Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 07:38 AM

5 posts, read 8,443 times

Advertisements

My first benefit year ran out Saturday so I will also be applying for my second year (I guess today), is everyone on a second year automatically signed up for the RES program or is it request based?

And to answer someone else's question about the 25 dollars per week, it isn't set to expire until Sept. 4, 2010 - I just checked on the ESC's website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 08:35 AM

656 posts, read 1,139,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
It appears, according to Kyl, that the bill will pass this coming week. However, it's "temporary"...the Republicans won't go along with a longer extension until it's determined where the money is going to come from. My question is...what is temporary? 30 days? 60 days? 90 days? I'm guessing it's 30 days...which would leave me in some trouble, if I'm coming off of regular UI in mid-April and needing a pull forward. I guess I wouldn't be getting that pull forward then without the extension passed.

Sorry I didn't get to answer this sooner KC. But it looks like JD took care fo you anyway.

But yeah, he's right...you do not need your job search records or really anything for the orientation and one-on-one. Now, if you recall...I had mine scheduled at a Raleigh office and it was a not-so-pleasant experience. It's how they ran their program...basically telling you "hey, if you don't do everything we say and take our advice for the next 12 weeks...we may take away your benefits". There were a bunch of other things that happened that just totally rubbed me the wrong way and I ended up shooting an e-mail to one of the administrators on a Saturday. Well...I got a phone call from the regional manager at 8:30 that Monday morning, then 2 hours later, got another phone call from the guy who ran that office...basically apologizing and wanting more information on what they can do to make the experience better. I went to my one-on-one...and met with the job coach who apologized and told me that I would be excused from the program. And from the sound of it...that office may have retooled their program a bit.

It's a program that's not going to be for everyone, but I do believe that everyone would at least learn something. With that said...it was explained to me by the head of the office that you must attend the orientation and one-on-one or risk losing your benefits. Then, it was later explained that I would only lose one week of benefits by not attending the one-on-one. So basically, don't miss those two meetings!

And since I'm essentially a month ahead of you...I'll keep you posted come April as to what happens when my 2nd year regular UI runs out. I'm trying to remember, but I think I was in my 4th or 5th week of Tier II when I went to a new benefit year.

Hey thanks for getting back with me
yeah, I basically wanted to know if I should drag in my huge folder of one years worth of job search records(ha)

I'll show up to the meeting, mine is at the local office on the 11th of March.
I'll go to the 2 meetings.

I really have no desire to go to the workshops ., We'll see how they handle all of that.
I have an excellent resume, I'm very good on interviews.
(So I thought, ha!)
My problem (I believe as do a few others) is... I'm just to (old) compared to others in my" field "when it comes down to hiring me or the next person. I suppose they think I'm at risk for injury ect.....
I've done this work, for along time and before that, have'nt alot of different job experience, as I was a stay at home mom back in the day for 20 plus yrs.
I've checked back into taking some classes.
That won't be a possibility til late May.

Anyway.. yes please keep me informed as you get time.
I always check this forum and you and i are about in the same situation (benefit wise).

I find it hard to believe they would pass a bill to go ahead with only a 30 day extension..?
Unemployment is still just as high in NC.,and they'll be in the same mess come again late March,,,,,,(UGH!) I to, was in my 5th week of tier 2 when my year ended.
I "hopefully" will have at least 8 weeks that can pull forward........ Geesh, so stressful

Old 03-01-2010, 09:07 AM

776 posts, read 1,684,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC245 View Post
My first benefit year ran out Saturday so I will also be applying for my second year (I guess today), is everyone on a second year automatically signed up for the RES program or is it request based?
It appears that everyone filing for a new benefit year (second year) gets signed up for RES orientation now. I think I got my letter a month after my benefit year expired. I'm sure if someone would request to be enrolled, they would have no problem doing it.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:21 AM

131 posts, read 232,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
It appears that everyone filing for a new benefit year (second year) gets signed up for RES orientation now. I think I got my letter a month after my benefit year expired. I'm sure if someone would request to be enrolled, they would have no problem doing it.

This RES thing is foreign to me. Nobody at ESC ever mentioned it & I never rec'd any letter. Wonder what's up with that? Anyone know why I would not have heard about this until now on this forum? I started a second benefit year in Oct. 2009. Thanks.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:18 AM

776 posts, read 1,684,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerest View Post
This RES thing is foreign to me. Nobody at ESC ever mentioned it & I never rec'd any letter. Wonder what's up with that? Anyone know why I would not have heard about this until now on this forum? I started a second benefit year in Oct. 2009. Thanks.
I get the feeling, and I think jdljr mentioned it...back in Oct 09, it wasn't going out to people starting a new benefit year and it was essentially just a service they offered that was entirely optional. And I think over time, they decided turnout wasn't very good, so as of recently, they decided to send letters with mandatory orientation to people filing new benefit years.

I certainly didn't hear about it until I got the letter.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:30 PM

86 posts, read 174,202 times
anybody have any info on Tier 4 timing? thanks

Old 03-01-2010, 01:50 PM

I just called the customer service number - I was on hold for maybe 15 minutes, but once the lady answered she had me taken care of in 5 minutes. I was actually surprised how quick and easy that was.

With the RES (which she didn't say anything about), does it have to be a certain time you go or is it just anytime thats convenient?

Old 03-01-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerest View Post
This RES thing is foreign to me. Nobody at ESC ever mentioned it & I never rec'd any letter. Wonder what's up with that? Anyone know why I would not have heard about this until now on this forum?

I started a second benefit year in Oct. 2009. Thanks.
Hmm, I just started my 2nd benefit year last week and already got my letter to go for the orientation on March 11th.
My thought is, if you haven't gotten a letter and you've been in your 2nd benefit year since Oct, don't worry about it.
Not sure how they select people ect.... But I'd have been very happy never recieving a letter to go

Old 03-01-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC245 View Post
I just called the customer service number - I was on hold for maybe 15 minutes, but once the lady answered she had me taken care of in 5 minutes. I was actually surprised how quick and easy that was.

With the RES (which she didn't say anything about), does it have to be a certain time you go or is it just anytime thats convenient?
My RES letter I just recieved had a specific date and time to go.
However, they do mention you can call if you need to reschedule.
It took aprox. 2 weeks after filing for my 2nd benefit year for my letter to arrive.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:00 PM

Does it say anything about changing offices? I moved and my original local office isn't that convenient anymore..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina