Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2014, 01:14 PM

374 posts, read 808,220 times

Advertisements

The bottom line is that Oklahoma is now part of what is considered the southern United States. That does not include the states of Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado. States east of the Rockies are more culturally similar to states east of the Mississippi than they are states in the west. The Mississippi River is an outdated border that carries no cultural significance in 2014.

The culture IN ALL portions of Oklahoma is southern with the Southeastern quarter of the state residing in the deep south.

We are culturally, politically, spiritually and economically part of the southern United States, regardless of if some Kansans came down in 1889.

Oklahoma was the number one destination for southerners escaping reconstruction and also inherited the plantation southern culture from the Five Civilized Tribes. Tulsa is not part of the Midwest and Oklahoma City is void of all southwestern culture and landscape you find in places like southern New Mexico or Arizona. Those people have about as much in common with us as the people in Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 11:46 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,609,461 times
Default Not!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
The bottom line is that Oklahoma is now part of what is considered the southern United States. That does not include the states of Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado. States east of the Rockies are more culturally similar to states east of the Mississippi than they are states in the west. The Mississippi River is an outdated border that carries no cultural significance in 2014.

The culture IN ALL portions of Oklahoma is southern with the Southeastern quarter of the state residing in the deep south.

We are culturally, politically, spiritually and economically part of the southern United States, regardless of if some Kansans came down in 1889.

Oklahoma was the number one destination for southerners escaping reconstruction and also inherited the plantation southern culture from the Five Civilized Tribes. Tulsa is not part of the Midwest and Oklahoma City is void of all southwestern culture and landscape you find in places like southern New Mexico or Arizona. Those people have about as much in common with us as the people in Detroit.
educate yourself here.....
Reconstruction Era - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

black freemen found OKLAHOMA a haven for themselves escaping the oppression of the South...

a prime example is TULSA OKLAHOMA black neighborhood being known as (The Colored Wall Street Of America)......lollllllll
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheroke...en_controversy

Colored/Negro/Black Wall Street
http://www.blackwallstreetmovie.com/

http://zmblackhistorymonth2012.blogs...sa-burned.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_72I5FA80s

https://www.facebook.com/BlackWallStreetTulsa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwood,_Tulsa,_Oklahoma

http://www.ebony.com/black-history/t...#axzz3Dml6bx9O

http://www.scribd.com/doc/100561899/...mission-Report

Making this as simple as possible ( Oklahoma was a Paradise for the Black Man/Woman who exist the
Southern U.S.A. after the civil war.....

Not very Southern at all , at least in the eye's of African-American.....

Last edited by Howest2008; 09-19-2014 at 12:09 PM..

Old 09-19-2014, 05:02 PM

http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Reconstruction.aspx

Old 09-22-2014, 02:02 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,561,839 times
I think Oklahoma should remain a Big XII state.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
I think Oklahoma should remain a Big XII state.
I second that emotion my bad motion can't wait for my first OU Game in Norman OK , and by the way
the USCB gets the last word OK is a southern state....lollllllll by classification only.....lolllllllll

Old 09-23-2014, 06:34 PM

101 posts, read 123,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I second that emotion my bad motion can't wait for my first OU Game in Norman OK , and by the way
the USCB gets the last word OK is a southern state....lollllllll by classification only.....lolllllllll
Oklahoma is part of the United States Census Bureau's South, and I think that's a strong indicator that Oklahoma is really part of the South.

The Census Bureau's purpose is to collect and organize data about the population of each state. Every migrant to Oklahoma was reared in some sort of regional culture/history/accent that has been brought with them, and it isn't coincidence that Oklahoma has a whole lot of southern influence.

The Census Bureau doesn't include Missouri in its South region, despite the fact that Missouri has historical ties to the South. Missouri is for the most part the Midwest, just like Oklahoma is for the most part the South.

Howest2008 you have posted a lot of interesting links, and I appreciate it. I don't agree with you that Oklahoma is not part of the South, but I'm not saying it's the Deep South either.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:37 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,521,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studying Okie View Post
Oklahoma is part of the United States Census Bureau's South, and I think that's a strong indicator that Oklahoma is really part of the South.

The Census Bureau's purpose is to collect and organize data about the population of each state. Every migrant to Oklahoma was reared in some sort of regional culture/history/accent that has been brought with them, and it isn't coincidence that Oklahoma has a whole lot of southern influence.

The Census Bureau doesn't include Missouri in its South region, despite the fact that Missouri has historical ties to the South. Missouri is for the most part the Midwest, just like Oklahoma is for the most part the South.

Howest2008 you have posted a lot of interesting links, and I appreciate it. I don't agree with you that Oklahoma is not part of the South, but I'm not saying it's the Deep South either.
^^^
This. Right on target here, Fellar!

Old 09-23-2014, 08:50 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,683,227 times
Quote:

Surely there were more Christian conservatives fleeing from liberal Missouri and it's overly liberal alcohol laws back in 1889 and onward, which helps explain why Oklahoma is so far to the Christian right today. Missouri was where my grandparents and great grandparents came from. More than a century later, I've turned my nose to most of their conservative culture and attitudes.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:56 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,683,227 times
Quote:
Unlike in other parts of Oklahoma where cotton used to be widely grown, it's still grown in the Altus area today. Do you think many of the ancestors of Altus people came from the Deep South?

Old 09-24-2014, 12:18 AM

101 posts, read 123,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Unlike in other parts of Oklahoma where cotton used to be widely grown, it's still grown in the Altus area today. Do you think many of the ancestors of Altus people came from the Deep South?
Yes. This is actually true.

Altus is in the Old Greer County area that was once designated by the State of Texas to be opened to settlement by Confederate Veterans. There is a monument to the Confederate Veterans at the Jackson County Courthouse to this day. Jackson County is named after Stonewall Jackson (some sources claim President Jackson as the true source, but I have never heard that down there).

Google "Altus, Oklahoma" and this image is among the first results:

The southern drawl is still very noticeable there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma