Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Support Bishop Martino's Political Stances?
Yes (Why?) 6 26.09%
No (Why?) 17 73.91%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 01:05 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,453,301 times

Advertisements

Since this is a partial "off-topic" topic, with all the different views & backgrounds & ages & upbringings & "dramas", I thought this might show everyone just how lucky we all are, & to thank our stars for all of own blessings in life!!

YouTube - Get Back Up

Old 02-11-2009, 03:03 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,661,012 times
Thank you JG......

Old 02-11-2009, 03:20 PM

904 posts, read 2,054,939 times
A damning op-ed on the current stimulus plans, from the latest Nobel-prize winning economist, Paul Krugman:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/09/op...09krugman.html

Plenty of harsh words for the administration, which deserves some criticism, but you've got to view the congressional Republicans as the big problem here. The party that used to make constant (and often bogus) claims of understanding economics is now so out of touch. I just hope voters realize this.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:14 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,341,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post
A damning op-ed on the current stimulus plans, from the latest Nobel-prize winning economist, Paul Krugman:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/09/op...09krugman.html

Plenty of harsh words for the administration, which deserves some criticism, but you've got to view the congressional Republicans as the big problem here. The party that used to make constant (and often bogus) claims of understanding economics is now so out of touch. I just hope voters realize this.
Interesting perspective but a lot of fluff IMO. Who actually thinks the two party system can work together? Its about positioning and what's in it for me. Its does not matter who is in control as the one not in control will not agree with the others plans. Here are my issues with the 'Give Away' plan.

1. The Government does not produce goods. They take in money and give money out. And in recent years now its far far more than it takes in.

2. The 'Free money' plan will be about $790B of SPENDING yet the plan calls for payroll tax cuts too. How is this possible? How can the Government take in less money but give more out? If that is not deficit spending I need to go back into the dictionary and review the word deficit.

3. The plan is to give the money to state and local governments to use for infrastructure. Great plan in theory. Short term benefit. Building a new road or bridge or park or building does not produce GDP. IMO the benefit will run out after the projects are completed, then what?? 'Free Money II' plan? Will there be an ending.

4. Being most goods to build roads, bridges, and building materials come from anywhere but the US the money will flow out of the country. How is that a stimulus for the American economy? Again short term benefit. In the long term the non US country will benefit by the US Dollar being circulated in the local economies of countries like China.

5. Making Federal building more energy efficient. Good long term benefit. We all as tax payers benefit. Plus it puts people to work immediately with light bulbs bought anywhere but from the USA.

6. Spending $600M to upgrade the Government car fleet. Assuming the purchases will be from inventory already made how does this help car workers? If they make all new cars for this purchase that will put workers back to making cars but the dealers network will still be stuck with a large amount of unsold cars and right around the corner of 2010 cars coming out.....

7. Bank bailouts....who really understands what went wrong and where did all the money go? Who really knows how much capital they need to get healthy again? Who really knows how close they are to collapse? Last fall we heard collapse was imminent and we 'TAX PAYERS' give them Billions of dollars. Move the clock ahead 4 months and a new President and we hear the banks are near collapse and they need to be audited to see how much MORE money they will need.....that is pretty scary to me! What is scary is the UNKNOWN of how bad the banks really maybe.

8. This is the largest 'Free Money' bill the US ever put forward and our elected officials must approve it immediately. Debate it and maybe read parts of it but pass it. Its what the country needs everyone's job depends on it. So throw out the rules of debate and questioning, make the deals behind closes doors, send the bill to the president he has to sign it by Friday the latest. OR what?????? As a point of reference the Energy Bill never really got out of Congress in the last 8 years....$147 a barrel oil sure put a damper in my household budget yet it was not important enough to get it passed in record time as the 'Free money' Bill is.

I use to fear the outside armies from Russia or Eastern Europe. I use to fear about the 'War on Terror' players, I use to fear Bird Flu and pandemics, I use to fear Chemical and Biological epidemics. But now I am fearing what is going on here Domestically and all this dooms day economic rhetoric. If the plan was to cast fear into the American people our Federal Government has achieved its goal....

I truly wish I had the answers but I don't. I have to trust our elected representatives to make the choices for me and that scares me most of all. God Bless America!

Old 02-12-2009, 10:20 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,596,211 times
Thumbs up Anti-Gay Bandwagon Has Eroded in NEPA

Recently a body was found in Monroe County (that's obviously not shocking considering how crime-infested that county is now becoming, but I digress). Police are now charging one young man with fatally stabbing this other young man in the neck over a failed sexual encounter. Apparently the two met clandestinely on a prior occasion in a vehicle, and the alleged suspect arranged the second invitation. The assailant rejected the advances of the victim and abruptly left the vehicle this time. When the victim went to follow to see what was up he was stabbed in the neck, robbed, and left for dead, not being found for a week later.

I had expected nothing but a cacophony of hatred and homophobia to have emanated from this, but, to my utter DELIGHT, throngs of people came out to show their support for their victim on the Internet message board of the Pocono Record, and even though one right-wing jerk posted a very nasty comment about the victim's sexual orientation, it was overwhelmingly counterbalanced by detractors.

For an area that is considered by many to be "socially backwards" or "stuck in the past," I'd just like to say "Thank you" for proving to me that we're coming along superbly in regards to social justice issues. I'm very impressed today, and some of those comments brought a tear to my eye.

Pocono Record News Forum

Old 02-12-2009, 11:26 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,818,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Recently a body was found in Monroe County (that's obviously not shocking considering how crime-infested that county is now becoming, but I digress). Police are now charging one young man with fatally stabbing this other young man in the neck over a failed sexual encounter. Apparently the two met clandestinely on a prior occasion in a vehicle, and the alleged suspect arranged the second invitation. The assailant rejected the advances of the victim and abruptly left the vehicle this time. When the victim went to follow to see what was up he was stabbed in the neck, robbed, and left for dead, not being found for a week later.

I had expected nothing but a cacophony of hatred and homophobia to have emanated from this, but, to my utter DELIGHT, throngs of people came out to show their support for their victim on the Internet message board of the Pocono Record, and even though one right-wing jerk posted a very nasty comment about the victim's sexual orientation, it was overwhelmingly counterbalanced by detractors.

For an area that is considered by many to be "socially backwards" or "stuck in the past," I'd just like to say "Thank you" for proving to me that we're coming along superbly in regards to social justice issues. I'm very impressed today, and some of those comments brought a tear to my eye.

Pocono Record News Forum
I don't think their sexual orientation should be the issue at all, but its definitely a good warning about being promiscuous......meeting some stranger in a car for sex? Not exactly smart.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:47 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,096,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
.....meeting some stranger in a car for sex? Not exactly smart.
Definitely down a few shots in the bar with them first, so you get to know them before you go out to the car.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:37 PM

703 posts, read 1,546,495 times
This is an excellent example of why following Lou Dobbs, Neil Cavuto, Glenn Beck, and other right-wing news personalities (and television news in general) does not necessarily inform anyone on the economic effects of the stimulus package:

Economists comprise only 5 percent of cable news guests debating economic recovery plan

5 percent!

The experts are largely absent from this debate on television.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:19 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,096,048 times
Right and where were the experts when the nation was starting down this road?

If you were an ECONOMIC EXPERT right now wouldn't the best time to be out there telling everyone that we are on a slippery slope that will take us further into recession before we can go back up.

Its kind of like screaming fire after the building has already burned down.

Who exactly are the experts anyway?

Old 02-12-2009, 01:50 PM

703 posts, read 1,546,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Right and where were the experts when the nation was starting down this road?

If you were an ECONOMIC EXPERT right now wouldn't the best time to be out there telling everyone that we are on a slippery slope that will take us further into recession before we can go back up.

Its kind of like screaming fire after the building has already burned down.

Who exactly are the experts anyway?
On the contrary, the debate last week seemed to neglect how the economy is nearing catastrophe without intervention and instead focused on funding for programs that amounted to less than 1% of the total package. It would have been a welcomed relief to refocus the debate on the need for a very large stimulus package. Economists, clearly, could have provided that know-how.

But beyond that, economists could have evaluated the effectiveness of the package and the so-called "pork" in it, instead of anchors interviewing political reporters and other guests who have no economic expertise.

The point is that economists were absent from the media coverage of the stimulus package, so relying on television news for information about its effectiveness is highly dubious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania