Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 11:37 AM

31 posts, read 91,936 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts on where Ladera home prices will be in the next 1-5 years? Seems their prices dropped earlier and more steeply than other OC areas so does this mean an earlier recovery? Will they keep going down or are they leveling out in Ladera?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 12:37 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
I doubt an earlier recovery. Mello Roos is heavy in that area afaik, which will hurt affordability as the market stays stagnant. Reason being there are still plenty of great areas nearby, so Ladera Ranch isn't the diamond in the rough to make it ultra-desirable compared to less expensive cities like Mission Viejo and Aliso Viejo that are still safe with comparable schools

Old 08-28-2009, 12:53 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
I've looked online at Ladera Ranch and sort of like above, the biggest killer isn't the housing prices, it's the Mello Roos and HOA. Property tax is pretty easy to visualize. Mello Roos isn't super easy to get online (at least I don't know an easy way, like on a redfin page). Redfin lists the HOA. Interestingly, mello roos is layed out on homes in north San Diego county on redfin. Wish redfin did that for OC. I emailed with a redfin official a couple weeks ago and he wrote that redfin will be changing data providers "soon" and it should greatly improve data displays. Hope they fix the resale data glitches.

There are a couple other communities with lower HOA like Wagon Wheel.

Recommend you check out irvinehousingblog forum for more detailed discussion.

Also, do a search on Missionhome's posts; lots of good neighborhood comparison information.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:10 PM

31 posts, read 91,936 times
I hadn't thought of how HOA and/or Mello Roos could affect the health of a micromarket within OC. Makes total sense now that I think of this. I had read in places that Ladera prices were leveling out which just shocked me (thus prompting this post). I don't see how that area avoids further decreases in price, but what do I know?!

Old 08-28-2009, 04:25 PM

916 posts, read 3,698,852 times
In my opinion it's too far south and from job centers, inland and hot, nothing original (it's cookie cutter, sterile, etc) and developed at the height of the market. This area isn't going to recover for awhile.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:13 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,432,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesRes View Post
In my opinion it's too far south and from job centers, inland and hot, nothing original (it's cookie cutter, sterile, etc) and developed at the height of the market. This area isn't going to recover for awhile.
I remember when Ladera was first started back in the early 90's when I lived out there. It was such a hot topic because it was the "newest" housing development in the OC. I remember seeing the signs and all the land laid out for it....talk about huge! I was out there for a visit about a year ago for the first time since I moved away and was shocked at how many homes they fit in there! Definitely the typical suburban development with all the houses right next to each other. And there was for sale and foreclosure signs on every street it seemed like. It was disappointing to see because they talked it up to be this very nice, upscale area and yet it seems to be in decline now. I sure do hope the California economy gets better soon!

Old 08-28-2009, 06:38 PM

A very interesting commentary on the Mission Viejo, Ladera Ranch, RSM evolution and architecture.

Why is Ladera Ranch Flawed?

Old 08-28-2009, 06:40 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,434,862 times
Ladera is one of the most depressing areas of Orange County. It seems like everyone is dirt broke. Construction was from around 2002 (around there)-2008 which means everybody pretty much bought at the height of the market. Other cities like Mission Viejo, Lake Forest, San Juan Capistrano, etc.... you still have many many families that bought in the 90's and could still sell today and make a profit. The difference is that in Ladera, EVERYONE bought when the market was hot.

You see the spill over at stores. I was at a home decor shop in Ladera and when I went to write a check they said, "Oh no, we don't take checks anymore because most people are bouncing." The sad thing is many Laderians are still trying to "act" like everything is fine. As a general example, Tamra Barney from the Real Housewives of OC is listing her home as a short sale, but then still parades around TV like she is some rich snob. Surprisingly some Laderians aren't that different.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
Ladera is one of the most depressing areas of Orange County. It seems like everyone is dirt broke. Construction was from around 2002 (around there)-2008 which means everybody pretty much bought at the height of the market. Other cities like Mission Viejo, Lake Forest, San Juan Capistrano, etc.... you still have many many families that bought in the 90's and could still sell today and make a profit. The difference is that in Ladera, EVERYONE bought when the market was hot.
From the City Data Real Estate forum:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/real-...der-water.html
"I just sold my place for HALF of what I paid for it in 2006 and I dont owe anything to the taxman or bank.

I did not even realize that I had this option, a short sale, until doing some searches and research online. Yeah, it hurt my credit but it wasn't worth paying twice the amount of my mortgage that my new neighbor was paying... for the next 27 years nonetheless! Anyway, my credit will rebound in a couple of years and I'm all good. Plus, I didnt even pay my mortgage and prop taxes for 8 months and walked away with a nice nest egg.

I'm renting for now because I just moved for work. I wouldn't want to buy anyway right now with prices still dropping and foreclosures going up.

My Realtor was awesome and my deal went smoothly but I hear stories of long escrows because banks are backed up.

Anyone else have good or bad experiences with short sales in Los Angeles?"

Old 08-28-2009, 08:00 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,432,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $DFW8$ View Post
I remember when Ladera was first started back in the early 90's when I lived out there. It was such a hot topic because it was the "newest" housing development in the OC. I remember seeing the signs and all the land laid out for it....talk about huge! I was out there for a visit about a year ago for the first time since I moved away and was shocked at how many homes they fit in there! Definitely the typical suburban development with all the houses right next to each other. And there was for sale and foreclosure signs on every street it seemed like. It was disappointing to see because they talked it up to be this very nice, upscale area and yet it seems to be in decline now. I sure do hope the California economy gets better soon!
Oh I just realized I made a mistake. I moved out there in the early 90's and moved in 2000, right around the time it was starting. Sorry didn't want to confuse anybody!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County