Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 03:58 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,696,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540_804 View Post
I think its all relative.
How do you quantify "friendliness."

It has as much to do with the people who live in NoVA as much as from which perspective those people are viewed.

For instance, where I grew up, if you cut someone off in traffic, thats pretty rude, almost to a personal level. Many would almost question your character as a human being based on driving etiquette..

I drove through DC once and got cut off so many times it almost made my head spin. At first I thought, "Wow, what a bunch of douchebags"...but you quickly realize that its just "part of the game" and there's nothing personal about it.

Which brings me back to my original point: something I view as rude, coming from a more laid-back, southern area, is not considered rude by other standards; to them its just considered life. LOL

The pace of life is just so different. I thoroughly enjoy DC and the entire metro area, but only in visiting. I prefer a more laid-back southern vibe....
Well, I dont consider DC Northern Virginia. Its DC.

Well, I dont know. Northern Virginia has changed so much. When I grew up there in the 80s and 90s, it was still slightly Southern, if not at least polite. I grew up in Loudoun County, though.

I dont know about Fairfax. DC was always across the river in another state, and I never gave it much thought

I have to say that Northern Virginia drivers are actually more polite than other areas I have been to. Its because they're used to sitting in traffic all day. I have my horn honked more here in Richmond at me than in Northern Virginia.

Richmond has hardly any "rush hour". Its almost a joke compared to how bad it is in Northern Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Boy - we are getting repetitive here - I find the people in NY/NJ/PA to be much friendler - little things - like - if you are standing on-line in a grocery store - most likely the person next to you will start a little conversation - just quick and casual whereas here in VA you will get nothing - which - I can undersand that busy, stressed people may like.

I really think people are more stressed here than in NYC!
Are you kidding? Come to Richmond and people talk up a storm. I think you are describing Northern Virginia well, though. But when I was at Safeway up in Sterling, everyone was very polite to me !

Old 05-25-2009, 04:10 PM

722 posts, read 1,982,153 times
The driving here can be pretty brutal, but I have to admit there is something to that "sitting in traffic all day" theory. This is the only place I've lived where people actually let you merge in front of them (if you're reasonable, one car at a time, and don't be a jerk about it). Without, you know, speeding up and trying to block you. This is probably because everyone else on the road has been the guy trying to merge into traffic before.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athousandlogins View Post
The driving here can be pretty brutal, but I have to admit there is something to that "sitting in traffic all day" theory. This is the only place I've lived where people actually let you merge in front of them (if you're reasonable, one car at a time, and don't be a jerk about it). Without, you know, speeding up and trying to block you. This is probably because everyone else on the road has been the guy trying to merge into traffic before.
Thats what surprises me to. Its almost ironic because its such a "get there quick" type of place. But it depends on what part of Northern Virginia.

I dont think Remington, Warrenton, or even Leesburg, really qualify as typical Northern Virginia mentality places.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:40 PM

993 posts, read 2,491,818 times
Northern Virginia really doesn't have its own culture, or things inherent to that area, because you have so many different types of people moving in and moving for work and for other reasons, such as the military. So people expect it to be just like the place that they left, with an easy commute, and other stresses eased. But it simply isn't like that. It takes a while to get used to how bad the commute is, and can be. I did the commute for 4 days in early May, and man was it brutal, I was telling myself while driving....this is the reason that I left.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:55 PM

68 posts, read 215,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
I grew up in Loudoun, and I think that Northern Virginia in terms of friendliness is just about average with the rest of the nation. Its not great, its not horrible either. I find places such as New England and The Northeast cities a lot worse !

If you compare Northern Virginia to Southern or Central Virginia or Shenandoah Valley especially, it may seem a lot less friendly. But I hardly think its the least friendly place in the world.

I have been to Atlanta and it was about like Northern Virginia in terms of friendliness. Maybe its changed a lot since I have lived there.
I would agree that Northern VA is about average as far as friendliness.

It's definitely friendlier than the Pacific Northwest. I noticed a difference when I moved from Herndon to Seattle and then going back.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRef View Post
I would agree that Northern VA is about average as far as friendliness.

It's definitely friendlier than the Pacific Northwest. I noticed a difference when I moved from Herndon to Seattle and then going back.
That's interesting! It must be pretty unfriendly up there.

People from the Deep South think Northern Virginia is too Northern. People from the Northeast think Northern Virginia is too Southern, lol (I actually know some people from NY State who vowed that Northern Virginia was as far south as they could ever live. I asked about Richmond- and they thought it was wayyyyy too Southern for them)

We can never please 'em all !

Old 05-25-2009, 09:18 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,506,760 times
Thanks for the advice the mommy - I have been here about 3 years and complaining and being a real PIA all the way - I guess I am kinda rigid and unflexible and start out shy (but get chatty later) and wait for people to initiate - I guess in NY area they are more pushy and start the conversation - and that is what I am used to.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:33 AM

250 posts, read 911,283 times
Its all relative. I grew up in the midwest and its about the same. Coming from California to here though its night and day. In Ca, people all wave, its a general friendliness. I can go to a park and you strike up a conversation each time you go. People all say hello. Im in fredericksburg and if a neighbor waves to you from their car its amazing. People just keep more to themselves here. Its like everyone is all uptight ALL the time. Hey there is some wicked traffic (in all honesty I believe it to be worse) in so cal and I never see the atttitudes there so I hate to blame it all on the traffic. I have been to the northeast and found it similar to here as well. Its just different, I have felt people are downright rude here, but I think its just because its what I was used to. I still wave hello and strike up conversations with people here but usually its me who starts it. Try to be friendly to people and they will usually reciprocate (or may just look at you weird which has happened to me but whatever...).

Old 05-26-2009, 06:24 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,719,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
I actually know some people from NY State who vowed that Northern Virginia was as far south as they could ever live. I asked about Richmond- and they thought it was wayyyyy too Southern for them
Hey, that's not bad. My roommate in college (small school in Virginia), who was from Long Island, vowed to never go any further south than Philadelphia once we graduated. She said she couldn't live anywhere more "Southern" than that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia