Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Support Bishop Martino's Political Stances?
Yes (Why?) 6 26.09%
No (Why?) 17 73.91%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 05:46 PM

703 posts, read 1,547,240 times

Advertisements

I'm a pancetta guy myself.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:06 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,671,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
I'm a pancetta guy myself.

I thought you were giving me your favorite "news guy"name until I looked it up...........LMHO........
Good name for a news guy anyhow.....
On that note........I am off to watch the news.....

Old 02-10-2009, 07:14 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,100,577 times
Quote:
You don't care whether something in the stimulus bill.... provides stimulus?

That does seem to be the attitude of Republicans in Washington. Thank you for so honestly articulating that. It's more than I can say for the GOP's elected officials and operatives like Glenn Beck and the Fox News team. Frankly, the so called "pork" they cut out for the large part were the most stimulus-providing provisions in the whole bill.

NO my point was that the grass or the mall should have NEVER been included in the bill because the $200,000,000 could be better spent on our nations infastructure.

Water, sewer, roads, bridges, updated electrical gride across the nation and other various things of importance in day to day life for ALL americans is where that money should be spent.

These types of projects provide LASTING and sustainable employment for decades. Look at the water tunnels in NYC that have kept generations of workers employed on the same project. Not on seasonal or short lived jobs sprucing up and fixing the nations capital and its tourist spots.

When you car is at the bottom of a river because the bridge you were on collapsed you'll pass in peace knowing that you gave your life so the national mall looked pretty for the new prez.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:35 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,660,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
When did Ann Coulter join our message board?! Can I have your autograph!?
You most certainly can Paul.

Commish, you sound like a good guy, but do get a little confrontational while debating. It's all cool though.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:57 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,660,773 times
How about we mention that wonderful politician from Massachusetts, Barney Frank, member of the U.S. House of Representatives. He is part of the reason we're in this financial mess with sub-prime mortgages and screwing up Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae. It's him and his cronies who believe everyone is entitled to a home, even if they can't afford it. So, this is why there are so many foreclosures and houses for sale, because people who didn't deserve homes got them and then couldn't pay for them. He took campaign contributions from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac ($42,350 between 1989 and 2008). The donations influenced his support of their lending programs, and he has been partially blamed for not playing a stronger role in reforming Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac in the years leading up to this current economic crisis we're in. Another example of a Democrat looking out for the good of the country, yeah right!!

Old 02-10-2009, 08:45 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,345,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
How about we mention that wonderful politician from Massachusetts, Barney Frank, member of the U.S. House of Representatives. He is part of the reason we're in this financial mess with sub-prime mortgages and screwing up Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae. It's him and his cronies who believe everyone is entitled to a home, even if they can't afford it. So, this is why there are so many foreclosures and houses for sale, because people who didn't deserve homes got them and then couldn't pay for them. He took campaign contributions from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac ($42,350 between 1989 and 2008). The donations influenced his support of their lending programs, and he has been partially blamed for not playing a stronger role in reforming Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac in the years leading up to this current economic crisis we're in. Another example of a Democrat looking out for the good of the country, yeah right!!
Barney Frank told wait I mean pleaded with the Bush Administration that the banks were out of control. Bush just didn't listen. Bush didn't like banks I suppose. Mr. Frank has NO remorse or liability for the Banks and the US Financial system melt down......but wait is he not the chairperson responsible for the US Banks & Finance committee? Was he sleeping during the various hearings over the last few years were person after person were paraded in and told the committee something is seriously wrong with the US Banking system. Must be he was to focused on Bush and his presidency to see that the Bank boat full of equity left the vault! Wake up Mr. Frank this happened under your watch.

If Government can tell executives what their pay should because they took and possibly mis used US tax payers money WHY oh WHY can't we limit Congressional pay for misuse of OUR Tax payers money??? Congress should feel the pain the rest of us 'working' Americans feel everyday. Why are they insulated from the people so much when they are suppose to represent each of us? Their approval rate is less than Bush's was when he was in office. But they just got a pay increase Jan 1, 2009 that amounted to over $4700 per person!

Congress please get on board and take a 10% pay cut and cut your Staffs by 10% to help 'OUR' country through this critical period. Please.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
NO my point was that the grass or the mall should have NEVER been included in the bill because the $200,000,000 could be better spent on our nations infastructure.

Water, sewer, roads, bridges, updated electrical gride across the nation and other various things of importance in day to day life for ALL americans is where that money should be spent.

These types of projects provide LASTING and sustainable employment for decades. Look at the water tunnels in NYC that have kept generations of workers employed on the same project. Not on seasonal or short lived jobs sprucing up and fixing the nations capital and its tourist spots.

When you car is at the bottom of a river because the bridge you were on collapsed you'll pass in peace knowing that you gave your life so the national mall looked pretty for the new prez.
Well, I certainly agree with you that that we should be spending more on infrastructure (particularly mass transit, but a lot of those projects aren't shovel-ready). You'll definitely have no argument from me there. And it's definitely interesting that you're breaking the party-line on this one and adopting the view of the liberal critics of the stimulus bill, at least on the need for increasing spending on infrastructure.

But I guess we'll just have to disagree that renovating the National Mall won't help accomplish the goal of the stimulus bill: providing stimulus. They all can't create jobs like the ones you describe: those that provide long-term jobs (although I will admit that those jobs give the most bang for the stimulus buck). And the moderate Repulican Senators who helped the bill pass had no intention of adding or replacing anything; just cutting things from the Bill. So instead of a National Mall Renovation Project that would have created jobs, we have *nothing* to replace it.

But I agree with you generally.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:28 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,100,577 times
Quote:
And it's definitely interesting that you're breaking the party-line on this one and adopting the view of the liberal critics of the stimulus bill, at least on the need for increasing spending on infrastructure.
Which party line? You do realize that I'm not a republican right? I'm just not an overly liberal democrat.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Which party line? You do realize that I'm not a republican right? I'm just not an overly liberal democrat.
Interesting.

Independent or Blue Dog of sorts? I'm registered Democrat so I can vote in the primaries (my first vote was for Senator Casey in his failed gubernatorial primary bid against Governor Rendell 7 years ago.) But ideally I'm somewhere out in Bernie Saunders land (literally and figuratively-- Vermont's a nice place).

Old 02-11-2009, 07:12 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,671,723 times
Quote:

Exactly...........the POINT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania