Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 09:41 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,253,570 times

Advertisements

Congrats on the better news. Did you already sell your house in WB or are you renting it out now?

I'm always fascinated by people who are able to buy and then a couple years later buy another house. Maybe you guys are lotto winners.

PS Oh and you'll be very close to your college son now, double awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 11:22 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,138,697 times
The grass aint always greener .. But good luck in your new dwelling .. I call it a dwelling cause its not a " Home ""yet ..

Old 09-17-2012, 11:46 AM

24,099 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
What do you plan on doing with your WB house? If you think that you will have a hard time selling it and will have to take a big loss in order to sell it, you might want to consider renting it.

You can deduct up to $25,000 per year from your US income tax for expenses related to rental property, including repairs, management fees, depreciation, etc. AND travel expenses to inspect your property.

Sorry about your sad experiences here and I sincerely hope things work out better for you in Ohio.
Thanks! As a family we have never moved in our lives - I'd still say it was a qualified success! It got us off Long Island which I've grown to loath and on to the Mainland US.
I know about the deduction, we've had rental property before and this is what we're doing! Thanks for the tip though.

That's why I can safely say we'll be back! We have roots here too. We love many aspects of living here and we will miss it. Not my block, but many people and many other things about the area.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:10 PM

7,924 posts, read 9,149,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Thanks! As a family we have never moved in our lives - I'd still say it was a qualified success! It got us off Long Island which I've grown to loath and on to the Mainland US.
I know about the deduction, we've had rental property before and this is what we're doing! Thanks for the tip though.

That's why I can safely say we'll be back! We have roots here too. We love many aspects of living here and we will miss it. Not my block, but many people and many other things about the area.
Being a landlord, won't you still have to deal with the idiots across the street? If tenants are assaulted by the idiots, does your not warning the tenants of your experience put you at risk of being sued? Never been a landlord, and wondered if it would be like knowingly selling someone a house with dangerous unsafe conditions.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
The grass aint always greener .. But good luck in your new dwelling .. I call it a dwelling cause its not a " Home ""yet ..
Dwelling is fine, Riverside. The grass in a place where your being beaten isn't green it's red with blood.
So the grass there is greener.

Also Riv, I moved once in my life, not 90 times I mean I'm not exactly a Gypsy. I've moved once in my adult life - from LI to here. That does not exactly constitute a grass is always greener scenario.

And I don't expect everything to be perfect any where. But when the bad starts to equal or out way the good, in people who don't fear change; the rubber hits the road.

Make sense?

Old 09-17-2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Being a landlord, won't you still have to deal with the idiots across the street? If tenants are assaulted by the idiots, does your not warning the tenants of your experience put you at risk of being sued? Never been a landlord, and wondered if it would be like knowingly selling someone a house with dangerous unsafe conditions.
No.I have it covered. I don't need to explaine everything to everyone, but I'll be nice.

The people buying the house rent on the street. They know it as well as I do.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Congratulations on your new house. I presume that we will still hear from you. Let us know what you think of Ohio.

I loved their roadwork. I like to watch workers that have a game plan and work efficiently. Most of my experience with Ohio was with trucking. It was one of the few states that I would see whole families in the truck stops, for a meal, before or after church. It seemed very family oriented.

Good luck and have a safe and easy move.
Hear from me? Sure you will! I still have a heart for this area, I DON'T hate it here!

Old 09-18-2012, 12:44 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,096,048 times
I'm confused.
Whats this post from June 12, 2012 all about?
http://www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/...ardman-oh.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Can any of you tell me something about Boardman? Schools? People? Friendly?" What is there to do?

I am looking at a home on Meadowbrook Ave with a Mother in Law suite.
I have a job offer in the works, as does my wife.

Is it a very conservative area? I'm a bit left of center and a Democrat. I'm Jewish my wife Protestant.

Thanks.
And more confusion...This post is where you say you have two more children instead of the two you live with in WB, that's right on June 30th, 2012 you have 4 children, but since the fight you only have two, one in college and a daughter in 11th grade... OR were you already counting the NEW ADOPTION that hasn't taken place yet?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ohio/...elocation.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Hi:We have four children, one going to an Ohio College this fall and another going into 11th grade and two in middle and elementary school. Our religious background is Lutheran and Jewish and have an Asian daughter and we are moderate democrats, but progressive in nature. We love older homes and don't mind living in the city or a surrounding suburbs. We are fine with diversity but don't want to be the minority. Earlier we asked about Boardman, but no one had anything good to say about it. Does anyone have any suggestions about an area that we would feel comfortable in?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 09-19-2012 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: edited out rude comments

Old 09-18-2012, 09:38 AM

1,080 posts, read 2,256,844 times
Good luck Sheena! I've been following all of this and hope for the best for you and your family.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:03 PM

8,056 posts, read 7,425,854 times
Good Luck, Sheena. We just visited eastern Ohio (Cleveland and environs) over the summer, and it seems like a nice area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania