Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2014, 09:00 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
No but keep pushing the racist, hardline angle. Its obvious that if you don't know your peoples culture, ancestors or etc you don't know your people and vice versa.
Sorry dude but no "racist, hardline angle" pushed by me. Just reading posting history to see who pushes that agenda. People have choices in everything they do and they can choose to enter discussions gracefully and tactfully or choose to do so offensively and insulting. Just reading your post above makes it clear the chose you've made. And continue to make.

As others have said already, you preach Aloha but often don't show it here.

Too bad because you do have much to offer this forum but your message gets lost in the mean spirit of so many of your posts.

Old 11-16-2014, 09:49 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdlette View Post
surely some of this non-sense talk violates TOS? many of these posts are neither useful nor relevant.

HBH, as much as you always speak of aloha, most of your posts do not illustrate that. you seem plain bitter against people who live here successfully. you don't have to turn each and every thread into a space for your to speak your righteousness. your posts would have gravitas if you've actually set foot on the islands on the past decades and if your main argument doesn't always end up bashing 'rich' or white or mainland folks. it's inflammatory. if you're preaching aloha, please show it.
See unfortunately it you look at my posting history when i got here i was just happy to be off by myself and posting cultural stuff. Bbbbuuuuttttt no, the same person your defending here today is the same person who followed me around for months on every thread i creatted and almost every post on culture calling me delutional, trolling, saying my stuff is irrelevant, harassing calling locals and native hawaiians uneducatted. And not one of you spoke up or even got upset. But the moment someone brought up sovereignty and showed history my white brothers didnt like or the word haole was brought up it was stink like ive never seen. So this is what i say to you Aloha isnt a free pass to get away with murder over and over again. Further for along time i smiled said aloha tried to negotiate a settlement with my harrasers etc. But kindness is weakness to some.

Further you guys keep bringing up the fact that i dont live in hawaii curently like you found some lost treasure to discredit me with but its sad because some who ate pushing this dont even know about life long traditions of taking your shoes off when entering a home or other simple hawaii cultute stuff. But have the ego to question others credibilities.

Shoots i rememba my first real post on here talking about the love of hawaii, the first response i got from one of you mainland transplants was not aloha welcome but " dream on peter pan". Nice aloha

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 11-16-2014 at 10:20 PM..

Old 11-16-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
Sorry dude but no "racist, hardline angle" pushed by me. Just reading posting history to see who pushes that agenda. People have choices in everything they do and they can choose to enter discussions gracefully and tactfully or choose to do so offensively and insulting. Just reading your post above makes it clear the chose you've made. And continue to make.

As others have said already, you preach Aloha but often don't show it here.

Too bad because you do have much to offer this forum but your message gets lost in the mean spirit of so many of your posts.

Or maybe you choose to ignore the messages because its not presented in the way you want it to be presentted. If you read post history as you said you do. You will see i had the most aloha on this forum. Now a year and a half later i dont. What do you think happened? Do you think ive just turned bitter overnight? Could it be something outside of myself? Or is it, all of us locals and natives are racist hateful people just picking on the malahines or outsiders?

Old 11-16-2014, 10:23 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdlette View Post
surely some of this non-sense talk violates TOS? many of these posts are neither useful nor relevant.

HBH, as much as you always speak of aloha, most of your posts do not illustrate that. you seem plain bitter against people who live here successfully. you don't have to turn each and every thread into a space for your to speak your righteousness. your posts would have gravitas if you've actually set foot on the islands on the past decades and if your main argument doesn't always end up bashing 'rich' or white or mainland folks. it's inflammatory. if you're preaching aloha, please show it.
++++++
That's why I suggested that the Admins close this thread.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
++++++
That's why I suggested that the Admins close this thread.
Gee thank god your not a mod, we would have to close every thread that you just dont agree with politically. Should we go back in time and see DOHs aloha greatest hits?

God this reminds me of one poster who also followed me around trolling for about a mth and just being ugly on the threads i startted, also following me around the forum and responding with harrasnent etc to my posts. But the moment i returned the favor and did the same it was OMG hbh needs to be kicked off the forum for good etc etc etc. Wasnt he your friend auntie? I believe also ge was a white mainland transplant. Always shocks me how some of the stink on here about aloha or TOS or behavior is solective.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 11-16-2014 at 10:52 PM..

Old 11-16-2014, 10:45 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu21 View Post
Good one. Since many people never open open links here, let's quote from it...

Quote:
Hawaii Custom - Please remove shoes at the door.
please remove shoes at the door

It's a Hawaiian Custom

Here in Hawaii it's customary to remove your shoes before entering someone's home. It's a tradition that came with the Japanese immigrants, and it totally caught on. It is considered very rude to leave your shoes on, unless your host tells you "no need". Hey, most people wear "slippahs" anyway.

Even when I take clients out looking at homes and condos for sale, we are expected to take off our shoes. Keep this in mind when you're on Maui and want to see some properties with your Realtor. Wear some shoes that are easy to slip on and off.

When we travel back to the mainland it's always a little shocking to me to see people just walking right into homes with their boots and shoes on.... what's wrong with those people... haha.
I mean, seriously... this is so well known, and so widely observed... how does anyone NOT know this after just a few weeks in Hawai'i? Seriously. How can one possibly escape knowing it for years unless they are actively trying not to know and observe local culture?

Old 11-16-2014, 11:02 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I mean, seriously... this is so well known, and so widely observed... how does anyone NOT know this after just a few weeks in Hawai'i? Seriously. How can one possibly escape knowing it for years unless they are actively trying not to know and observe local culture?

I agree. I remember when I was a kid and stayed with my uncle for the summer. I walked through his house with my shoes when I first got there because that's what we did in my house back in Oregon. He told me to remove my shoes and explained why. I apologized and I still remember his words. He said, "It's ok, I will let you get away with it one time. ONE time."
LOL!

He and everyone else that I know in Hawaii still hold on to this custom dearly. Although, I must say that I don't know anyone who lives in Kailua.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Good one. Since many people never open open links here, let's quote from it...

Exactly, and if someone is doing that then what could be the spirit of intent on doing so? But OpenD i will say even with slippahs ive never seen anyone enter a home with them on. Dang my mother still practices this in her home here in the mainland. I just recently got on myself for letting myself get away with not taking my shoes off in my home. I found that i dont have to clean the floors much when i take my shoes off. But my neighbors give me weird looks sometimes lol. Mahalo OpenD for the support.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post

I agree. I remember when I was a kid and stayed with my uncle for the summer. I walked through his house with my shoes when I first got there because that's what we did in my house back in Oregon. He told me to remove my shoes and explained why. I apologized and I still remember his words. He said, "It's ok, I will let you get away with it one time. ONE time."
LOL!

He and everyone else that I know in Hawaii still hold on to this custom dearly. Although, I must say that I don't know anyone who lives in Kailua.
Mahalo McfrostyJ

Old 11-16-2014, 11:37 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Here's a funny reference point that I just thought of... since a lot of scenes for Hawai'i Five-O are shot on location in real homes, I just subconsciously scan the scene inside the doorway, and have totally lost count of the number of places that have a lineup of shoes just inside the door much like the one pictured in that blog post just quoted.

More traditional Japanese may wear tabi, the socks with a split for the big toe that are worn with sandals, so slipping off the geta (sandal) at the door and keeping on the tabi is perfectly normal. Others who follow the Hawaiian custom are more relaxed about going bare footed in the house.

Really gracious hosts may keep an assortment of clean socks or hotel type slippers for guests to wear inside, and a stool is a very nice touc for guests to sit on to put their shoes back on when leaving. But in any case, wearing outdoor shoes inside the house? No bueno! (not good!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu