Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2008, 01:35 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,108,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coartist88 View Post
Refrain from selling the area? to whom? where did you live before? I will refrain from nothing! I will post what ever I please! If you don't like the area than why are you staying here? You seem to have a negative attitude towards the area, But I must give you credit you do know alot of whats going on, But you also like generalizing transplants which you do not even know, and you can't read minds so how do you know what I know about the area just because I have this home since 2006. I really don't have to sell the area there are people coming out from NY,NJ, and Philly anyway.So again if you think it is so bad why do you stay and not move?

I have lived here for over 25 years and my mother was born and raised here and her family has been here for over a hundred years. Typical NEW YORKER, you buy a house here and feel that you gives you some kind of right to come in here and tell the residents or LOCALS what they should and shouldn't be complaining about. I have watched this happen at the NJ shore my whole life

I have a negative attitude towards to the leadership in the area or more particularly Scranton. You have yet to see me bash anything that is not tied to the gov't in Scranton. I love it here thats why I am so outspoken about it.

You owned your home in Clarks Summit for a whole 2 years and you already know soo much about the area that you feel that you should tell me that I should move? Four years ago while you were watching cellblock D I was cleaning the river out of my house and two years ago while you were closing on your new home I was cleaning the river out again so please don't you think that your going to tell me what I should and should not do. I also live next to my elderly father that needs my help on a daily basis so I have my reasons for staying, just like you have your reasons for moving.

You and the rest of your transplant friends are not our saviors so please don't feel like you are and expect somekind of a thank you from us for moving here.

As far as your generalizations my parents lived in the North Pocono school district and thats where I grew up which then as now was the fastest growing school district due to transplants and I saw and continue to see the wonders they have done for that area.

I also worked and commuted to the NJ/NYC area for probably 12 years and my dad did it for 25 years. We maintained a house in NJ and a business there for over 40 years. Your generalization of Pennsyltuckey is just as bad.

I think maybe that you have proven the one generalization of the NYers that pops up whether here or the NJ shore, the minute they move somewhere they automatically think that they own that area and know whats right for everyone.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:54 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,785,146 times
[/quote] Yes, I have a roof over my head, food on the table, and heat emanating from the radiators, but so does almost all of our nation!
[quote]

I gotta disagree with you with this statement, so many people do not have food, heat and a roof over their heads in this country, i don't know where you think that most people do.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:43 PM

2,317 posts, read 5,134,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
I have lived here for over 25 years and my mother was born and raised here and her family has been here for over a hundred years. Typical NEW YORKER, you buy a house here and feel that you gives you some kind of right to come in here and tell the residents or LOCALS what they should and shouldn't be complaining about. I have watched this happen at the NJ shore my whole life

I have a negative attitude towards to the leadership in the area or more particularly Scranton. You have yet to see me bash anything that is not tied to the gov't in Scranton. I love it here thats why I am so outspoken about it.

You owned your home in Clarks Summit for a whole 2 years and you already know soo much about the area that you feel that you should tell me that I should move? Four years ago while you were watching cellblock D I was cleaning the river out of my house and two years ago while you were closing on your new home I was cleaning the river out again so please don't you think that your going to tell me what I should and should not do. I also live next to my elderly father that needs my help on a daily basis so I have my reasons for staying, just like you have your reasons for moving.

You and the rest of your transplant friends are not our saviors so please don't feel like you are and expect somekind of a thank you from us for moving here.

As far as your generalizations my parents lived in the North Pocono school district and thats where I grew up which then as now was the fastest growing school district due to transplants and I saw and continue to see the wonders they have done for that area.

I also worked and commuted to the NJ/NYC area for probably 12 years and my dad did it for 25 years. We maintained a house in NJ and a business there for over 40 years. Your generalization of Pennsyltuckey is just as bad.

I think maybe that you have proven the one generalization of the NYers that pops up whether here or the NJ shore, the minute they move somewhere they automatically think that they own that area and know whats right for everyone.
First off I respect that you are taking care of your Dad, that is admirable and says something good about you. Now as far as the other stuff, cell block D, what the hell is that, you are watching too much T.V (generalizing about correction officers) not only have I worked in the jail on Rikers Island but have worked ESU(emergency service unit) and other specialized details including during 911 working in front of the medical examiners office ready to unload victims remains, also have worked the forensic units in Kings county Hospital,and Bellevue Hospital, we also have a gang intelligence unit, I could go on, Oh and by the way what other places did you live, you didn't mention that,I'll tell it to you like this in a nutshell..My family and I came out this way for a better quality of life, lower cost of living, I never once said you should move, I said " If you don't like it why are you staying? You don't need to thank me and my transplant friends as you once again generalize all of us,
and how do we think we own the area, well not yet (LOL) As far as me generalizing the locals I love the people out here, My neighbors and people in the community welcomed us with open arms, It was overwelming how we were treated,we have been to there homes for dinners and parties,The neighbors even did a party for us moving in, I could never generalize the PA people, But I see you are a very proud person,And you do want to see the area do well by your attitude towards the leadership, I really think you blew this whole thing out of whack, But I must say one thing we TYPICAL NEW YORKERS are coming out here with money to buy homes and business and are putting money into the community and buying foreclosed homes, whats wrong with that, who said we are being a savior, just looking for a better place to call home and live in a better quality of life,All the people I know that came out here are good law abiding people, But we can agree to disagree with this whole thread, but I don't take this forum personal and I like the response you gave even thought I may not agree with all of it.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:23 PM

I'm done arguing with you. I didn't list the places that I lived because I didn't feel that the list was important. If you want to know PA, NJ, MD, UT, CO, St. Thomas, Cat Island (Bahamas), England, Switzerland, Israel and sometime in Pompano Beach Fl.. I have traveled in France, Italy, Egypt, Jordan, Ireland, Turks and Caicos. I have been around and have decided that this is where I need to be right now and my wife, son and I all love it here. We can agree to disagree on everything else thats fine with me.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:26 PM

32,621 posts, read 77,695,048 times
Quote:
Interesting indeed. You can make unfounded accusations about residents of an entire state this bluntly and not get called out on it, yet when I imply that our region is being overlooked by high-tech, high-paying employers because our local workforce lags behind the rest of the state and nation in terms of education and skill level, it becomes implied that I am either an ageist or elitist. When I DO buy a house in the Hill Section, are you going to tell me the same thing you told coartist88? Are you going to imply that YOU have more of a right to have an opinion on the community simply because family Hubbard has had its homestead in the Electric City for over a century while we "newbies" didn't have that luxury? I can already see the future arguments now. Currently you, CHS89, and a few others tell me to butt out because I don't own property in the city. Fair enough. However, five years from now when I'm deeply entrenched and paying taxes on my own home in the city, I'll probably be facing an altered argument of "you haven't lived here long enough yet to form a credible opinion." What exactly is this magic invisible threshold that makes one's opinions about their community valid or nonsense?

Like it or not Scranton is destined to become a satellite city of New York City/Northern New Jersey. We have the low cost-of-living, above-average schools, safe streets, low taxes, etc. that people from NYC/NJ/SEPA seek while still being within commutable range to employers in the Lehigh Valley or North Jersey. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre's metropolitan population has grown now for the past several years and is expected to grow more quickly between 2010-2020 as the Poconos start to spill some of their transplants into Moscow, Bear Creek, Mt. Cobb, etc. You can either accept this as being FACT and embrace it, as I have begun to do, or you can continue to whine about the "good 'ole days." There's no looking back now, Dan.

Quote:
You certainly have an eccentric way of showing your "love" for Scranton, don't you? I've continually stated that the only way you're going to see Scranton revitalized is if you can ebb the fleecing of its middle-class to the suburbs so that fewer and fewer residents aren't bearing a greater and greater annual tax burden. How are you going to convince people to move to Scranton? You need to "cheerlead", as I often do (even though I'm now having second thoughts). If I weren't around on this forum to help mitigate your anti-government/anti-city ranting and raving, then people would likely have a much, much dimmer outlook on the future of the city. You do your civic duty to "reveal" the truth about the city's corrupt politics, but that's all you do. You don't post any photos (other than your neighborhood being underwater as a way to slam the city once again), you don't show anything but skepticism about city festivals, parades, new downtown business openings, etc. You try to find the sour side of everything, Dan. You even slammed Rediscover Scranton and Scranton Tomorrow into the ground simply because you don't like the family affilliations of some of their members. Dan, this is city of 72,000 with a very small-town feel to it; you're inevitably going to know everyone here after a while through one acquaintance, employer, message board, relative, etc. of another. You're critical about EVERYTHING that could provide ANY shimmer of hope into restoring the city; how is that going to attract people to move back?

Quote:
Yes, Dan. It is the fault of city government that greedy land developers in the higher-elevated suburbs built on watershed land, stripped hillsides of vegetation, etc. so that record levels of runoff now pour into the Lackawanna River upstream and lead to more frequent flooding than at any other point in its history. It's all Doherty's fault. Had he not driven so many businesses, residents, etc. out of the city, then Wal-Mart might have decided to build in Pinebrook and Glenmaura might have been developed in Hyde Park. I respect you for taking care of your parents, but I don't know why you always bring it up to defend yourself. We all think it's awesome that you're a wonderful, devoted son; we're not attacking you for that. We instead attack you for attacking not only the image of elected officials in the city, but also the image of the city at-large. It's sad when the most vocal supporter of the city on a message board with nearly 300,000 members is a suburbanite.

Quote:
I, for one, will thank him for moving here. Furthermore, I'd like to thank him for moving to the borough of Clarks Summit instead of the blood-sucking sprawltropolis they call South Abington Township. Clarks Summit's population has been nosediving in recent years as a first-tier suburb while South Abington Township has been siphoning off of it. I've always liked "The Summit," and I've always found the "keeping up with the Jones's" aura exuded by the nuevo riche of South Abington Township to be repulsive. I wish more New York City/New Jersey transplants would flood into our boroughs and cities in Lackawanna and Luzerne Counties to help restore their dwindling tax bases, but sadly most are moving to the McMansion communities in our rapidly-growing townships (including my own).

Quote:
That's the fault of Munchak (idiot) & Cordaro (idiot) for not caring much about long-range planning in the county. Many communities, counties, etc. across the nation are implementing growth boundaries in order to redirect new growth exclusively into specially designated areas, namely near existing population centers, in order to curtail urban sprawl and preserve open space for future generations. I'm sure most of the transplants would still come if they were told that they had to either purchase an existing home or build a new home inside these growth boundaries. I can think of many local cities and boroughs that have a very desirable quality-of-life in our area (Dunmore, Dallas, Clarks Summit, Laflin, etc.), so one could still have a suburban atmosphere while not technically promoting urban sprawl. It's a win-win situation that you won't ever see implemented in our region because the suggestion of long-range urban planning is met with a "deer in headlights" look by most elected officials in our area. I should know because whenever I happen to attend my township meetings and express sprawl-related concerns to our elected officials, they stumble and mumble all over themselves. I especially plan to ream them out at the next meeting for not having quarterly audits in place that would have permitted them to have noticed that our secretary was embezzling tens of thousands of dollars BEFORE several years had already passed.

Quote:
Dan, like it or not the "Pennsyltucky" comments come from MOST homegrown native peers that I associate myself with as well, including myself. We see how our preceding generation freely makes anti-gay, anti-black, anti-Hispanic, anti-Arabic, etc. comments and jokes, and we cringe to see THEIR peers actually promoting and not correcting this socially irresponsible behavior. At my break room it stung into me like a knife to hear "Heath Ledger must have died of AIDS because all gay people should die of AIDS." When you wonder why so many of my peers flee this area, one need not look further than the fact that such comments are WIDELY-SUPPORTED in our area. If you want our region's "image" to improve, then the people themselves need to enter the 21st Century socially. High-tech white-collar recruiters scouring for a new region to establish themselves in would run away in terror if they saw such boorish behavior being generally accepted, and I can't say I'd blame them. It's been 40 years since the Civil Rights Movement; get with it folks!

Quote:
Funny, Dan, I could say the same about you. You think that anyone who doesn't hold your venemous ideologies against the city government to be blasphemous. I myself don't agree with many of their policies either, but to suggest that they are single-handedly destroying the city is unconscionable. You seem to think you "own" Scranton, or at least your part of it. There are 72,500 direct owners of the city (taxpaying residents) and 550,000 indirect owners of the city (suburbanites whose own images are reflected by the state of the city proper). We all have divergent opinions, and you need to stop insinuating that anyone who doesn't share your "the city is doomed" outlook is merely naive or foolish.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 02-22-2008 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: Text Formatting

Old 02-22-2008, 03:33 PM

46 posts, read 179,948 times
I'm always amused when people just say "well, if you don't like (whatever place it is) why don't you just leave?" Do these people have no imagination whatsoever? I can think of a bazillion reasons, without even trying, why people stay (get stuck) in places they hate. Some of these might be difficulty selling a house, difficulty getting a job as good in another place as the one they have in the place they hate, family they don't want to leave, etc., etc. I'll also mention one that many people never even think of, but it's the reason we found it hard to leave the rural place we lived for several years: we arrived with good skills but they eroded because we lived in a technological backwater where employers didn't pay to keep their workers' skills up to date, and didn't buy new equipment or software. There are a million possible reasons why people get stuck in a place they don't like. And, if they don't like it, they have every right and reason to speak about it - their experience is as valid as that of the president of the local chamber of commerce.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:43 PM

10 posts, read 22,576 times
Sorry to dissappoint you head in the sand people but I have my PA state Insurance license In Virginia I worked for 16 yrs at the circuit court and part time for 7 yrs at a large hospital (my husband died and I needed 2 jobs) I had good ref letters from both places do not know why but the court and the local hospitals did not even call me for an interview???? I studied for and got my state ins lic and still had to struggle for a job seems in the ins world you have to own your business to get the money and those with licenses just do all the work for you...they only pd me $7.50 pr hr no benefits and 35 hrs a week I worked there for 6 yrs and they gave me .50 and hr raise.....now I work a senior helper job which is a glorified maid but I get $9 and hr....We are staying here because we are stuck with a house

Old 02-22-2008, 03:43 PM

32,621 posts, read 77,695,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexia319 View Post
I'm always amused when people just say "well, if you don't like (whatever place it is) why don't you just leave?" Do these people have no imagination whatsoever? I can think of a bazillion reasons, without even trying, why people stay (get stuck) in places they hate. Some of these might be difficulty selling a house, difficulty getting a job as good in another place as the one they have in the place they hate, family they don't want to leave, etc., etc. I'll also mention one that many people never even think of, but it's the reason we found it hard to leave the rural place we lived for several years: we arrived with good skills but they eroded because we lived in a technological backwater where employers didn't pay to keep their workers' skills up to date, and didn't buy new equipment or software. There are a million possible reasons why people get stuck in a place they don't like. And, if they don't like it, they have every right and reason to speak about it - their experience is as valid as that of the president of the local chamber of commerce.
The problem is that the negative overtone of this sub-forum places our region in a precarious Catch-22. The locals gripe about eroding cities, high property taxes, low wages, etc. The only way to ebb these problems are to attract new residents here who can revitalize cities, increase tax bases to help mitigate the property tax burdens placed upon existing residents, boost overall average wages by bringing more marketable skills with them, etc. Who in their right mind would want to pack their bags and relocate to an area where everyone seems to be downright miserable? I'm probably the biggest pom-pom-pusher this sub-forum has, but even to me NEPA has begun to lose its spark.

Optimistic cities attract more residents than ones where everyone seems to be unhappy. By and large the general mood in Scranton seems to be one of despair, hopelessness, depression, etc. Why would someone want to move their families to THAT?! On the other hand, when you look at cities that pat themselves on the back so much it is sickening (Boulder, Seattle, Minneapolis, etc.), they are THRIVING with splendid downtowns, a plethora of quality employers, a sizeable arts/cultural community, etc. If more and more people start to "hype" Scranton, then I'm hopeful that more people will be inclined to visit it, fall in love with it, and wish to move there, open businesses, volunteer, etc.

What good does bitching incessantly do for an area?

Old 02-22-2008, 03:49 PM

Paul listen this is or was a conversation between me and Coartist and we were doing fine without your long winded rants. I know for a fact that I no longer read your rants so whatever you said thats fine with me. I would have thought that maybe you learned something from Kittenspurr but obviously you just go on and on and on and on.............................

The drama is getting old and your youth is becoming annoying. Like I said when you have actually accomplished or should I say done something other then live at home under moms roof while you goto college then your opinion of the world and life would have some substance but until then they are the ramblings of a angry young man thats has nothing to base his opinion on but some stats from the net.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:51 PM

10 posts, read 22,576 times
I'm talking about the pitttsburgh area not scranton or phil I know there are well to do people there but this is the other end of PA you know the place who pays high taxes to your govenor but he won't live here either just visits at election time.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania