Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 09:37 AM

559 posts, read 1,466,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
---And when forced to move here or live here by the government----

Whoa !

Your husband is the one in the military ( not you)
He voluntarily enlisted and should have known you get assigned to places that might not be his first choice.

You are not being forced by the government for anything.
You voluntarily married your husband and should have known what military life would be like when you got married.
First of all: We were married BEFORE he joined the military. I didn't even know there was a base in North Dakota. North Dakota was not even listed as choice.

Second of all: I do not advocate divorce or living separately. That's just stupid. Why be married if you aren't living together?

Third of all: You obviously have no experience with military. It doesn't matter who is in the military, if you are family, you are also in the military. Also, I grew up in a military family. I know all about the military. That does not mean I have to like anywhere they move us to and it does not mean I have to enjoy it. I am entitled to my opinions as is everyone else. And also during the recession and seeing what offers are out there, as in no offers whatsoever, this was the best decision for us financially. We thought we would be moving around every couple years or so...I did not think we were going to be based in midwestern barreness for 8 years. They try hard to hide the fact that they even have a base in North Dakota becuase no one wants to get stationed here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 10:28 AM

39 posts, read 79,027 times
Question do like products that are made by Mark Kay, If so I could help you find an consultant in your area, this is a way that you could meet other people. Also, they may be able to tell you about some other things in your area that you may not know about. I think this may really allow you to meet some other people.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:15 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
I agree with you totally and completely. There are no opportunities in ND. And when forced to move here and live here by the government and they don't give you an expectancy of how long you will live here, help you find jobs, help you with loans you can't pay back with these low wages...it can be become a very stressful time. Our wages are enough to help us now, but if we want to get away and take vacations we can't. If something happens to one of us or our cars or our houses, we can't afford to pay those bills. We barely have enough to save anything at the end of the month. So when people say that if you live simply these wages are enough, I am not sure exactly what they mean. We don't have cable. We don't go out at all during the week and only go out to dinner once on the weekend. That's four times a month. We don't go to the mall, we don't shop online. We don't do any of these things that are considered excess but I can tell you...these wages are not enough. ND is not enough. I am thoroughly frustrated with trying to find jobs. Trying to create a better life for us when it is seemingly impossible. But I suppose there are people like that everywhere.

Oh, I'm sure I know a little bit about the militaty.

I was drafted and served in the Navy.

My son enlisted in the Navy and retired after 20 years.

Numerous 6 month deployments on a ship while his wife and 2 kids were stateside .

However, I don't feel it is the military/government's responsibility to --help you find jobs--for every sevicemember's wife.

(especially not with the criteria that they pay at least-- $35,000--annual wages

You think a spouse is the same as an enlisted man?

When you have to raise your right hand for enlistment/re-enlistman I'll belive it !

Old 09-25-2010, 12:07 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
First of all: We were married BEFORE he joined the military. I didn't even know there was a base in North Dakota. North Dakota was not even listed as choice.
Since at least 2002, I have known that there was an AFB in Minot. I heard it from a AF reservist when I lived in Southern CA.

I'm sure there are far worse places they could send you, but nonetheless I wish you luck and happiness.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:06 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
If I were signing a 4 year obligated contract of employment, I'll bet I would know the places in the US I could be obligated to be sent.

Minot AFB and Grand Forks AFB sure aren't so obscure that few AF people heard of them.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Oh, I'm sure I know a little bit about the militaty.

I was drafted and served in the Navy.

My son enlisted in the Navy and retired after 20 years.

Numerous 6 month deployments on a ship while his wife and 2 kids were stateside .

However, I don't feel it is the military/government's responsibility to --help you find jobs--for every sevicemember's wife.

(especially not with the criteria that they pay at least-- $35,000--annual wages

You think a spouse is the same as an enlisted man?

When you have to raise your right hand for enlistment/re-enlistman I'll belive it !
I never asked for the military to find me a job. Also, I tried to go into the military as an officer and they aren't accepting outside the mlitary at this point. I did not say I was the same as my husband I said I am just as much in the military as he is. Whatever happens to him DIRECTLY affects me, as whatever you did directly affected your family. I do think that if the military really cared about their people, they would help to find jobs or have more jobs available on base that pay more than minimum wage so their enlisted members are not struggling with bills and worrying about money because their spouse can't find a decent job but I NEVER ONCE SAID I thought it was the job of the military to find me a job that pays 35k. I said statistics show that people with a college degree come out making 35k nationwide and if this is true where are the jobs? I also complained about the fact that it's stupid to have a base where there are limited job opportunities, in my opinion, but again, never said the military should find me a job while I sit on my butt. I have been looking and applying and doing my part to find a job. If the military had an easy to use job service for civilians, yes, that would be excellent.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
If I were signing a 4 year obligated contract of employment, I'll bet I would know the places in the US I could be obligated to be sent.

Minot AFB and Grand Forks AFB sure aren't so obscure that few AF people heard of them.
I had never heard of them before then again, I rarely even thought about North Dakota. It's just a state you kinda forget exists. I do recall now though that my husband mentioned it as place we could get but he just mentioned it briefly but he wasn't told this until he had already signed up and was in boot camp. They also didn't give him his orders until the day before he graduated tech school. Very nice to let us know in advance but I'm used to that by now. I heard a lot about if then after I told many people about it. Everything I heard about it was bad. I didn't hear anything good about it so maybe my perception was already biased before I moved here but I confirm what I heard now. As for worse places to be sent...I'm not sure about that. I'm sure there are some...but I can't think of any. The only thing I am upset about is how the economy is sooooooooo good here and they have all these jobs...but they don't. That's what I'm complaining about. The cost of living isn't lower, gas prices aren't lower, entertainment isn't lower, wages are lower, jobs are available but they are low paying jobs and it's just as hard to get a job here as it is in any other state. That's what I'm saying. If good paying jobs are so plentiful here, where are they?

Old 09-29-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySun View Post
Question do like products that are made by Mark Kay, If so I could help you find an consultant in your area, this is a way that you could meet other people. Also, they may be able to tell you about some other things in your area that you may not know about. I think this may really allow you to meet some other people.
I actually just sold my whole Mary Kay inventory on ebay because after a yr I just wasn't successful in selling anything here and I wasn't even active anymore. I tried everything I could and I just couldn't get anyone.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:41 AM

350 posts, read 570,275 times
Quote:
If good paying jobs are so plentiful here, where are they?
Jobs are definitely plentiful, but they probably just aren't the types of jobs you're looking for. I know when I drive down Broadway in Minot, almost every business has a NOW HIRING sign posted or is at least looking for some kind of seasonal help. Yeah, they are mostly fast food restaurants and the like, but they're still jobs. Also, the JOBS ND site has pages and pages of listings for positions around Minot, so I'm not sure how you haven't found at least one area you're interested in.

You also have to remember that North Dakota is a BIG state. Just because you can't find work in Minot, doesn't mean the entire state fails when it comes to jobs.

For now, my advice is to make the best of what you have an try to find some form of contentment. Eight years of living in a place you detest is a miserable life for anyone. You've only been here a year anyway... Let down your walls of resistance and I think even the barren plains of ND will grow on you. Loosen up, have a drink, go to the lake, ride a snowmobile for God's sake. It's not all bad.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopefish View Post
Jobs are definitely plentiful, but they probably just aren't the types of jobs you're looking for. I know when I drive down Broadway in Minot, almost every business has a NOW HIRING sign posted or is at least looking for some kind of seasonal help. Yeah, they are mostly fast food restaurants and the like, but they're still jobs. Also, the JOBS ND site has pages and pages of listings for positions around Minot, so I'm not sure how you haven't found at least one area you're interested in.

You also have to remember that North Dakota is a BIG state. Just because you can't find work in Minot, doesn't mean the entire state fails when it comes to jobs.

For now, my advice is to make the best of what you have an try to find some form of contentment. Eight years of living in a place you detest is a miserable life for anyone. You've only been here a year anyway... Let down your walls of resistance and I think even the barren plains of ND will grow on you. Loosen up, have a drink, go to the lake, ride a snowmobile for God's sake. It's not all bad.
I have found areas that interest me in jobs but only a few in the past year and I didn't even get an interview for those. Didn't even get a call back. Other than that, all I see are RN positions and oil rig jobs and fast food places. First two I'm not qualified for and the second I'm over qualified for. I would love to be somewhere other than Minot but it's not going to happen. There probably are jobs in other cities in ND...but probably only Fargo or Grand Forks. Unfortunately, too far to drive. I will never like ND. It's not just my resistance, it's just I don't like it period. I didn't say there wasn't anything good about the place...it's um, doesn't have a lot of traffic? I guess that's good. And it's close to Canada and I love Winnipeg. So that's good. The base housing is nice...and the summers aren't hot. Those are good things but I'd still trade them in a second to leave lol. Anyway, all I did for the few months here was drink. It got old. We don't have a boat so I'm not sure what we would do on the lake...and we don't own a snow mobile although that does look fun. We just can't afford expensive toys like that. I don't have any friends who have these things...so limited choices. Limited resources. Limited jobs. It's not that I haven't given this place a chance...it's just that this place stonewalls everything I would like to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota