Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 08:24 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
IF you were to rate economies one to ten, Orange County started at 9.99999 and fell to maybe 5 or 6. Detroit Metro started at 5 or 6 and only fell to 4. So while it did not fall as far, it is still worse off. However as an entity, California is in far more trouble financially than Michigan is. California has the advantage of in infrastructure that is starting in an excellent position, while Michigan was falling behind before the crash.

However metro Detroit is picking back up a bit, while it is very difficult to tell what is happening in Orange County. Sometimes it appears to get a bit of a spark, then it seems like it is going the other way.

I agree that Orange County is one of the best places to live in the world if you are between 20 and about 33-35, especially if you are single or dinks. We loved everything about it during that time and felt that we would never even think about living anywhere else. However OC changed a little and we changed a lot (had 5 kids) and suddenly priorities are different plus the exoticness, and magic wore off. I even found myself agreeing with my wife occasionally when she said "Dang she needs to put on some clothes!" There has definitely been a change in the past ten years as well. Fashions moved more and more towards hooker wear (by the way, not saying these girls are slutty, just saying they look slutty - that is obviously how they are trying to look. However jumping on a fashion trend does not necessarily mean that they act slutty. ). This moved into younger and younger ages. Girls in 6th grade go to school wearing heavy heavy makeup, low cut blouses and sprayed on short shorts. They want to look like their older siblings or mother. The look nearly identical to street walkers. At camp in 6th grade our daughters were asked why they were not wearing G strings like most of the other girls. "Dont you want to look sexy?" This was church camp.

Big difference here. Pretty much everyone wears jeans and a T-shirt or a normal blouse. If girls dressed like they typically do in high school in OC they would be sent home (in Jr. high it would not be an issue - doesn't happen.). It is a very different atmosphere.

In answer to the other comment (didn't you know what it was like when you moved here?) No. We had not concern for schools and things were different). When we moved to OC we were in our early 20s and just about to get married. How kids dressed in the schools was not even on our radar screen. However it also changed considerably since we moved there.

I think it is funny how so many people hang on the negative comments. Overall we found OC to be a great place for most of 18 years. We had no regrets about moving there more most of that time. In the last few years, we did develop some regrets, mostly family related. Yet some people act as if we are saying that it is awful. That is not what we said, but yes there are some negatives. It is not perfect, and, as your priorities change, you could end up having some regrets about moving to OC. It depends on you.

Some people will say "No way" I will never ever have any regrets" We said that too. We felt the same way that pretty much all recent relocaters feel. For about 15 or 16 years. Some people becoem disenchanted and have regrets sooner, some people never do. However if w did not have kids and did not have family in Michigan, we would probably still live in Orange County. (Unless we visited Seattle, then we well may have moved there).
There is a closer geographic solution to this: Move to san diego! The LA/OC stuff you talk about re: young girls, is nowhere near as prolific in SD. Sure, labels and 'cool brands', are, as is technology, but that's everywhere. At least, I remember wanting certain types of clothes, shoes, etc. back in the 80's in a small new england town! That is not new, and it is, as always, up to parents to say 'um, no'. I've had one parent here in upscale SD suburb tell me '20 dollars is too much for a shirt for an 11 year old girl'. so she tells her daughter no. lol. I love it.

SD as a whole is more of a 'raise a family place' than OC, especially today. My spouse is a SD native, and sure, the city is so different than when growing up in the 70's and 80's, but it's still a really good spot for families/kid, IMO. And I grew up in new england; the small towns/villages with character, and the SCHOOLS are what are lacking. Otherwise, folks wanting out of OC and the too much too soon for their kids, but still wanting warm so cal weather and ocean, check SD.

Last edited by lrmsd; 03-01-2012 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 08:36 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,054,859 times
Well I can't really "regret" anything as I was dragged here when I was 12 (I'm almost 20 now). I was actually quite excited to move here, as I came down to Southern California many times as a little kid and always loved it. It was a great break from the grey and drizzle of Oregon.
Later I moved to East Texas, and once I knew I was moving to SoCal, I was finally glad to not live in a rainy climate any more. After a month, I realised how accustomed to such weather that having sun all the time just seemed weird to me.
Now despite that, I would still take where I live now over most parts of Texas any day, but that's not really saying much. Orange County is full of conservatism, materialistic, neo-republicanism, suburban sprawl, and everything else I can't stand. The beaches are nice, and Disneyland's enjoyable, but other than that there's not too much I like. As for LA, it's alright, I'm more of a San Francisco person really.
Once I'm done with Jr College I'm getting the hell out of here. I'll probably go back to my home state of Oregon or some other place with a cooler climate and more for a single, young adult male.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:59 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legal_eagle View Post
With the strong religious influence in OC,

No place is perfect. Hopefully OC will come around some day in that regard.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:21 AM

74 posts, read 188,421 times
I love the weather, the beaches, the low crime, the cleanliness.

I dislike our lack of culture. The yuppies, bro dudes, and militant republican closet racists.

Overall, I feel fortunate to have a home here.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:49 AM

3,272 posts, read 3,935,073 times
I moved here in 1990, wish it had been in 1980.

If you don't like OC, feel free to leave and take a close friend with you.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:58 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnev3 View Post
I love the weather, the beaches, the low crime, the cleanliness.

I dislike our lack of culture. The yuppies, bro dudes, and militant republican closet racists.

Overall, I feel fortunate to have a home here.
Are they any better than the passive Democrat closet racists in the Bay Area, Seattle and on the East Coast?!

Old 03-06-2012, 12:40 AM

74 posts, read 188,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Are they any better than the passive Democrat closet racists in the Bay Area, Seattle and on the East Coast?!
That's how I feel. You don't have to agree. A lot of OC residents like raised pickup trucks, Yes on Prop 8 bumper stickers, and gated communities with houses all the same color. It's just not for me.

But i've owned a home here since I was 23 with no intentions on moving, because I take advantage of the good things that OC has to offer.

I've been to Seattle, East Coast, and SF, and they have their benefits and downfalls like everywhere else, and i'd be just as honest about them if I lived there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County