality crap. Sorry, not buying it.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:16 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
To start, the post was not directed at you, but if the shoe fits.........

BTW, you do place value on my opinion, otherwise you would not respond. People like you and Uncle Foghorn give Southerners a bad name. But, of course, you could care less, right?

One thing to know about us Northerners, we have big cojones and don't take garbage from anyone. Of course, people like you like to take the passive aggressive approach and hide behind the Southern hospitality crap. Sorry, not buying it.
Although you are directing this to specific posters, I want to make it clear that I am not.

There is some truth to what you wrote - about passive aggressive behavior being acceptable here.

Also, just wanted to make it clear - no one is gonna think someone is rude who simply states the facts. It is the argumentive, loud, in-yer-face, condescending behaviors that are unappreciated.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:51 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post

Yes indeedy! Look at the display of manners posted above
I am perfectly polite to everyone until some arrogant ass from somewhere else open their pie hole about all the things that are wrong with the south, and how great things are back in _____________, or how the did it back in ____________.

I'm not a push over either, and once a damn outsider opens the door of rude talk, insults, criticism, well guess what my reaction will be. There is a place for manners, and a time to take the gloves off. I know and practice the difference, also part of my southern persona.

Well bless your heart...................

Old 07-10-2009, 07:53 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
and tiny artillery

Old 07-10-2009, 07:57 AM

1,190 posts, read 4,047,733 times
Default reply

Quote:
I am perfectly polite to everyone until some arrogant ass from somewhere else open their pie hole about all the things that are wrong with the south, and how great things are back in _____________, or how the did it back in ____________.

I'm not a push over either, and once a damn outsider opens the door of rude talk, insults, criticism, well guess what my reaction will be. There is a place for manners, and a time to take the gloves off. I know and practice the difference, also part of my southern persona.

Well said. Why anyone would move to a new area and complain about EVERYTHING is beyong me. That is why you get it shoved right back in your face. I am no pushover and will not/do not EVER tolerate a Yankee in the Southland talking trash about our beloved American South. I am not in the minority either amongst real deep rooted, multi-generational Southerners.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:31 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
I told myself I was going to stay out of this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i noticed that ppl on here use this word a lot...do ppl actually say this in real life when referring to ppl from the NE??

i'm not trying to be funny, i'm just curious.
This was the OP. We answered honestly and we

Quote:
have tried to honestly answer them. I have plainly stated that I am passing on what I know to be true, but obviously I don't have problems with people moving here - and I married a man who isn't a Southerner, for god's sake.

I have stated over and over - people are basically the same no matter where you move - there are rude people and polite people everywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post
Nah. I doubt everyone shakes their head and says “Yankee”. Really. It is not the truth I know you and uncletupelo have issues with this, but most people aren’t harping on the whole “we can pick you Yankees out from a mile away” thing

Most normal, educated folks don’t even concern themselves with the previous residence of a rude person They just think “Wow. They are rude”. Because people of sound mind are aware that even their natives are capable of being rude.
:said calmly and sincerely: What you don't understand is that it is common vernacular.

Quote:
1 a : using a language or dialect native to a region or country rather than a literary, cultured, or foreign language b : of, relating to, or being a nonstandard language or dialect of a place, region, or country c : of, relating to, or being the normal spoken form of a language
It has nothing to do with education or sound minds. I bet I hear someone say "yankee" everyday. Probably close to 99% of natives I know say it. Some frequently. To southerners it's not an equivalent to redneck, hillbilly etc. To draw those words as comparisons doesn't make sense to us. It's like trying to interchange giraffe and tire.

This isn't directed at Paper
We answered honestly, I don't understand why people are attacking us. The people in this thread didn't create the culture here. You may strongly disagree with the culture but it is "normal" to us. You may feel it is very wrong but it isn't malignant to us. Some seem to feel that their opinion should trump ours. That they are right and we are ignorant or backwards. I know that I can accept that others may have a different perspective than I do. Can you?

Most people I know aren't offended by terms that don't apply. You might say all Carolinians are ignorant hillbillies. Fine. Doesn't bother me cause I'm not ignorant nor a hillbilly. I think there is a big misconception about the weight "yankee" carries. Personally I don't get it. It's clearly defined in the dictionary and commonly used in the same sense. It's like calling a two month old a baby. That's what it is. It certainly not a teenager or an adult.

Again - Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary. Yankee

[permanently exits thread]

Last edited by NCgirl; 07-10-2009 at 11:42 AM..

Old 07-10-2009, 02:09 PM

206 posts, read 439,694 times
Quote:

I don't recall anybody on this thread saying how things are done in the North. Maybe I missed it.

But......

We also know when to take the gloves off. I have gotten into it with a couple people in the South and only had to open my mouth for them to start running. Except for one, where I did have to get physical, but if it were you, you may have done the same thing.

I am not a big woman either. Some of us up here have grown up in tough neighborhoods where you have to be on guard all the time. So when somebody down there(or up here for that matter) gets nasty with us, or gets in our face, for no apparent reason, yes, we will say something.

About 85% of the people I met in Arkansas were good people. Only been to one area of Tennessee and I don't think I seen one person smile and they were really rude and crude. I hope it was just that area, because I'd like to go back to another area there sometime.

Who cares where you are from? We all have to be from somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina