Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 01:12 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times

Advertisements

Oh Klein, the shower trees make me want to cry they're so beautiful. And if you go where the horse rescue is, the view is more than amazing. I'm on Kauai right now and it's lovely here, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 12:33 PM

10 posts, read 22,825 times
moving to Hawaii myself soon. just noticed your post. FYI i got a car shipping quote out of san diego for $1100. and i was told by co-workers, that is the norm.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:02 PM

163 posts, read 316,742 times
Hunterseat- I can't wait! I love taking pics of the kids in different locations lol. My home decor is pictures of my family. I think w all the thinking and planning involved with the move I can't see past it lol. So excited!

Moretocome- we live in Alabama. The quote we gt was taking it to the Atlanta location and it was 2k. I wish I lived closer to Cali so I could drive it there!

Old 07-19-2013, 07:15 PM

Default The application from hell, pediatricians, and renting out our home

So now that we know the electricians application is at the electrical board, I am totally stressed. It made it there on time but now I am questioning if I did it correctly! It is the most confusing thing ever! I want to pull my hair out. The application itself is simple. the supporting documents and verification is very confusing. Worse, if its not done correctly then it will delay everything by 2 months! I've tried calling and emailing the board but I get the impression they really don't know what info needs to be submitted either. I called the hall and they pretty much directed me to the board. It's very frustrating and I just needed a good vent! If anyone knows anyone with a Hawaii state electrical license, I am pleading out for help!

Secondly, pediatricians... Are there good ones on O'ahu? Our baby is 8m and has a bunch of doctor visits in the upcoming future for shots and check-ups. Anyone have any recommendations?

Thirdly, my husband has talked me into renting our Alabama home out. I guess this totally makes sense and we have done it before. I just really dread packing everything up and storing/selling it to get it out of the house. I realize the extra income will be a good plan so we won't be living check to check but it still makes me sad and stressed to do the rental process again.

I had surgery today, it went well. I figure I'll get boxes together and start packing things up next week when I feel more like myself.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:15 AM

I work at NAVFAC. I'll see if any of our electricians are state licensed. I go back to work Tuesday.

DON'T overdo!! (do small boxes) Accept help from others! (have a packing/moving party but don't serve the food 'till after you're done)

I love the Straub medical providers. They're really my only experience over here with doctors.

Renting is very sensible!

Old 07-21-2013, 06:07 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,278,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klein5 View Post
Hunterseat- I can't wait! I love taking pics of the kids in different locations lol. My home decor is pictures of my family. I think w all the thinking and planning involved with the move I can't see past it lol. So excited!

Moretocome- we live in Alabama. The quote we gt was taking it to the Atlanta location and it was 2k. I wish I lived closer to Cali so I could drive it there!
Couldn't you drive to Long Beach CA, then ship the car from there. It's about 2,000 miles from Alabama to Long beach and would take about 3 days. I would think it would be a lot cheaper than $1,000 to drive to Long Beach. The airfare will also be cheaper from the west coast too. But you'll have to spend 3 days driving to save the money.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:36 AM

Hunterseat- thanks for checking at your work, I really appreciate it!
Moving party is a great idea and I love the advise about serving food at the end lol!
Renting will give us about 1,100 more dollars a month to spend over there. I know we are going to need it! I'll come to terms with it eventually...

Davephan- I will check into prices shipping the car from long beach and flying out there. The major downside that I'm thinking there will be is driving cross country with 3 kids, one of which is 8 months old. If I do it though then we will have to wait on the car to get there for a few weeks. We'd have to find a rental and after you pay the rental fee, the gas to drive cross country, food and hotels it may balance out close to the same. Plus the baby hates riding in the car for long periods of time I can't fathem how terrible it would be lol!

Old 07-21-2013, 10:58 AM

http://hawaii.gov/dcca/pvl/boards/el...r%2007.13R.pdf'

Here is the link for the requirements for the license.

He is trying to be licensed as an EJ

We sent in hubbys certificate of completion of the IBEW apprenticeship program, verification of his work hours that are over 10000 and the license of the supervisor who verified his work hours.

Should we have sent in something from the Hawaii Community College saying that the coursework he did for the apprenticeship is acceptable?

Anyone who would like to take a look, be my guest and a big Mahalo!

Old 07-21-2013, 12:56 PM

I know for construction, you don't have to be licensed for any jobs under $1K. Crazy, I know, coming from CT where you have to be licensed to replace your own bathroom faucet. (in theory).

Old 07-21-2013, 02:39 PM

Lol that is crazy! From what we've been told for every unlicensed person there is a licensed person. The state has to keep that ratio. For you to get the most work you need to be licensed. Now I realize why so many are not licensed, if they are anything like me they can't even understand the application process lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu