Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2011, 07:04 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,088,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
I just left my PR position in Dayton if you would like that. Honestly, it's already been filled, sorry.
That's ok. I probably don't have the experience to fill your shoes anyways. Personally, there seems to be little in the way of PR firms in Dayton and Ohio, but at least there are a few. That would be the ultimate reason for leaving this state, as I alluded to in earlier posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 12:30 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,441,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
I just left my PR position in Dayton if you would like that. Honestly, it's already been filled, sorry.
Thought you were an IT Tech, must have you mixed up with someone else. What kind of company are you working for?

Old 04-05-2011, 03:29 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,735,558 times
Lightbulb Texas is a mistake.

Some of you mentioned Texas !?! If you like trying to be EXACTLY like everyone else, then Texas is the place for you. They don't like Yankees
[if you're from Ohio, this means you]. If you act or talk or walk different you're made fun of. If you're a Yankee it's always open season.
They might even be nice to your face but that's as far as it goes.
Rednecks are the norm and they're proud to be that way. Ignorance
runs amuck in Texas. I lived there for the first 21 years of my life [that was a long time ago] and left as fast as I could. Things have not changed a bit with the exception that there are now more people like this. We only go back once a year to see relatives and we can't wait to leave. Ohio is a better choice than Texas IMHO.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:10 AM

133 posts, read 589,942 times
Not everybody in Ohio is in love with it, so I am starting this post for those who want to leave, or have left to tell us why.

TELL IT LIKE IT IS

1) Current or former Ohio location: Grew up in west Tennessee, currently live in Dublin Ohio.

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?: I desire a warmer climate, lower taxes and cost of living, and want to be closer to the coast.

3) Where outside of Ohio and why: We are checking out Raleigh. My husband can relocate anywhere in this region for his job. Raleigh is appealing because of the climate and proximity to the ocean

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices: 2nd choice is Charlotte, 3rd choice is Summerville SC.

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?: I'm finishing school and have a few semesters left. Then we are outta here!

6) Anything else you want to say? It was fun living in Columbus in my 20's but now that I'm all grown up I want to live in a smaller town closer to the beaches.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:17 PM

9 posts, read 10,440 times
I would have loved to remain in my home state, in my home town, but personal requirements made that choice a no-go. Ohio has been losing jobs and (therefore) population for decades now. Check the census data. Ohio is losing yet another House seat to Texas. Just as there was population flight from Cleveland to the suburbs, there has been population flight from Ohio. The taxes are too high and the regulations too onerous. Ohio has become a welfare state, and will continue to lose population until it becomes yet again an opportunity state. I'm not going to argue this point; just look at the demographics. Whatever anybody thinks is "fair" is irrelevant, unless theory matters more than reality between one's ears.

Doing what's good for the environment is essential. In Cleveland, W.25th and Fulton was highly polluted until the newly-established EPA directed industrial practices that quickly mitigated the foul air and restored fresh air. But the EPA, left to itself, will forever impose more restrictive regulations which are long-past far-beyond productive. In reality, the bureaucracy has created its very own (and equally corrosive) type of pollution. Regulatory pollution. Consider this: A hospital regulation mandates that blood used in transfusions be 99.995% pure. This works well, and most patients benefit. A few years later, a new hospital regulation requires the blood to be 99.997% pure. The hospital cannot comply with this new mandate for whatever reason, and the regulatory body concludes nobody can get a transfusion until the new mandate is met. I give you environmental regulation.

I've gotten over being angry with the insanity of Progressivism. I've moved, you see.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:07 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,077,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gndboy View Post
I would have loved to remain in my home state, in my home town, but personal requirements made that choice a no-go. Ohio has been losing jobs and (therefore) population for decades now. Check the census data. Ohio is losing yet another House seat to Texas. Just as there was population flight from Cleveland to the suburbs, there has been population flight from Ohio. The taxes are too high and the regulations too onerous. Ohio has become a welfare state, and will continue to lose population until it becomes yet again an opportunity state. I'm not going to argue this point; just look at the demographics. Whatever anybody thinks is "fair" is irrelevant, unless theory matters more than reality between one's ears.

Doing what's good for the environment is essential. In Cleveland, W.25th and Fulton was highly polluted until the newly-established EPA directed industrial practices that quickly mitigated the foul air and restored fresh air. But the EPA, left to itself, will forever impose more restrictive regulations which are long-past far-beyond productive. In reality, the bureaucracy has created its very own (and equally corrosive) type of pollution. Regulatory pollution. Consider this: A hospital regulation mandates that blood used in transfusions be 99.995% pure. This works well, and most patients benefit. A few years later, a new hospital regulation requires the blood to be 99.997% pure. The hospital cannot comply with this new mandate for whatever reason, and the regulatory body concludes nobody can get a transfusion until the new mandate is met. I give you environmental regulation.

I've gotten over being angry with the insanity of Progressivism. I've moved, you see.
Okay, a lot of corrections to make.

Ohio is not losing population. Michigan was the only state in the nation to lose population. Ohio is still growing and has never experienced a census where the population dropped. The reason it is losing a seat is because it was not growing as fast as many others, but it is still the 7th most populous state in the country and has the 8th largest economy. And if you look at the actual county map, the vast majority of counties experienced population growth. People aren't moving out of the state so much as moving around within it.

Also, along with the national trend, all 3 of Ohio's biggest cities saw growth in their downtown cores in relation to population. The trend of significant population losses in urban areas has turned a corner the last decade, and all 3 cities are seeing a ton of urban renewal.

The employment prospects are varied and widespread. Unemployment went down 14 straight months and the state has a lower rate than the national average. Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincy all have lower rates than the national average.

When talking about job losses in Ohio, people are referring to manufacturing, which used to be the bread and butter of the blue collar class. While it is no longer 1960 in that regard, there are signs that manufacturing is making a comeback. Most of the manufacturing went away because of outsourcing to markets like China, but as their own economy experiences diversification and growth, wage and benefit demands grow, eliminating a lot of the benefits of moving operations overseas. Manufacturing, little by little, is making a comeback. Not to mention that the state economy overall continues to move into tech and health.

The cost of living in all of Ohio's cities is lower than many in the so-called Sun Belt. And if anyone really thinks that those places can continue to grow at significant rates and not see their COL go up due to increases in the demand for infrastructure, education, health, etc, they're fooling themselves.

As for the rest of your post... okay...

Old 06-24-2011, 08:42 AM

480 posts, read 1,918,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikieo415 View Post
Not everybody in Ohio is in love with it, so I am starting this post for those who want to leave, or have left to tell us why.

TELL IT LIKE IT IS

1) Current or former Ohio location:

2) Why do you want to leave or have left?:

3) Where outside of Ohio and why:

4) 2nd and 3rd Place Choices:

5) What’s currently holding you back from moving if you haven't already left?:

6) Anything else you want to say?
1. Born and raised in Akron, left in 2007 for Maryland.

2. Mostly for love - long distance relationship, but also because there were more jobs for me in MD than for her in OH.

3. Maryland - see above. Culturally and politically Ohio is more my speed (but somewhere like Texas probably even moreso).

4. None really, briefly considered Columbus (OH), Greensboro, NC, and Prescott, AZ.

5. N/A

6. ?

Old 06-28-2011, 09:53 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,626,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Okay, a lot of corrections to make.

Ohio is not losing population. Michigan was the only state in the nation to lose population. Ohio is still growing and has never experienced a census where the population dropped. The reason it is losing a seat is because it was not growing as fast as many others, but it is still the 7th most populous state in the country and has the 8th largest economy. And if you look at the actual county map, the vast majority of counties experienced population growth. People aren't moving out of the state so much as moving around within it.

Also, along with the national trend, all 3 of Ohio's biggest cities saw growth in their downtown cores in relation to population. The trend of significant population losses in urban areas has turned a corner the last decade, and all 3 cities are seeing a ton of urban renewal.

The employment prospects are varied and widespread. Unemployment went down 14 straight months and the state has a lower rate than the national average. Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincy all have lower rates than the national average.

When talking about job losses in Ohio, people are referring to manufacturing, which used to be the bread and butter of the blue collar class. While it is no longer 1960 in that regard, there are signs that manufacturing is making a comeback. Most of the manufacturing went away because of outsourcing to markets like China, but as their own economy experiences diversification and growth, wage and benefit demands grow, eliminating a lot of the benefits of moving operations overseas. Manufacturing, little by little, is making a comeback. Not to mention that the state economy overall continues to move into tech and health.

The cost of living in all of Ohio's cities is lower than many in the so-called Sun Belt. And if anyone really thinks that those places can continue to grow at significant rates and not see their COL go up due to increases in the demand for infrastructure, education, health, etc, they're fooling themselves.

As for the rest of your post... okay...

Ohio is losing population. Akron, Cleveland, and Dayton just saw 20% drops in real estate prices.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:29 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,498,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Ohio is losing population..
2000 Census: 11,353,150
2010 Census: 11,536,504

Quote:
Akron, Cleveland, and Dayton just saw 20% drops in real estate prices.
Source?

Old 06-28-2011, 11:11 AM

261 posts, read 589,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Ohio is losing population. Akron, Cleveland, and Dayton just saw 20% drops in real estate prices.
According to the census, Ohio gained population, taking into consideration that the census always skips a few people. You do realize the people who leave Akron, Cleveland and Dayton only move out to suburbs and to other counties and don't actually leave state don't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio