Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 06:36 AM

487 posts, read 1,358,496 times

Advertisements

SUMNER LAKE community north of Manassas.
We just shifted our house hunt to that area due to a new job location and proximity to the VRE.
We lived out that way a few years ago and had to move in closer due to the hated commute, so its ironic that we are looking back in this direction again.
Does anybody have experience with the SUMNER LAKE community?
There are several homes there in our price range that look nice.
Al-tho the community doesn't match our concept of the perfect quiet older tree lined neighborhood, It does look like a nice place.
The homes look to have interesting and creative architecture.
Are they well built homes?
I have noticed that there are several short sales on the market there.
Is the HOA finances healthy? Sometimes Short Sales and foreclosures can hit residents with extra assessments to cover non payers.
Another major factor,.... what is the drive like to the VRE in Manassas?
Could somebody living in this community give me the lowdown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 04:00 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,249,132 times
I don't live there but am in Manassas. Might want to check out what happened there recently when one house caught fire. They are so close that it took two more with it. It is a nice neighborhood though and you are about 10-15 minutes from the VRE in heavier traffic. 5-10 in light traffic.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:01 PM

Thanks.
I saw the vidio of that fire on the ninnernet.
something to think about.
I going to look at some homes there this week.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:14 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,781,980 times
It is widely known that there was very poor workmanship there. I do agree that the designs were nice. Lot size of about 4000 SF+/-. It is also very close to the hideous Georgian Hamlet THs, which are practically connected to the more hideous Diggs Rd. apartments. I would take the City over the County any day of the week.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:30 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,249,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
It is widely known that there was very poor workmanship there. I do agree that the designs were nice. Lot size of about 4000 SF+/-. It is also very close to the hideous Georgian Hamlet THs, which are practically connected to the more hideous Diggs Rd. apartments. I would take the City over the County any day of the week.

Every hideous neighborhood you just discussed are IN the City.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:26 PM

509 posts, read 975,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I don't live there but am in Manassas. Might want to check out what happened there recently when one house caught fire. They are so close that it took two more with it. It is a nice neighborhood though and you are about 10-15 minutes from the VRE in heavier traffic. 5-10 in light traffic.
Yes, the homes in Sumner Lake are VERY close together. I used to think that when I lived in Point of Woods and used to walk over there to walk around the pond with my dog. It is not surprising what happened with that fire. Another poster said poor construction - but I don't think so - it was the proximity of the houses to each other that caused it. I guess they built the minimum distance apart allowed! Otherwise, I thought it's a very nice neighborhood actually - well it looked wonderful compared to Point of Woods - my standards were kind of low back then. I haven't seen it since I left there 2 years ago and I have no desire to revisit my old neighborhood which has really gone downhill.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Every hideous neighborhood you just discussed are IN the City.
I am aware of the BF. That's why I would find a better neighborhood in the City and move there, if my work was there.

I didn't say that poor workmanship caused the fire to spread, I just added that it is well know to have very poor workmanship. Their has been some REO activity in there too, so don't get a false impression about that community. Its newness meant more people in at the peak.

Do yourself a favor and look at Wellington. My parents paid about 325K in late 2003, watched it go to close to 500K, now I believe the assessment is at 275K, which is fairly accurate.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Im not a local to the area. Could you elaborate on the differences between the city and county? Where is the city county line? I don't see the line referenced on my map.

Old 11-10-2010, 01:53 AM

Quote:
I am aware of the BF. That's why I would find a better neighborhood in the City and move there, if my work was there.

I didn't say that poor workmanship caused the fire to spread, I just added that it is well know to have very poor workmanship. Their has been some REO activity in there too, so don't get a false impression about that community. Its newness meant more people in at the peak.

Do yourself a favor and look at Wellington. My parents paid about 325K in late 2003, watched it go to close to 500K, now I believe the assessment is at 275K, which is fairly accurate.

What are the major cross roads of the Wellington community?

Old 11-10-2010, 02:54 AM

The City is primarily 20110. Wellington SFRs are between Hastings and Wellington. Between the Jenny Dean Elementary School and the G. Round Elementary School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia