Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 03:46 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times

Advertisements

I'd pay more to live in Kailua over Makakilo any day. It's a way nicer place and a way nicer commute. Once you come out of the Pali tunnel into the Windward side, you're home, even if your commute is only half done. Dunno why it feels that way, but it does. Kailua is a valid town with streets and houses and beaches and places to play. Makakilo is far from the beach and it has a bedroom community feel to it instead of feeling like it is it's own place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 12:36 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,518,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I'd pay more to live in Kailua over Makakilo any day. It's a way nicer place and a way nicer commute. Once you come out of the Pali tunnel into the Windward side, you're home, even if your commute is only half done. Dunno why it feels that way, but it does. Kailua is a valid town with streets and houses and beaches and places to play. Makakilo is far from the beach and it has a bedroom community feel to it instead of feeling like it is it's own place.
I wouldn't live in Makakilo if I had to commute to town to work. Personally, parts of Kailua feel like California to me. It doesn't feel like home.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:51 PM

163 posts, read 316,742 times
Do you any of you have any other location suggestions for me to check into?

Old 09-02-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klein5 View Post
Do you any of you have any other location suggestions for me to check into?
What is your monthly budget for rent and utilities? Are you looking for a single family home (no duplexes)? How many bedrooms do you need?

Old 09-02-2013, 04:36 PM

3 bedrooms, can be house, duplex or apartment, we'd LOVE a shared pool/work out facility if possible but can make do without. Budget is no more than 3500, that includes utilities. Don't know if there's anything to work with in that budget or not

Old 09-02-2013, 04:50 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Possibly doable in Kailua if you can live without AC. You'll need that entire budget though.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
3 bedrooms, can be house, duplex or apartment, we'd LOVE a shared pool/work out facility if possible but can make do without. Budget is no more than 3500, that includes utilities. Don't know if there's anything to work with in that budget or not
There are some parks with free use of a public pool. There's one near me, Kapaolono Park. This park has a pool, basketball and tennis courts, a softball field and a play lot for little children. I know there is a free public pool in Salt Lake, too.

$3500 might be doable if you don't run your AC a lot and you don't have to pay for water. Keep looking into the same areas you have. If you run your AC a lot and have to pay for water, you are going to have to look at a smaller place, or probably a place further away than you like. Have you looked into Pearl City, Aiea, or Salt Lake?

Old 09-02-2013, 09:13 PM

Free pools are great and for sure a plus. We have a pool at our house now, we just put it in last year and I am for sure going to miss it

The areas I'm looking at are Aina Haina, Nui Valley, Kahala Waialae---
choose these based off of commute and Kalani school systems

Moanolua Valley, Salt lake area that is zoned for Moanolua High

Kaneohe and Aikahi area that is zoned for Kalahoe school system

Kailua zoned for the schools there

Basically, I've just went off of what people have put in other threads etc and commute times and school systems I've researched. Also through in there commute times to gymnastics as we do that a minimum of 3 days each week.

I haven't really heard what Kaneohe is like. The part that is zoned for the school looks like it ends where Kaneohe Bay drive crosses over Mikiola Drive.

I'd like to know more about any of the areas listed if anyone has anything further to add.

Again looking for family friendly, would love a place where the kids can play outside with neighbors etc and in our budget

Off topic but I have recently started couponing and it is soooo much fun. I know that sounds really lame coming from a 30 year old but its sorta a hobby now since I have 2 kids in school and its just me and the baby at home all day lol. Gives me something to do. Fingers crossed I can put these money saving tips to work for me there too.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:20 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Quote:

I haven't really heard what Kaneohe is like.
Compared to Kailua - more rain - lots of military with big pickups dominating the yards. But cheaper, for a reason.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:05 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
Back from the beach. What'd I miss?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu