Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 12:12 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plotzonit View Post
Keep in mind that my experience is from 11-12 years ago before you get all snarky. Which reminds me of what I DON'T miss about the OC.
Not getting snarky. Just joking. Relax a little and laugh. You probably just don't remember exactly. 5-6 hours is typical. 3 hours is possible, but pretty crazy.

Even without any traffic, averaging 88 MPH is flying, especially when you are including surface streets and traffic lights at each end. You could do it in three hours if you drove about 105-115 mph on most of the freeway portion of the trip. However you almost always have to slow down through Riverside and in some other places. If you had to slow down at all on portions of the freeway, then you would be up around 125 mph on the open parts. You do not really need a Bugati to go 105, but that is flying. At 125, you need a high end vehicle unless you are crazy. I once drove 135 in a car built to handle 155, but that was very scary. I did not go that fast for long. One pothole, or an animal, a broken down car - bang - you dead. I cannot imagine driving 125 or even 105 for several hours, I would be so tense when I arrived, that I would just want to go to bed.

I did know a guy (not well but met him twice) who lived in OC and worked in Vegas. He regularly made it in less than 4 hours. However he eventually flew into the back of a rock truck at 115 and disintegrated. It was sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 01:29 PM

396 posts, read 977,077 times
Okay. You're forgiven. We would leave from Corona (Riverside) when we stayed with my husband's parents on some weekends (or watch their house when they traveled). I should mention my husband comes from a family of racers. That's NOT to say he drove crazy, but we sure wouldn't leave at 5:00pm on a Friday like most people seemed to do - THAT was crazy! We'd leave in the wee hours of the am so we could get a whole two days in Sin City. Sorry to hear about your friend.

By the way - I thought I saw someone on here post they've never been to Vegas. Please DO go. It's a blast! You don't have to be a gambler. The shows are amazing and the food is awesome. Heck - just walking the strip is a show in itself (and walking through some of the hotels - my favorite is the Mirage. Do they still have the white tigers?)! It's a shame to live so close and never see it. Treat yourself royal (even if it's just one time) ;-)

Old 08-29-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plotzonit View Post
Okay. You're forgiven. We would leave from Corona (Riverside) when we stayed with my husband's parents on some weekends (or watch their house when they traveled). I should mention my husband comes from a family of racers. That's NOT to say he drove crazy, but we sure wouldn't leave at 5:00pm on a Friday like most people seemed to do - THAT was crazy! We'd leave in the wee hours of the am so we could get a whole two days in Sin City. Sorry to hear about your friend.

By the way - I thought I saw someone on here post they've never been to Vegas. Please DO go. It's a blast! You don't have to be a gambler. The shows are amazing and the food is awesome. Heck - just walking the strip is a show in itself (and walking through some of the hotels - my favorite is the Mirage. Do they still have the white tigers?)! It's a shame to live so close and never see it. Treat yourself royal (even if it's just one time) ;-)
Last time I was there, we found $100 laying on the floor.

I like Vegas for about two days and then I want to escape. The constant din and huge crowds of ticked off drunk people make me antsy. The buildings and shows are really amazing and gambling is fun for five to ten hours if you play craps (and win). However it is close to Zion Canyon in Utah and that is one of my favorite places in the world. A couple of days in Vegas followed by the rest of the week at Zion is a great vacation, the contrast is so marked, it makes it even better.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:30 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

When we moved to CA we were not aware that jr. high school girls commonly dress like hookers in the public schools. We were not aware that our daugters would be considered prudes by eighth grade because they were determined to remain chas5e until marriage.
Non Hispanic White teen birth rates per 1000:

California 15.8
Michigan 24.7

Data from

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db46.pdf

Old 08-29-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Actuallythis is not true. Morals and values differ in different areas. Sometimes people on both coasts have an egocentric viewpoint that results in the belief that everyone wants to look and act like them. Fortunately, this is untrue. As I mentioned, where we live now, if you go to the hgh school you will see no bare bellies, nearly bare breasts, sprayed on short shorts. You do not see Jr. high school girls caked in makes up that makes them look like hookers. In fact, almost no girls wear any make up before high school. If kids dress the way many do in CA public schools, they are sent home or held in the office until someone brings them some other clothing. Boys with underwear sticking out of their pants or bare chests are not going to remain in school that way. Girls with bare bellies, exposed breasts, anything above their knees, are not tolerated. It is a distraction to learning and farily strictly enforced. Someone who declares themselves committed to remaining chaste and wears a promise ring is not ridiculed, they are either simply respected for their choice or more often just not reacted to at all. The moral atmoshere and general values are very different here. Hard work and community service are lauded above fashion and possession of name brand items. Sure there is some of that, but it is not the overriding criteria for acceptance.
I walk around my kids' schools every now and then and I rarely see kids dressed as "loose" as you describe.

Heck, doesn't anybody remember Ditto Jeans on chicks in the 1970s? They didn't get much sexier or tighter than Dittos.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:00 PM

396 posts, read 977,077 times
Quote:
Last time I was there, we found $100 laying on the floor.

I like Vegas for about two days and then I want to escape. The constant din and huge crowds of ticked off drunk people make me antsy. The buildings and shows are really amazing and gambling is fun for five to ten hours if you play craps (and win). However it is close to Zion Canyon in Utah and that is one of my favorite places in the world. A couple of days in Vegas followed by the rest of the week at Zion is a great vacation, the contrast is so marked, it makes it even better.
Yes! Finding money is fun! (but I never found more than $20!). When I lived in NY I used to fly to Vegas a couple of times a year, so would stay a week - but never tired of it. I was younger, so I had tons of energy, set only so much aside each day for gambling (it's fun to watch a winning craps table, but I never participated. I did either slots or black jack), hit a few shows and went shopping. I always came home with extra clothes and was at least $400 ahead, so I could never complain. Fun times! Now my ideal vacation is lounging at home for week and getting things done I wouldn't get done otherwise! LOL

When we were in Cali this past April to visit family, we took a day to go to Hungtington Beach - VERY nice. It was nicer than I remembered. They had some newer hotels and everything was so clean. So - aside from seeinig some of our old haunts turn a little nasty, it was nice to see the beach well taken care of. Very pretty!

My husband's been to Utah and said it is absolutely beautiful. A friend of mine I used to work with in Cali married a girl from Utah and he fell in love with it. They moved there about 9 years ago. Now they miss Cali and want to go back - said they miss the weather. Come to think of it - EVERY day was a perfect hair day for me in Cali. Here in SC it is so humid that I'd rather spend a 100 degree day in Cali than an 80 degree day here in SC. But the Fall and Winter in SC is awesome.

Getting back to the original post - I think it's only fair to say that every place has it's ups and downs. If I could get my friends and family from NY to move to SC and have California's weather (except for Fall! I've GOT to have my SC Fall!) - and also my husband's family here (and the wonderful friends I made in Cali) - I would be in Heaven! But why have regrets? Trust me, as I've said previously - when you go back to where you came from - it's never the same. I'm glad I lived in NY, Cali and now SC. I've had some wonderful life experiences from it. I think everyone should try to live somewhere else other than where they're from at least once in their lifetime.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

California 15.8
Michigan 24.7

Data from

Is this supposed to demonstrate something? White California teens use Condoms more than white Michigan teens? California has more wealthy teenage girls?

Does this somehow include unreported pregnancies that are terminated? It appears to only include "birth rates" this may deomnstrate that California teens are more likely to get an abortion. That woudl not be surprising. Although there are no statistics available, I can pretty much guarantee that unreported and/or terminated pregnancies are massively more common in California, particularly in areas like OC, LA, SF.

Actually, many of the CA parents that we know had their daughters on the pill by age 12-14. Does it surpise me that a place where promiscuity is more widely accepted has a lower reported teen birth rate amongst white teens? Not at all.

Why are you excluding Hispanic teens? Don't they attend pretty much all OC high schools? Why would they be excluded? I could see excluding teens in certain impoverished areas of both states in order to make some sort of meaningful comparison since teen birth rates are unusually high in impoverished area, but those areas do not really impact what we mentioned. Either way, th fact that Califrnia teens get abortions more often when they get pregnant really does nto disprove that they dress in sleazy outfits/makeup at an early age. All you have to do is visit a couple of high schools in nice areas in each place to see the difference. No need to try to twist statistics. Your eyes cannot be fooled by statistical games.

I certainly hope that the young girls dressing like hookers are on some sort of birth control. However this has nothing to do with the generally loose moral atmosphere we had problems with in CA. If anything it simply demonstrates it. You cannot seriously argue that OC does not have a loose moral atmosphere, or a focus on materialism, so perhaps your point is that the loose moral atmosphere is better because more girls are on the pill and therefore get pregnant less, or get abortions more readily when they do get pregnant. That may have appeal to many people. Not to me.

Sorry, OC has many many appealing points as a place to live, but a good moral atmosphere for kids is certainly not one of them. Howevr there are loads of other benefits that for a huge number of people obviously outweigh the negatives. As I said, we loved it, we had few to no regrets, but there are some things that we regret or found unaccaptable. Certainly no one is naieve enough to think that OC is perfect in every way./

Last edited by Coldjensens; 08-30-2011 at 10:33 AM..

Old 08-30-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
OC has many many appealing points as a place to live, but a good moral atmosphere for kids is certainly not one of them.
Can you come up with one non-subjective statistic or apples to apples metric or demographic data point that supports this? Or, is this all speculation and opinion? Your assertion may well be a myth or assumption.

Are we comparing kids from the same demographic? Income, parents marriage situation, parents education background, etc?

And even if it is true (which I am not acknowledging), what is the magnitude of the difference? Are we talking 25% or 50% or are we talking something that is basically in the noise and irrelevant like 1% or 2%? I doubt the differences are that big. There is too much homogeneity in our society these days.

If midwest communities are slightly more "moral" (whatever that really means anyway) then is it worth it to live there considering all the other benefits of Southern California?

Old 08-30-2011, 11:58 AM

370 posts, read 999,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

California 15.8
Michigan 24.7

Data from

I don't doubt this statistic
I grew up in Michigan, and it was not uncommon to marry your High School
Sweetheart, and actually stay married, and raise a family at a young age.
Having their first child at 18 or 19 would not surprise me at all

Old 08-30-2011, 12:03 PM

484 posts, read 822,265 times
With the strong religious influence in OC, I would think it's a good place to raise kids (it worked for me).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County