Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Support Bishop Martino's Political Stances?
Yes (Why?) 6 26.09%
No (Why?) 17 73.91%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 10:09 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,270 times

Advertisements

Here's what I've garnered from reading these threads about Scranton.
Negatives:
1) All the politicians are corrupt & have beggared the city.
2) Scranton has the highest unemployment rate in the nation.
3) There's tons of empty buildings that cannot attract business.
4) Businesses are closing right & left.
5) The city is totally crime-ridden to where it's not safe to walk the streets.
6) Buildings are crumbling with decay.
7) Residents are drunks & brainless idiots.
8) NYers have inflitrated the area & brought in Section 8 housing.
9) Gangs & drugs are rampant.
10) Wages for the few existing jobs are sub-standard.
11) Mexicans & other ethnics are taking over the area.
Positives:
1) Nice old architecture (though crumbling with decay).
2) Beautiful scenery

Now this is the cumulative view that an "outsider" who's never been to Scranton is getting from reading the threads just here on CD.

If I was looking to relocate, Scranton SURE'S HELL wouldn't be looking too good to me!!

If it's THAT bad there, why do people choose to remain there or move there?? If I was THAT miserable living in an area it'd be my FIRST priority to get the hell outta there!!!

Let the games begin......

Old 02-03-2009, 10:14 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
George, that's EXACTLY my point! "Outsiders" researching Scranton as a place to visit, live, or maybe even open a business see forums like this one and DohertyDeceit and probably think "What the hell was I thinking?!!" before high-tailing it in the opposing direction. I'm not saying "mislead" people. I'm saying present people with the cons AND pros of the city so that they can make an informed decision. Most on this forum would make you think that the city's great-great-grandchildren will be paying $10,000/year property taxes to repay a debt incurred by the least lucid mayor in U.S. history, all the while being expected to dodge subsidence-sized potholes and fear getting shot by political adversaries.

A city like Scranton needs FRESH BLOOD to turn itself around. How are you going to get that if you continuously tell everyone "Stay out! For the love of God RUNNN!!!??"

Old 02-03-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
"Stay out! For the love of God RUNNN!!!??"
LOL!! That's what I'd say if I saw you dressed as a woman (like it said on the penguin mascot thread...)

Love to see THAT pic!!!

Old 02-03-2009, 01:33 PM

IT BURNSS!!!

Old 02-03-2009, 03:43 PM

Default Outta The Mouths Of Babes....

Kids were asked questions about the old and new testaments. The following statements about the bible were written by children they have not been retouched or corrected. Incorrect spelling has been left in.

.................................................. ...........................................

1. In the first book of the bible, guinessis. God got tired of creating the world so he took the sabbath off.

2. Adam and eve were created from an apple tree. Noah's wife was joan of ark. Noah built and ark and the animals came on in pears.

3. Lots wife was a pillar of salt during the day, but a ball of fire during the night.

4. The jews were a proud people and throughout history they had trouble with unsympathetic genitals.

5. Sampson was a strongman who let himself be led astray by a jezebel like delilah.

6. Samson slayed the philistines with the axe of the apostles.

7. Moses led the jews to the red sea where they made unleavened bread which is bread without any ingredients.

8, the egyptians were all drowned in the dessert. Afterwards, moses went up to mount cyanide to get the ten commandments

9. The first commandments was when eve told adam to eat the apple.

10. The seventh commandment is thou shalt not admit adultery.

11. Moses died before he ever reached canada then joshua led the hebrews in the battle of geritol.

12. The greatest miricle in the bible is when joshua told his son to stand still and he obeyed him.

13. David was a hebrew king who was skilled at pla ying the liar. He fought the finkelsteins, a race of people who lived in biblical times.

14. Solomon, one of davids sons, had 300 wives and 700 porcupines.

15. When mary heard she was the mother of jesus, she sang the magna carta.

16. When the three wise guys from the east side arrived they found jesus in the manager.

17. Jesus was born because mary had an immaculate contraption.

18. St. John the blacksmith dumped water on his head.

19. Jesus enunciated the golden rule, which says to do unto others before they do one to you. He also explained a man doth not live by sweat alone.

20. It was a miricle when jesus rose from the dead and managed to get the tombstone off the entrance.

21. The people who followed the lord were called the 12 decibels.

22. The epistels were the wives of the apostles.

23. One of the oppossums was st. Matthew who was also a taximan.

24. St. Paul cavorted to christianity, he preached holy acrimony which is another name for marraige.

25. Christians have only one spouse. This is called monotony.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:02 AM

904 posts, read 2,055,364 times
Back to politics... Now I see why DiBileo is on the fence, after racking up 180k in debt last time around.

Doherty has $42G in campaign coffer | News | thetimes-tribune.com - The Times-Tribune (http://www.scrantontimes.com/articles/2009/02/04/news/sc_times_trib.20090204.a.pg3.tt04campaignmoney_s1. 2279282_top7.txt - broken link)

Heh, Doherty runs his campaign solidly in the black.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:35 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post

Heh, Doherty runs his campaign solidly in the black.
Too bad he can't run the city like that...

Old 02-04-2009, 01:13 PM

Default Council Speakers Threatened

Would anyone care to explain to me why Joanne Williams, Rev. Kathryn Simmons, and other pro-Doherty folks are now being THREATENED for voicing their support of the mayor? I knew many of the anti-Doherty loonies at the podium were poorly-educated and lacked "class," but now to even THREATEN people? This is just getting out of hand. If you see Les Spindler approaching City Hall with a trench coat, you'd best start running!

Old 02-04-2009, 01:21 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
Paul thats called PR.....The letters were probably typed by a Doherty supporter and sent out to Joanne and the Rev. to show that the Anti-Doherty crowd is crazy.

I wonder why the countless numbers of letters I have recieved never made the Times...Hhhhhmmmm not even the meeting I had with the FBI. I guess it only counts when the Doherty supporters get ONE non-death threat letter.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:59 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
Paul I don't think that you realize what goes on behind the scenes in Scranton politics and how dirty it really is. I read the letter that Joanne supposedly received and there was no threat, it just pointed out the obvious.

I have had my life threatened on several occassions and my family has been threatened and property vandalizied. I myself have a stack of letters. They also went as far as severing my electric service ground which threw my house out of phase, because of that it cost me a laptop and a large stainless refrigerator.

We also appreciate the middle of the night threatening phone calls that we recieve weekly.

We have to check our vehicles everyday for slashed tires and broken windows before school or work.

I live in Lower Greenridge and I have to have an infared/night vision security camera system on my house just to protect my family and property from political allies of the Doherty admin..

Neither my wife nor I have left the house unarmed in close to two years.

There is alot at stake financially and they will do what they have to in order to protect that. Doherty supporters are far worse then the "dommers" could ever be.

The big difference is that the "doomers" use words and the podium and the Doherty crew uses violence and threats to scare and silence people in this city.

You'll never read any of this in the Times because its normal, but as soon as one of their own gets a letter from one of their own it practically makes the front page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania