Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2011, 10:42 AM

122 posts, read 161,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holwager View Post
I think the only thing left is to see what Perdue does on Saturday. If she signs, we should see benefits by next week. If she exercises her veto immediately, then we're looking at early next week for the override. If she decides to hold onto it for up to 10 days then we're looking at a little longer wait.

So, however it plays out I think we're looking at anywhere from one week to three weeks before we should benefits flowing again. Retroactive for EVERYONE.

Finally, we can go back to 100% focus on job searching. I feel like I've had a second job lobbying politicians this past 6 weeks!
The override is hearsay, time will tell. For that matter so is the veto!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 10:49 AM

264 posts, read 312,940 times
Agree with you holwager. Both job search and EB lobbying have become full time jobs. I've worked through approx. 3hrs sleep per night for weeks now. My woe, I have found a could good job leads but they seek to hire following their fiscal year end (Jul or Aug).

Old 06-01-2011, 10:55 AM

249 posts, read 304,888 times
That's great news though. If you can land one of those jobs and EB gets back on you should be in good shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleprovider51 View Post
Agree with you holwager. Both job search and EB lobbying have become full time jobs. I've worked through approx. 3hrs sleep per night for weeks now. My woe, I have found a could good job leads but they seek to hire following their fiscal year end (Jul or Aug).

Old 06-01-2011, 11:03 AM

118 posts, read 143,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcde12 View Post
She did say more than 5 weeks ago what she would accept: a clean bill. What is so hard to understand about that?

My whole point about this is I didn't want the EBers to get the benefits they were entitled to at the expense of hurting Education, Medicaid, Food Stamps, etc. It would be like exchanging one group of 45,000 hostages for an even larger group of hostages.

I notice you still gave no specific solutions. Just the same general, fuzzy talk that gets us nowhere. I am so tired of the vague language that says nothing.
I gave you my opion, and im not going to waste the time to arguee with you. If you are pleased with the govs performance,,,,GOOD FOR YOU. But maybe you should take the time to read the bill,,,,, its not that bad and a he.. of a lot better than the first. If you are still hoping for a clean bill....

Old 06-01-2011, 11:13 AM

Default Agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorjamomrox View Post
Unfortunately I have to agree. It seems to me that the Gov has been skirting around the possibility of compromise first because of education and now when it seems that she is going to get almost all of what she asked for in education, she won't compromise because too many social programs and public safety sector funds are going to be cut... To me it seems like a cop out and a pathetic attempt to assert her power in a useless struggle. Furthermore, what has she done to even show her willingness to participate in a bipartisan dialogue with Republican leaders in any effort at all to reach a budget agreement? Nothing but chide the R's in the Senate/House for creating a budget that WE elected them to create... most of them were elected because of a promise to balance the budget and right size the NC government. They are doing what we asked of them when we went to the polls and checked their names on the ballots. Compromise is precisely the reason why there are three branches of government, so no one person holds all the power. Too bad for all of us, our gov is under the impression that she does and until she realizes that she has to make some consessions as well, then she will veto any budget she gets that is not the exact one she created. There will always be some reason why it is not good enough or too much is being cut from one area, but no real specifics because she doesn't want to compromise.

Not that this means that I think the Republicans have handeled the EB situation well, quite on the contrary. I think their lack of compassion and general disregard for the welfare of 50,000 state citizens is disgraceful. But it seems that an awful lot of us are rushing to put the blame on the shoulders of the GOP when they are equally at fault... I understand that a stand alone bill should have been passed, but when the Gov realized that was not going to happen she could have crossed party line to work on something to speed the process up a little too. Her inaction on the issue has been just as disgraceful as the republicans refusal to pass a stand alone bill. Neither party has won any favor with me during this process and we will all be significantly less hot tempered when we know it is done and we will be able to support ourselves again.
That pretty much spells it out.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holwager View Post
I really don't think she'll hold onto it for 10 days. The Unemployed and the Republican party would crucify her for holding up the benefits.

She'll either veto it to make her stance clear or she'll sign it right way.

That's my educated guess.
I have to agree! Its no secrect Im no perdue fan, but she,s not stupid.To hold the bill thats bound to be law regardless ,,,, would be pointless and bring alot of bad press back on her.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:33 AM

249 posts, read 304,888 times
Default Please let's stay on topic guys

We're so close to seeing an end to this and we really need this forum as a source of information for everyone. Thanks!

Old 06-01-2011, 11:42 AM

264 posts, read 363,908 times
Senator Graham makes a lot of sense. Senator Apodaca speaks with forked tongue.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:20 PM

162 posts, read 193,398 times
"If you're unemployed I wouldn't worry about sending your kids to summer camp." Geez Sen Apodaca.
We will never have a straight answer that they have used us as pawns in their chess game.

I do hope we see the end soon and our benefits reinstated. It's my birthday next Wednesday and it would be a nice present to be able to catch up on my bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina