Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 04:57 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,924,762 times

Advertisements

People vote with their feet. Lots of people move here from elsewhere. Some hate it and leave forever, some love it and stay forever, and other tolerate it until they come either to love it, or hate it.

I would respectfully suggest that you spend a little more time focused on your Real Life issues, and a lot less time on this forum arguing with strangers. Really. Take a long break from online discussions, and develop some real friendships with real people.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:00 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,232,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
People vote with their feet. Lots of people move here from elsewhere. Some hate it and leave forever, some love it and stay forever, and other tolerate it until they come either to love it, or hate it.

I would respectfully suggest that you spend a little more time focused on your Real Life issues, and a lot less time on this forum arguing with strangers. Really. Take a long break from online discussions, and develop some real friendships with real people.

Bottom line, the issue isn't "the war between anti-Novans and pro-Novans".

Old 02-04-2010, 05:12 PM

168 posts, read 424,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
As the individual leaving for Ft. Knox, Kentucky (BRAC)

4. The diversity deception. I moved here in 2004 thinking I was going to see different races of people embracing other and being colorblind. I was very wrong. There are different nationalities here I didn't see much or any of back home in Hampton Roads. But things can be very segregated here. Just look at my alma mater T.C. Williams HS and you'll see whites hanging with whites mostly, blacks with blacks, middle easterners with other middle easterners, etc. Things are no different when out and about. In Hampton Roads, it is mostly white and black but you see people of different colors intergrating with each other. I have made some great friends here of all colors. Those friends see me for my inner-self and not my skin color, I can't say that for most NoVAns.
This is one that bothers me, too. Me and a coworker on my former night job had this discussion and I brought it up because I knew he would have a pretty honest opinion since he was a native of the area that also lived in the NYC area at one point (he had this to compare it to as did I). I noticed that mostly you will see blacks with blacks, whites with whites, hispanics with hispanics, and asians with asians. Where I lived in NJ, on the same block you might have Puerto Ricans, blacks, Italians, a family from somewhere in Eastern Europe like Poland or the Ukraine, and so on (this actually describes the apartment building I lived in pretty accurately). I also didn't feel as much racial tension between people up there. Down here, it seems like people self segregate. My coworker also said he felt this.

Also, for a place that is allegedly "diverse", it is hard to find good ethnic food in this area. Most places are Americanized, overpriced, and so on. I know that I tried to get Italian food one day, and it was on par with something that would come from the hot food section at a grocery store. I have found one restaurant that makes food like I could get up in NJ (Manna in Takoma Park, MD), and it isn't like I make it up there often. The only other thing I like close to my house is some of the pollo joints, but even they are watered down in my opinion.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:14 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,094,389 times
SB, what is the goal of your discussion? Remedy the traffic and sprawl problem? Get people talking about what they like and dislike about NoVA? I think we need to think about the ultimate goal of this thread.

I think the topic of likes/dislikes about NoVA has been breached enough. And you cannot FORCE anyone to change their minds about things. You can only present your perspective on things and then be prepared to defend your points of view.

Some people have already responded with snarky remarks. Some people are probably saying, "Oh boy, here we go again . . .." And some people are going to chime in simply to get on your nerves. Or start another fight. Some people are just going to say the same old things they've said before about the Land of "milk and honey."

Are you asking why some people cannot control themselves when responding to something they disagree to and feel the need to insult, personally attack, and degrade the poster? There, then is a golden question and I am not sure we'll have a resolution in the end. However, rock on . . .

BTW, I am glad you've notified the Moderator.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:16 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
In regards to the diversity issue I suppose my experience has been a bit different. In our regular group of friends there are several LGBT people, an African-American, three Asian-Americans, and a Hispanic. I don't look at race or sexual orientation as a means to dissuade myself from considering someone a potential friend. I guess I haven't really noticed this so-called "self-segregation" as much down here.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:19 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
SB, what is the goal of your discussion? Remedy the traffic and sprawl problem? Get people talking about what they like and dislike about NoVA? I think we need to think about the ultimate goal of this thread.

I think the topic of likes/dislikes about NoVA has been breached enough. And you cannot FORCE anyone to change their minds about things. You can only present your perspective on things and then be prepared to defend your points of view.

Some people have already responded with snarky remarks. Some people are probably saying, "Oh boy, here we go again . . .." And some people are going to chime in simply to get on your nerves. Or start another fight. Some people are just going to say the same old things they've said before about the Land of "milk and honey."

Are you asking why some people cannot control themselves when responding to something they disagree to and feel the need to insult, personally attack, and degrade the poster? There, then is a golden question and I am not sure we'll have a resolution in the end. However, rock on . . .

BTW, I am glad you've notified the Moderator.
The "goal" or "objective" of this thread was for the pro-NoVA people to explain why they've been so frustrated as of late with the anti-NoVA people and vice-versa on a GENERAL basis. The fact that some of the pro-NoVA people have already resorted to personal attacks is sad because this thread had so much promise to help facilitate such a discussion. Many, many threads have been veering off-topic as of late in peripheral discussions, and after I saw how much d-fens was attacked for his legitimate gripe I had finally had enough of the pro-NoVA people acting like "you can't have that opinion."

Old 02-04-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-fens View Post
. . I noticed that mostly you will see blacks with blacks, whites with whites, hispanics with hispanics, and asians with asians. Where I lived in NJ, on the same block you might have Puerto Ricans, blacks, Italians, a family from somewhere in Eastern Europe like Poland or the Ukraine, and so on (this actually describes the apartment building I lived in pretty accurately). I also didn't feel as much racial tension between people up there. Down here, it seems like people self segregate. My coworker also said he felt this.
I think a major reason this occurs is because:

(1) NoVA has a transient population--people are new to the area and so feel more comfortable with their own groups. some cultural groups are extremely cautious of strangers. And other cultural groups do not trust outsiders and stick around only with family and close friends, and

(2) the DC-NoVA area does not have the history of ethnic groups like the NYC/NJ/Philly area, particularly families who have been in one place for generations. For example, there are no ethnic neighborhoods that are primarily Polish, Italian, Irish, etc. complete with the respective shops, bakeries, markets, community centers, etc.

Quote:
I know that I tried to get Italian food one day, and it was on par with something that would come from the hot food section at a grocery store.
Personally, I have given up on finding decent Italian food in the DC-NoVa area. There is nothing that compares to Italian food and NJ sandwiches. In fact, getting Italian in NoVA is cliched, kind of like getting fake Italian food.

I do have to say though that the Latin American food is very good, esp Salvadorean and Peruvian, Middle Eastern, and Vietnamese.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
The fact that some of the pro-NoVA people have already resorted to personal attacks is sad because this thread had so much promise to help facilitate such a discussion. Many, many threads have been veering off-topic as of late in peripheral discussions, and after I saw how much d-fens was attacked for his legitimate gripe I had finally had enough of the pro-NoVA people acting like "you can't have that opinion."
Very good. I, too am weary of the venomous attacks that spew from some people. I find it very sad.

You're trying to be cordial and evenso, some people have already responded with some ugly remarks.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:31 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,232,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
The "goal" or "objective" of this thread was for the pro-NoVA people to explain why they've been so frustrated as of late with the anti-NoVA people and vice-versa on a GENERAL basis. The fact that some of the pro-NoVA people have already resorted to personal attacks is sad because this thread had so much promise to help facilitate such a discussion. Many, many threads have been veering off-topic as of late in peripheral discussions, and after I saw how much d-fens was attacked for his legitimate gripe I had finally had enough of the pro-NoVA people acting like "you can't have that opinion."
I didn't feel that d-fens' post deserved a caustic response. It was somewhat of an odd complaint ("why aren't the roads cleared when it snows") when most people were reporting their roads were cleared by 6 am or earlier. And it turned out his gripe really was the fact it snows here, and he hates snow.

But notice in his opening post:

To all the people who are wishing for snow because it is "wintery" or "festive", STOP.

Talk about people telling others they can't have an opinion. As you know, some people don't take kindly to that.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:33 PM

509 posts, read 975,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
I think a major reason this occurs is because:

Personally, I have given up on finding decent Italian food in the DC-NoVa area. There is nothing that compares to Italian food and NJ sandwiches. In fact, getting Italian in NoVA is cliched, kind of like getting fake Italian food.

I do have to say though that the Latin American food is very good, esp Salvadorean and Peruvian, Middle Eastern, and Vietnamese.
Growing up NJ, i can relate exactly to what you say. Good Italian food is non-existent here more or less. And nothing beats NJ hoagies! "Subs" here are a poor comparision. Plus I miss a good Philly Cheesesteak!

As to the rest of this discussion, the original poster needs to think it is not the fact that anti-Nova opinions are expressed, but sometimes the way they've been expressed, which have been mean and degrading and making fun of people. That gets people angry, as people don't like being made fun of. "Posers" and expressions like that get people's defenses up. Most likely anti-Nova opinions that were expressed without all the hyperbole and nasty words would be more accepted. Others said this is not an anti-Nova vs. Pro-Nova issue, and I agree. Take my opinion for what it's worth (not much).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia