Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2008, 04:14 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,790,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Maybe they're all Ronalds relatives.
LOL mike, love your sense of humor too

Old 01-19-2008, 07:38 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,325,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
McWOW! Nice response.

Those kind of McHomes look like what you see east of Norman! I still don't think they are THAT bad.

A lot of newer subdivisions have homes that are identical. I wonder if all the people who live in them are McPeople with Mcdogs and McCats.

You want fries with that?
Heh. It depends on how much the houses in the subdivisions are going for. I grew up in the middle of a subdivision, my family moved into it in the mid-fifties, but it had no pretensions to being anything other than what it was. Five different colors of siding, with or without carports. Identical floorplans. But those were well enough built that they're still going strong, and the houses that cost 10K then are currently selling for 100K now. And the yards weren't huge, but they were big enough for the kids to play in, or have picnics, or put up a badminton net.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:18 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
The only reason I don't think mcmansions are so bad is because millions of american's simply can't afford ~any~ home, let alone a mcmansion.

But if one CAN afford to buy a $160K+ priced home, then I wouldn't want a cookie cutter house either.

I grew up in suburban living and now as an adult, you couldn't pay me to live in any city. Although I almost bought a condo in OKC. Country living has so much of a therapeutic affect on me, it is priceless.

Even if I only spend a few moments sitting outside, or going outside to smoke a ciggie, having all that peace and solitude is the best thing in the world as far as I am concerned.

I know most of you have already done this, but in case someone hasn't here is a link where you can look at your home from a satellite image. It is pretty cool. Enjoy.

TerraServer-USA (http://terraserver-usa.com/default.aspx - broken link)

Last edited by _redbird_; 01-19-2008 at 09:38 PM..

Old 01-19-2008, 11:09 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,375,076 times
All of this McTalk reminds me of the time I ordered Chicken McNuggets at Wendys! He said, "Um, we don't have McNuggets, but we do have breaded chicken nuggets." I was embarrassed.
I saw something tonight I usually only read about, or see in a movie. We were at Hastings, and this young "lady" goes up to this guy and his "lady" companion, and starts screaming and crying about how he had lied to her and what the hell was he doing with HER?! He tries to calm her down, and she says "NO, leave me alone! " She then runs crying to her mom (?, I think) and proceeds to tell her in a loud, crying, voice. Well, the mother is mad about this, so she starts going over to where the couple is, and another member of the family talked her out of it. So, they left, glowering at this couple. We stay in there at least another 30 minutes, and when we go out, there were cop cars and police surrounding these people. They must have been out there fighting, screaming until the cops got there. Can you imagine catching your SO with someone else in public? I don't know the whole story but I did feel for the one who was lied to.

Last edited by Jess5; 01-19-2008 at 11:17 PM.. Reason: make correction

Old 01-19-2008, 11:21 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,325,183 times
Quote:
The only reason I don't think mcmansions are so bad is because millions of american's simply can't afford ~any~ home, let alone a mcmansion.

But if one CAN afford to buy a $160K+ priced home, then I wouldn't want a cookie cutter house either.

I grew up in suburban living and now as an adult, you couldn't pay me to live in any city. Although I almost bought a condo in OKC. Country living has so much of a therapeutic affect on me, it is priceless.

Even if I only spend a few moments sitting outside, or going outside to smoke a ciggie, having all that peace and solitude is the best thing in the world as far as I am concerned.

I know most of you have already done this, but in case someone hasn't here is a link where you can look at your home from a satellite image. It is pretty cool. Enjoy.

It's true about so many people not being able to afford any home at all, but the ones around here similar to the pictures posted aren't going for 160K, it's more like 350-500K, and the yards are tiny. REALLY tiny, to the point where the whole yard could be cut with a weedwacker, or even a hand snipper.

The worst thing about a lot of the mcmansions is that they aren't built well. The contractors cut corners and use the cheapest materials they can find, and anyone who buys one finds themself with a money pit.

I looked at my current place on that website, and it's scary. It looks so cramped and crowded, and yet the view is nearly 10 years old, so I know there are a couple more places to either side of me because they were put in after we moved here. I have GOT to get away from here!

As for having a peaceful cigarette, that's not a thing one can do around here. If you sit on a bench outside the grocery store - next to an ashtray, I might add - someone will stop and complain that you're polluting their air. One nice day I was outside the library waiting for the bus to pick me up, and having a cigarette. A total stranger, a woman with a bunch of pre-schoolers trailing after her, stopped and told me that Jesus could help me stop smoking, if I just asked him. I said that was the only legal vice left to me and I had no intention of quitting, and she got all huffy abd left and the kids following her said something to the effect that 'doesn't she believe in Jesus, mommy?'

Old 01-20-2008, 06:37 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
Quote:

You think that one is good. Just go to the following website and type in your address and then go to "birds eye."

Live Local Search

You get a full color close up image of your home in many places. My house is so clearly visible it's like veiwing from about 150 feet up, and you can view from any angle.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:46 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
You think that one is good. Just go to the following website and type in your address and then go to "birds eye."

Live Local Search

You get a full color close up image of your home in many places. My house is so clearly visible it's like veiwing from about 150 feet up, and you can view from any angle.
Can you give me the address of the local nudist camp, or nudist beach?

Karibear, I would've said, Jesus, please make this lady go away.

Jess5, sounds like Jerry Springer. That's what I hate the most, is drama. Why can't those idiots just go their seperate ways? And to involve the police makes it even worse. Cops shouldn't have to deal with trash. He should have taser'd the whole bunch.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:16 AM

Here's a pic of my house (the one with the pool) using the birds eye view from live local search. Pretty neat.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:59 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,621,625 times
That's a cool site, Synopsis. I live in an obscure area now so it doesn't have my house, but I looked up some places I used to live. I found my place now on Redbird's site and that was fun. Looks like about 5-10 years ago.

Nice house, Synopsis. That pool looks like fun for your daughter.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
That's a cool site, Synopsis. I live in an obscure area now so it doesn't have my house, but I looked up some places I used to live. I found my place now on Redbird's site and that was fun. Looks like about 5-10 years ago.

Nice house, Synopsis. That pool looks like fun for your daughter.
Thanks Peggy. That's pretty much what we have it for; I get into it sometimes in the summer and so does my wife, but mostly it's for our daughter's enjoyment. I put in a water slide about 5 years ago and she loves that thing. I think this pic of our house is about five years old, right after I put in the slide. It would've been neat if they could have taken the pic while I was outside or something. I probably was outside, under the patio where I spend a lot of my time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma