Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2010, 06:27 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,488 times

Advertisements

Just a quick counter point to a point made by the original poster.

There are tons of jobs here. Tons of good jobs too... but if you are going to land a job here that will pay the cost of living here, you really have to be in the top percentage of your field and it needs to be a good field.

Otherwise, like any other place where there is a lot of wealth, the "other side" of town is equally as sucky.

Like the original poster said, "if you have the money" OC rocks. If not, you won't like it.

Or in reality, you will like it, but won't be able to enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 04:37 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,544,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
Just a quick counter point to a point made by the original poster.

There are tons of jobs here. Tons of good jobs too... but if you are going to land a job here that will pay the cost of living here, you really have to be in the top percentage of your field and it needs to be a good field.

Otherwise, like any other place where there is a lot of wealth, the "other side" of town is equally as sucky.

Like the original poster said, "if you have the money" OC rocks. If not, you won't like it.

Or in reality, you will like it, but won't be able to enjoy it.
Great point. The same can probably be said of the SF Bay Area.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:53 PM

7 posts, read 93,772 times
Nevermind...

Last edited by veeew; 03-09-2010 at 12:40 AM..

Old 03-09-2010, 12:28 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,015,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veeew View Post
One thing Rae forgot to mention is the fact that a lot of OC people are complete a**holes, as can be seen by some of the responses on here. Their delusion about the alleged grandeur of their ghetto county (and region) is illustrated by their defensive rage against anyone who would speak the truth about their third-world cesspool of a county. Yes, there are "rich" areas, but I would take any of the other beautiful cities I have visited (one of which I now live in) ANY DAY over anything the OC has to offer. Even if I could afford to live anywhere, I would choose to live in another state with beautiful greenery, down-to-earth people, friendly neighbors, a relaxing environment, free access to nature, etc. The OC offers NONE of these things. Everything is ugly, overrated, and expensive. The people are plastic, rude, and many do not speak English. I abhor the OC and will never return. I am so much happier living with real people in real nature with plenty of room to play and enjoy life. To the OC defenders who will be enraged that I would suggest there are FAR superior places to the OC - get over yourself. I don't care what you think and you may not care what I think, either, but there are people that do. But if you do choose to respond, you will only further prove my point, so have at it.
You're being a tease. Where do you live?

Old 03-09-2010, 08:31 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
You're being a tease. Where do you live?
My money is on Raleigh-Durham.

Still taking bets.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:34 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,449 times
Veeew you need to relax. You sound like someone who is seriously jaded, and immature. I don't think anyone would take you seriously.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:38 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,948,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veeew View Post
One thing Rae forgot to mention is the fact that a lot of OC people are complete a**holes, as can be seen by some of the responses on here. Their delusion about the alleged grandeur of their ghetto county (and region) is illustrated by their defensive rage against anyone who would speak the truth about their third-world cesspool of a county. Yes, there are "rich" areas, but I would take any of the other beautiful cities I have visited (one of which I now live in) ANY DAY over anything the OC has to offer. Even if I could afford to live anywhere, I would choose to live in another state with beautiful greenery, down-to-earth people, friendly neighbors, a relaxing environment, free access to nature, etc. The OC offers NONE of these things. Everything is ugly, overrated, and expensive. The people are plastic, rude, and many do not speak English. I abhor the OC and will never return. I am so much happier living with real people in real nature with plenty of room to play and enjoy life. To the OC defenders who will be enraged that I would suggest there are FAR superior places to the OC - get over yourself. I don't care what you think and you may not care what I think, either, but there are people that do. But if you do choose to respond, you will only further prove my point, so have at it
I know he edited all this out, but this is one of the most immature things I've read here so far. If I choose to rebut your inane position, it just proves your point? LOL.

Truth is, you can probably take this drivel and substitute Boca Raton, Greenwich, CT, or any other highly desirable suburb here, but in the end, you just make yourself look like a sore loser letting jealousy get the best of him. Sorry things didn't work out for you here, but hey, tough ****. I'd probably say the same thing if I tried to live in Manhattan.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:14 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
its not perfect. my memphis uncle say huc, livin in california is like livin with a beautiful woman that has a headache all the time.
Perfect description!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
My analogy is "California is like an ex-wife: you had a lot of good times together, in the beginning life was good, the sex was great, you still miss her sometimes, and in some ways you still love her - but you just can't stand living with her anymore."

I knew a guy who divorced his wife then married her again.
Very true, all except the "missing her sometimes" and the "married her again" part. Neither of those computes! Wouldn't do either in my wildest imaginings (I don't have any) regarding the ex. Moving back to CA would be preferable if that was my only other choice,

Old 05-16-2010, 12:51 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,149,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Perfect description!

Very true, all except the "missing her sometimes" and the "married her again" part. Neither of those computes! Wouldn't do either in my wildest imaginings (I don't have any) regarding the ex. Moving back to CA would be preferable if that was my only other choice,
Lol, so true... And when I did live in CA, I had a headache many times due to the traffic, smog and inability to understand anyone because the majority of the population spoke another language...hahaha!!!!

The best place to be in CA....loaded with money in some beach house away from the rest of the chaos... But reality sets in and for the majority of us...it isn't an option. I would never move back unless forced.

Thanks for your comments...

Old 05-17-2010, 12:07 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
Lol, so true... And when I did live in CA, I had a headache many times due to the traffic, smog and inability to understand anyone because the majority of the population spoke another language...hahaha!!!!

The best place to be in CA....loaded with money in some beach house away from the rest of the chaos... But reality sets in and for the majority of us...it isn't an option. I would never move back unless forced.

Thanks for your comments...
California is over populated, has high unemployment, and doesn't need more people. I don't think you'll ever be forced, or even asked to come back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County