Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 02:23 PM

559 posts, read 1,466,379 times

Advertisements

Ok. I looked for decent paying, mid level salary paying jobs and I have come to the conclusion that you have to be: an oil rig worker, a plumbing apprentice/journeyman, bee keep, or be a nurse to get a job in Minot. It truly and completely baffles me that this town has such horrible job positions available and when anything good does come along, you basically have to be the cousin of a cousin of a friend of an uncle or you're screwed. Is there ANYWHERE ANYONE can think of where I can find jobs that pay around $35,000. I'm not even asking that much! But this low pay, barely above minimum wage crap is not cutting it anymore. I have a bachelor's degree, will have a master's degree in February, it's in psychology which pretty much would allow me to do anything, you would think, since most jobs you are working and relating with people. So what do people do in Minot for jobs? Seriously. I wanna know. And hook me up with one, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 04:12 PM

39 posts, read 79,034 times
Question have you tried applying for positions on the Job Service North Dakota link (www.jobsnd.com). I know that volunteering may be good also whenever you have time; this a good way to meet people. Also, are you currently a student at a local university because I know that Career Services help with job positions, at least currently at the school I am attending in North Dakota (Online)?

Old 09-02-2010, 02:56 PM

Yes I've done Jobsnd all year and they never come up with anything for me. No, I'm not attending Minot State I'm getting my master's online and I am also having problems trying to find an internship here, which is the last thing I have to do to get my master's so I'm pretty much screwed both ways...can't find a decent job or an internship. It's highly frustrating and I already don't like small towns and this is part of the reason. I'm not sure where I would volunteer? Any ideas?

Old 09-02-2010, 02:57 PM

Rephrase: I am getting my master's online and the school is based in another state.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:15 PM

431 posts, read 1,606,228 times
Saying you have a degree in psychology is like saying, "do you want fries with that?". Psychologist need a doctorates degree to work in a medical or college position. Most businesses are looking for accounting and management degrees and experience if you have any. Have you considered sales?

Old 09-03-2010, 01:36 PM

I have my bachelor's in psychology and I am working on my master's in mental health counseling, I am already well aware of what I need in this field and what I can and cannot do with my degree. I am not trying to be a psychologist. I am not even trying to get a job in the mental health field! I am just trying to find a job that pays medium average pay until I can complete my masters or until my husband can get the heck of out this town! What kind of sales? I am not a salesperson...I canont work on commission because I would not get any! ha ha. I don't really care what the job is at this point I would just like one that pays average 35,000 salary pay.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:16 PM

39 posts, read 79,034 times
I would try hospitals, local state agencies, school districts to volunteer. And IO would probably try state /federal to apply for jobs. Question is there an VA hospital in the area the salary is good in most of the positions at the VA hospital? I noticed that Fargo, ND had many opportunities (cost of living cheaper/brand new homes/apartment townhomes), but to far from your location and you plan to leave once your husband orders changed. I would try being friends with some people in the area because sometimes it's not what you know it's who you know; I think you can tell them about your current job situation, they may know some people that are currently hiring.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:33 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
I have my bachelor's in psychology and I am working on my master's in mental health counseling, I am already well aware of what I need in this field and what I can and cannot do with my degree. I am not trying to be a psychologist. I am not even trying to get a job in the mental health field! I am just trying to find a job that pays medium average pay until I can complete my masters or until my husband can get the heck of out this town! What kind of sales? I am not a salesperson...I canont work on commission because I would not get any! ha ha. I don't really care what the job is at this point I would just like one that pays average 35,000 salary pay.
Did you work at the Boys Ranch for a time? I was thinking you did...or maybe it was just mentioned as a possible place. My wife is an LICSW at Altru hospital in Grand Forks and she grew up in Minot and is friends with a therapist at the Boys Ranch (Suzi)....although I think she is in the process of starting her own practice. But without your masters....you arent likely to find anything paying up to 35k in your field as my wife learned.

My question....is what experience do you have for any job where you would start at 35k.... in my field (meteorology) if you are fortunate enough to get into the government for a weather job you start at GS-5 which is around 31k to start. I know Target is always hiring and that is at least a way to get out and not sit and stir about what a terrible spot you are in. Any money helps

Old 09-09-2010, 07:39 PM

I had worked at the Boys Ranch for awhile but it didn't pan out...I do have a full time job right now. It's not in my field and I'm not necessarily looking for anything in my field but I was offered a job in a small town outside Dallas but my husband found out then we were moving shortly so I had to decline but it was $15 an hr and on call once a month and when I was on call it was $90 an hr. And this was in a small town! I am not sure why Minot does not pay very well. I am just wondering if there are any jobs in Minot that pay well at all. I have several friends who have degrees in things like Bible Studies and Christian studies and they make $20 an hr doing clerical work in towns smaller than Minot. This just seems strange to me, is all.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:10 AM

350 posts, read 570,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
I had worked at the Boys Ranch for awhile but it didn't pan out...I do have a full time job right now. It's not in my field and I'm not necessarily looking for anything in my field but I was offered a job in a small town outside Dallas but my husband found out then we were moving shortly so I had to decline but it was $15 an hr and on call once a month and when I was on call it was $90 an hr. And this was in a small town! I am not sure why Minot does not pay very well. I am just wondering if there are any jobs in Minot that pay well at all. I have several friends who have degrees in things like Bible Studies and Christian studies and they make $20 an hr doing clerical work in towns smaller than Minot. This just seems strange to me, is all.
Have you tried applying at ING? Most of their listings advertise for anyone with at least a high school degree. If all else fails, you could probably get hired at their call center or something of that nature. It might even pay better than what you're doing now. Good luck, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota