Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 09:51 AM

45 posts, read 162,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGoody View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome I fell much better now since I have spoke to some fellow Virginians I guess you have to find out for yourself instead of listening to others. See you in Virginia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The odd thing is, you are not going to find too many real virginians here.

The DC area is an extremely transitionary area. I have met very few people actually from this area. Most people I have met are from other areas coming here looking for work, much like you and me. (I am originally from NJ/NY, been living here for about 10 years now).

DC has the #1 or #2 market for IT jobs so a lot of people are coming here looking for that, and people come from all over the country and all over the world for that. You also have a lot of people coming to this area looking for work with the government and people from other nations working with the various embassies and international companies.

It also gives the area a very non-southern feel. Northern Virginia is not much different than where I grew up in New Jersey, or when I lived outside of Boston. I have also heard people say that the overal culture has a very West Coast feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 09:56 AM

488 posts, read 1,746,887 times
yeah, yeah, yes!

even I am not from here.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:58 AM

94 posts, read 489,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCJohnson View Post
The odd thing is, you are not going to find too many real virginians here.

The DC area is an extremely transitionary area. I have met very few people actually from this area. Most people I have met are from other areas coming here looking for work, much like you and me. (I am originally from NJ/NY, been living here for about 10 years now).

DC has the #1 or #2 market for IT jobs so a lot of people are coming here looking for that, and people come from all over the country and all over the world for that. You also have a lot of people coming to this area looking for work with the government and people from other nations working with the various embassies and international companies.

It also gives the area a very non-southern feel. Northern Virginia is not much different than where I grew up in New Jersey, or when I lived outside of Boston. I have also heard people say that the overal culture has a very West Coast feel.

Sounds good It's nice to see different cultures from around the world working and living together in harmony!!!!what a sight to see.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:59 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,502,785 times
Yup, it is not southern here at all - most people are polite but do not want to make friends - I am from NJ and have been here two years - people are much more freindly in NJ - but - alas - we need jobs - so we are here

Old 05-01-2008, 06:23 PM

I haven't had trouble making friends, although not so much with my neighbors. I made my friends through church (unitarian universalist) and other some charities I work with.

Basically what I am saying is that if you want a social life, you are going to need to find something to get involved with...but there are a lot of things out there to get involved with.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:53 PM

9 posts, read 30,034 times
Default Living in Cascades

My wife, dog, and I live in Cascades (Lowes Island) and love it. Lots of trees, many walking trails, and can walk to the Potomac River from my house. Commuting to Reston/Herndon would not be a problem at all and you will arrive at work without wanting to tear your hair out. I commute to Vienna and while it is not the best commute, I take the back roads and I get to enjoy the beautiful trees and winding roads. Also, on the weekends, I can be in DC in 25 minutes and Tyson's in 15, so Cascades is a very convenient location. We would certainly welcome you to the area, as we would love to see more African American families move in.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novael View Post
My wife, dog, and I live in Cascades (Lowes Island) and love it. Lots of trees, many walking trails, and can walk to the Potomac River from my house. Commuting to Reston/Herndon would not be a problem at all and you will arrive at work without wanting to tear your hair out. I commute to Vienna and while it is not the best commute, I take the back roads and I get to enjoy the beautiful trees and winding roads. Also, on the weekends, I can be in DC in 25 minutes and Tyson's in 15, so Cascades is a very convenient location. We would certainly welcome you to the area, as we would love to see more African American families move in.
Thank you guys again for the warm welcome I am very excited now. I think I have found some areas that I would like which is Mclean, and Reston area. I also looked further out toward Bristow and the homes seem a little cheaper looks like it's a little far from our job? Mclean had some very nice Condo's for our Budget of 700k and I heard about Tyson corner so it's not to far from that. I guess if we are looking for a SFH we would have to go further out for something really nice. I guess we could settle for a condo if the area is nice.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:07 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times
Quote:
Thank you guys again for the warm welcome I am very excited now. I think I have found some areas that I would like which is Mclean, and Reston area. I also looked further out toward Bristow and the homes seem a little cheaper looks like it's a little far from our job? Mclean had some very nice Condo's for our Budget of 700k and I heard about Tyson corner so it's not to far from that. I guess if we are looking for a SFH we would have to go further out for something really nice. I guess we could settle for a condo if the area is nice.
Do you know where you and your husband will be working? That will be a huge factor in determining where you live as traffic is stupendous. People commute to points all over Northern Virginia (particularly into Fairfax County/eastern Loudoun County) and not just into DC.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Do you know where you and your husband will be working? That will be a huge factor in determining where you live as traffic is stupendous. People commute to points all over Northern Virginia (particularly into Fairfax County/eastern Loudoun County) and not just into DC.
Yes we are working in the herndon area. I did a mapquest and Mclean isn't that far and Reston I guess is very close but Bristow is far but it seem to have the cheaper SFH with brick front, modern, contemporary, new homes. Reston homes look older and we are looking for a newer home but not a cookie cutter. I can't believe how expensive D.C. northern Virginia is I put in 600k-700k and thought I would get some very nice newer homes I couldn't believe what came up!!!!!!crazy

Old 05-02-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
McClean wouldn't be a bad trip at all because most of the traffic will be going the other way. With the toll road you are probably looking at 15 minutes.

Bristow might be a little too far of a drive.

WIth Herndon, you might want to look at Loudon County and Leesburg. There is a lot of new contruction out there and because it is a little ways out from DC it is a bit cheaper. You might be looking at 30 minutes.

But I feel your pain. I am looking for my first home and my limit is around 300K, and having a really hard time finding something in a nice neighborhood that won't be a bear of a commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia