Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 08:36 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,319,311 times

Advertisements

Eh

I find new comers to be unfriendly. The people I have known all my life, and the ones who I can tell have been here all their life know that all things shall pass and that life is too short to be rushing around.

Enjoy your life folks, enjoy the little things, and consider that if you are stuck in traffic and being a grump that maybe its time that you change your pattern and cheer up. Atleast it seems that traffic is where I see it (or any line for that matter).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 06:29 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,517,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
Eh

I find new comers to be unfriendly. The people I have known all my life, and the ones who I can tell have been here all their life know that all things shall pass and that life is too short to be rushing around.

Enjoy your life folks, enjoy the little things, and consider that if you are stuck in traffic and being a grump that maybe its time that you change your pattern and cheer up. Atleast it seems that traffic is where I see it (or any line for that matter).
I think most people can identify folks with gargantuan chips on their shoulder.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:37 AM

95 posts, read 140,173 times
Default Because it IS unfriendly here

So this topic has been discussed in other threads as well. In my opinion, people in the NOVA area are VERY guarded and reclusive. I have lived here since Nov 2001 so I do speak from experience. I have also lived in several states. I have spent most of my time living in Prince William county. I don't know, maybe Maryland is different.

For example, we live in Gainesville area. I go out in the backyard to play with my sons. I RARELY see anybody come out of their house except to exercise. I NEVER see any parent play with their kids in their yards. For me, that's just odd. Sorry but it is. I can give more examples but I will stop there.

What it comes down to is nobody will approach you. If you want to start a conversation you must approach them. That's fine, I am not the one living in fear.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:49 AM

373 posts, read 821,516 times
People think I'm unfriendly because I'm an introvert and I'm not nosy. I don't enjoy small talk. I'll say please and thank you during transactions, but I'm certainly not going to be chatty or ask you about your day if you are a complete stranger. When I'm walking down the street, I'm lost in my own thoughts, so I probably don't have a smile on my face. Political folks aside, I think this area attracts a lot of introverts who are more comfortable with computers, numbers, or legal documents than with people. Since people here are from everywhere, I don't think you can chalk it up to a northern thing or a southern thing.

Then there are the people who are just plain stressed out and rude. But I think most of the "unfriendliness" people on this board perceive is just people minding their own business.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:26 AM

9 posts, read 13,495 times
No comparison in friendliness to Southern California. I have lived on and off in NoVA since 1991 so it's not like I haven't had time to get to know people here. Yet I can count on one hand the number of conversations I have had with my neighbors here. People are significantly more rude here and it is very cliquish so you tend to only know people in your social circle. In California people might be late to appointments but in NoVA about 1/2 the time they don't even bother to show up. This is true in both social and business meetings. Although the schools are good on numeric metrics the social side is brutal so it is always a severe adjustment for your kids to move here. So your kids will be around high achievers but be depressed since friendships with classmates is so difficult here. I think the reason is the overcast weather makes people depressed here.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:47 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishie View Post
No comparison in friendliness to Southern California. I have lived on and off in NoVA since 1991 so it's not like I haven't had time to get to know people here. Yet I can count on one hand the number of conversations I have had with my neighbors here. People are significantly more rude here and it is very cliquish so you tend to only know people in your social circle. In California people might be late to appointments but in NoVA about 1/2 the time they don't even bother to show up. This is true in both social and business meetings. Although the schools are good on numeric metrics the social side is brutal so it is always a severe adjustment for your kids to move here. So your kids will be around high achievers but be depressed since friendships with classmates is so difficult here. I think the reason is the overcast weather makes people depressed here.
I haven't noticed too many depressed types. My neighbors are friendly and I interact with them regularly. We do a lot of community activities. We're also very welcoming to newcomers. We have a lot military officers who are used to moving to new places and initially being outsiders. They've developed good social skills. We have a lot of families with kids so that tends to bring people together .

Old 09-02-2012, 07:54 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,371,668 times
I have lived in NOVA for 12 years. It is almost impossible to make friends, people is too self centered or just busy or social climbers/workholics.

I have a couple of good girlfriends (actually 3) one is from mexico, the other one from Puerto Rico and the other one a lady from Colorado. They are all transplants and feel the same way.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:05 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times
It probably depends what kind of neighborhood you live in.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:08 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,371,668 times
I work in DC and live in a regular neighborhood. Go to school here too. It is the same, it is the people that is attracted by the jobs in DC. Weird, materialistic unfriendly people.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:51 AM

43 posts, read 68,389 times
When people say Northern Virginians are not "friendly," what do they really mean?
1. Unfriendly to the point of rude and yelling at people, including in professional arenas, if they do not like something?
or 2. Just so busy with their own lives that they do not stop to have casual conversations and "smell the roses"?

Last edited by vabound2012; 09-02-2012 at 10:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia