Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Support Bishop Martino's Political Stances?
Yes (Why?) 6 26.09%
No (Why?) 17 73.91%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 07:37 AM

996 posts, read 3,279,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
I don't ride horses, so this comment seems a little weird.

Don't they stand in urine and crap all day?
Only if they have owners that don't take care of them.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:51 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,455,621 times
Default Yep....I'm "Older Than Dirt"!!!!

'Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?'

'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him. 'All the food was slow.'

'C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?'

'It was a place called 'at home,'' I explained. 'Mom cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'

By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table. But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handle d it:

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore
Levis, set foot on a golf course, traveled out of the country or had a credit card. In their later years they had something called a revolving charge card. The card was good only at Sears Roebuck. Or maybe it was Sears AND Roebuck. Either way, there is no Roebuck anymore. Maybe he died.

My parents never drove me to soccer practice. This was mostly because we never had heard of soccer. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow). We didn't have a television in our house until I was 11, but my grandparents had one before that. It was, of course, black and white, but they bought a piece of colored plastic to cover the screen. The top third was blue, like the sky, and the bottom third was green, like grass. The middle third was red. It was perfect for programs that had scenes of fire trucks riding across someone's lawn on a sunny day Some people had a lens taped to the front of the TV to make the picture look larger.

I was 13 before I tasted my first pizza, it was called 'pizza pie.' When I bit into it, I burned the roof of my mouth and the cheese slid off, swung down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that, too. It's still the best pizza I ever had.

We didn't have a car until I was 15. Before that, the only car in our family was my grandfather's Ford. He called it a 'machine.'

I never had a telephone in my room . The only phone in the house was in the living room and it was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home. But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers I delivered a newspaper, six days a week. It cost 7 cents a paper, of which I got to keep 2 cents. I had to get up at 4 AM every morning. On Saturday, I had to collect the 42 cents from my customers. My favorite customers were the ones who gave me 50 cents and told me to keep the change. My least favorite customers were the ones who seemed to never be home on collection day.

If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.

Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEMORIES from a friend:

My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in September) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?
Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.
Ignition switches on the dashboard.
Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall.
Real ice boxes.
Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
Soldering irons you heat on a gas blow torch.
Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.

Older Than Dirt Quiz:

Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about
. Ratings at the bottom.

1 Blackjack chewing gum
2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
3. Candy cigarettes
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
5. Coffee shops or diners with table side juke boxes
6 . Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
7. Party lines
8. Newsreels before the movie
9. P.F. Flyers
10. Butcher wax
11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (OLive-6933)
12. Peashooters
13. Howdy Doody
14. 45 RPM records
15. S& H green stamps
16 Hi-fi's
17. Metal ice trays with lever
18. Mimeograph paper
19 Blue flashbulb
20. Packards
21. Roller skate keys
22. Cork popguns
23. Drive-ins
24. Studebakers
25. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young
If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older
If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age,
If you remembered 16-25 = You're older than dirt!

Old 02-01-2009, 09:02 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
I remember three---S & H green stamps, drive-in movies, and the wax bottle candies. I'm still wet behind the ears, heyna or no?!

Old 02-01-2009, 09:03 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,401,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post
I don't ride horses, so this comment seems a little weird.

Don't they stand in urine and crap all day?
As Greentown noted, only poorly cared for horses do this. Well cared for horses that get to roam green fields smell like fresh grass and sunshine and angels wings...

Old 02-01-2009, 09:04 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,401,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I remember three---S & H green stamps, drive-in movies, and the wax bottle candies. I'm still wet behind the ears, heyna or no?!
I'm not gonna say how many I remember!

Old 02-01-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
As Greentown noted, only poorly cared for horses do this. Well cared for horses that get to roam green fields smell like fresh grass and sunshine and angels wings...

Old 02-01-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
Older Than Dirt Quiz:

. Ratings at the bottom.

1 Blackjack chewing gum
3. Candy cigarettes
7. Party lines
9. P.F. Flyers
10. Butcher wax
12. Peashooters
13. Howdy Doody
14. 45 RPM records
15. S& H green stamps
16 Hi-fi's
18. Mimeograph paper
19 Blue flashbulb
20. Packards
21. Roller skate keys
22. Cork popguns
23. Drive-ins
24. Studebakers
25. Wash tub wringers

I'm dangerously close to the 11-15 range!!!

My kids are amazed that we had no computers, no remote controls, only three TV stations, one phone in the house (a "corded" one, no less), soda came in glass bottles and me and my sister were allowed to share one bottle per day, no microwaves and buying a pizza or McDonalds food was something we only did a few times a year for a special treat. How did we ever survive???

Old 02-01-2009, 09:56 AM

65 posts, read 141,230 times
Quote:
'

Older Than Dirt Quiz:

. Ratings at the bottom.

1 Blackjack chewing gum (I remember)
2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water (I remember and I used to love these)
3. Candy cigarettes (Oh we thought we were so cool pretending to smoke)
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles (I remember these, somehow it just didn't taste the same from a can)
5. Coffee shops or diners with table side juke boxes (There are some here in Scranton that still have these)
6 . Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers (I remeber this also, my brothers use to tease me and tell me I was the Milk Man's child, I was not amused but they were)
7. Party lines (No don't remember this)
8. Newsreels before the movie (No)
9. P.F. Flyers (sounds familiar, were these sneakers)
10. Butcher wax (yes I ave heard of this)
11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (OLive-6933) (No, I don't recall these telephone numbers.
12. Peashooters (Oh yeah, my brothers had the and well lets just say they needed a target and I was the intended target)
13. Howdy Doody (yes but it was in reruns when I was a kid)
14. 45 RPM records (Yes, I used to drive my brother crazy by playing the same one over and over, all you had to do was not put the arm over on the phonograph and well that sucker would play all day long, this is how I got them back for the pea shooter)
15. S& H green stamps (Yes, I remember how exciting it was when my mother got a new sewing machine with them. I remember going to the S&H store with my mother, we took the bus, in Downtown Scranton)
16 Hi-fi's (yes)
17. Metal ice trays with lever (yes and believe it or not I still have a few of these, they were the best)
18. Mimeograph paper (yes)
19 Blue flashbulb (yes)
20. Packards (no)
21. Roller skate keys (yes)
22. Cork popguns (yes)
23. Drive-ins (yes, and we still have one in Dickson City PA)
24. Studebakers (No)
25. Wash tub wringers (yes, my grandmother had a wringer washer, she wouldn't give it up, she claimed nothing worked as well as that old thing)

Looks as though I remember 19 things on this list. I guess I'm older than Dirt, LOL

Old 02-01-2009, 11:58 AM

936 posts, read 2,398,348 times
Quote:
Older Than Dirt Quiz:

. Ratings at the bottom.

1 Blackjack chewing gum
3. Candy cigarettes
7. Party lines
9. P.F. Flyers
10. Butcher wax
12. Peashooters
13. Howdy Doody
14. 45 RPM records
15. S& H green stamps
16 Hi-fi's
18. Mimeograph paper
19 Blue flashbulb
20. Packards
21. Roller skate keys
22. Cork popguns
23. Drive-ins
24. Studebakers
25. Wash tub wringers

OMG I remember 16 of these but it could be 17 if my recollection is correct and my grandmother used a wash tub with a glass and wood thing that she used to wash delicates. She used to rub her clothes on the glass thingamajig, I guess to scrub them clean. This is not the same as a wash tub wringer, right JG.

But I am 48 that shouldnt mean I am older than dirt, come on now!!!

Old 02-01-2009, 02:36 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,669,821 times
I'm not gonna say either because it frightens me...........how many I knew......
Some from Grandma.....oh yep...........Some from Grandma indeed...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania