Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2011, 01:42 PM

187 posts, read 259,235 times

Advertisements

Joe,
You are correct, it doesn't apply to you, but I also urge you to write to the representatives because the day may come for each of us who are unemployed to depend on the EB benefits that are scheduled to be dropped. We need to have these in place right now during this time of high unemployment! ! !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 02:08 PM

PEOPLE,
Make sure you also contact U.S. Senators Kay Hagan and David Burr, who represent North Carolina. This is also a very important step! !

Old 04-05-2011, 02:23 PM

44 posts, read 63,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe53 View Post
If I understand correctly, The April 16th deadline should not apply to you right now if you are still receiving your first 26 weeks of unemployment. The 4/16/11 cut-off has to do with the Fed Backed Money for unemployment correct? After your the 26 weeks, state Backed money = EUC08 (Tier1 20 weeks), EUC08 (Tier2 13 weeks), & EB (20 weeks) kicks in.
AM I CORRECT? All State backed Unemployment? not effected?
Well, I guess it could affect you if you finish all of the tiers without finding work. Most of us probably didn't expect to finish our tiers (June 5 for me) & move into EB, but it happened. Ending the EB April 16 seems to be at an inopportune point because it may derail any economic recovery that has started.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:11 PM

I'm wondering why North Carolina doesn't do what Michigan did a couple weeks ago: Michigan reduced their initial state benefits from 26 to 20 as a trade-off for the continuation of the EB benefits (which was actually changing their TUR lookback from 2 years to 3 years). It's better than losing the entirety of the 20 weeks of EB benefits....

Old 04-05-2011, 04:12 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
just who is going to be effected by this change?

Old 04-05-2011, 04:25 PM

86 posts, read 155,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
just who is going to be effected by this change?
me and anyone that is already on EB and /or ending their teir 4 soon or before the end of the year.

There hasn't been one word from any local politicians about this. Not even an acknowledgment that it's happening. That is scary.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:40 PM

86 posts, read 155,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3973 View Post
PEOPLE,
Use the list above from "ABCDE12's" post and write to each and every representative and senator! ! ! I'm in the process of doing this right now and I've had 3 positive responses from 3 representatives! ! ! We must all fight for this together if we are to be heard and understood! ! Please, I urge all of you who's lifeline is depending on these benefits.... BEGIN TO WRITE! ! !

thank you gregg and abcde12's. I usually write politician late at night once I feel I can't do anymore to try to find a job. I'll get on to writing these representatives.

Side note,, anyone knows if the Charlotte Observer is still hiring delivery people? If so where do I apply. Their website doesn't have a job portal or maybe I'm not seeing it.

Thanks,

Old 04-05-2011, 05:21 PM

55 posts, read 100,621 times
I can't seem to find a definitive answer as to whether an application submitted online will work for the job search requirement. If anyone knows for sure I would really appreciate any info you have. Thanks. erica

Old 04-05-2011, 05:36 PM

81 posts, read 174,102 times
I too emailed my reps today on behalf of you all on or about to go on EB. Mine were exhausted in Jan, but I still felt I should do my part to help those of you that may lose it.

Now, as some of you are seeing, jobs are not a dime a dozen anymore. You have been on UI for a long time and still haven't found anything. Some of you are already on EB now. I urge you all to not only write about keeping EB, but to also do all you can to show support for H.R. 589. You may need this in the near future and if it fails to pass, it might never be brought back up again.
Get geared up and stand up for our only lifeline possibility. EB may be continue pass the new deadline, but it will run out. At least you will know there will still be 14 more weeks, should you need them, if H.R 589 passes.
But we all MUST demand they pass this. Don't be afraid of Boehner, Cantor or your district reps. They do work for you, not the other way around. Contact them, by phone or email or in person, if you can.

This bill will apply to EVERYONE, so do your part now to make sure it is there for you, should you need it.
EB is uncertain now, as is H.R. 589. It is up to YOU to get these passed. Sit around and do nothing, and you very well may regret it down the road. I don't care if you just now started drawing UI, support these now.

I have seen very little response to my postings on this subject. Kinda makes me feel no one gives a crap about it. But if the time comes and your UI runs out and you still are not working, you may look back and think, 'I really should have done my small part'. We need numbers folks and we them NOW. Time is running out and everyone that is on UI, friends and family of those on UI, please help support this bill.

Jobs are extremely hard to find right now. Who remembers hiring bonuses? Seen any lately? There was once a time, not too long ago, where there were more jobs than there were workers to fill them. Those days are gone and now it is completely the other way around. Knocking a percentage point off the national unemployment level here and there isn't enough. There are still MILLIONS out of work!

So, take it from someone that has been looking for over 2 years. Jobs are not a leave out at 8:00am, come back home at 12:00 and have 3 jobs lined up to take your pick of to start at the next day. Things used to be like that and hopefully once again will be. But for now, you better fight and fight hard for UI extensions, because you very well may need them.

Fight for H.R 589 NOW.
I will refer you to the post with Boehner and Cantor's contact info. FLOOD THEM!
http://www.city-data.com/forum/18579300-post4936.html

Last edited by NC_Job_Hunter; 04-05-2011 at 05:44 PM..

Old 04-05-2011, 05:54 PM

81 posts, read 174,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmrm97 View Post
I can't seem to find a definitive answer as to whether an application submitted online will work for the job search requirement. If anyone knows for sure I would really appreciate any info you have. Thanks. erica
From the NC ESC website:
"Unless otherwise instructed, a claimant must seek work in person on two different days with at least two different employers"

Link:
https://www.ncesc1.com/individual/we...applyBegin.asp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina