Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 08:26 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,542,099 times

Advertisements

Did you try the Hatfield Marine Science Center? Aside from all those places you went to (and I love every one of them), the MHSC is very kid friendly and educational.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 09:45 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Did you try the Hatfield Marine Science Center? Aside from all those places you went to (and I love every one of them), the MHSC is very kid friendly and educational.
Ooooh ... haven't been there yet, but definitely would like to check it out. We're going back to that area again in May for a planned camping trip and want to check it out then, if we don't make it back for another spur of the moment trip before then.

I was wondering - is there a good season for sand dollars? I mean, is there like a certain time of the year that is the best time for finding the skeletons of sand dollars on the beach? I was wondering if there was a natural time for them to die... kind of like how in the late fall and winter you can find empty wasp nests in the trees because the wasps have gone underground during the cold weather... or how the salmon naturally die within two weeks of spawning. Do sand dollars have a similar life cycle or pattern to them somehow?

Maybe we can find out at the MHSC!

Old 03-13-2009, 11:50 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,236,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post

I was wondering - is there a good season for sand dollars? I mean, is there like a certain time of the year that is the best time for finding the skeletons of sand dollars on the beach? I was wondering if there was a natural time for them to die... kind of like how in the late fall and winter you can find empty wasp nests in the trees because the wasps have gone underground during the cold weather... or how the salmon naturally die within two weeks of spawning. Do sand dollars have a similar life cycle or pattern to them somehow?

Maybe we can find out at the MHSC!
I don't know about there being any particular good time of year for finding sand dollars, something to think about tho, but I do find that each different beach along the coast seems to have more abundance of certain particular sealife/shells such as starfish, sand dollars, etc. The best sand dollar beach that I have found is Horsfall Beach just north of Coos Bay. One can always find a sand dollar there.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:52 AM

31 posts, read 180,367 times
haggardhouseelf, I swear we must follow you around and just never know it!! We were at Seal Rock cause we love that place!! Got some awesome photos like this one.

We need to just carpool!

Old 03-13-2009, 11:58 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,286,246 times
Haggard,
Your writing is quite charming. I really enjoyed the read. Better than "seeing" the coast, I got a sense of what you felt while exploring.

Thanks,
S

Old 03-14-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashelly View Post
I don't know about there being any particular good time of year for finding sand dollars, something to think about tho, but I do find that each different beach along the coast seems to have more abundance of certain particular sealife/shells such as starfish, sand dollars, etc. The best sand dollar beach that I have found is Horsfall Beach just north of Coos Bay. One can always find a sand dollar there.
I've been trying to read about the life cycles of sand dollars, and although what I've found is very interesting, I haven't found anything that correlates their life cycle to our seasons. I'll keep looking as I have time...

I have learned that sea stars are the natural predators of sand dollars. As well as snails and "skates". I don't know what "skates" are... now I have another new thing to learn about! This is fun...

I'm wondering if the beaches where you are more likely to find sand dollars, are the areas where you are less likely to find sea stars? Makes sense, doesn't it? Just as how sea stars and sea anemones are often found together - the stars higher up on the rocks and the anemones below - because the anemones eat the sea stars "leftovers". Evidently sea stars are very sloppy eaters, so the anemones place themselves below the stars to benefit from the mess.

So... then I wonder if the better places to find sand dollars would be those great long stretches of flat sandy beaches, as opposed to the great tide pooling areas with their cliffs and rocks...

I have never stopped in Coos Bay or explored Horsfall Beach... thanks for that tip seashelly. I have also heard that the beach just before the Necanicum River near Seaside, OR is also a good place to find sand dollars, as well as Arcadia Beach (south of Cannon Beach).

Old 03-14-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiier View Post
haggardhouseelf, I swear we must follow you around and just never know it!! We were at Seal Rock cause we love that place!! Got some awesome photos like this one.

We need to just carpool!
Oh that is a great photo! At first you don't even notice the seal on the rock because the waves are so dramatic, but then you see that guy perched there... like he's on a ride at Six Flag's or something.... weeeeee! It must be a good life there for those guys.

We take loads of pictures, but I either need a better camera or a photography class! Also, most of mine have my children in them and I'm not sure about posting them online.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
Haggard,
Your writing is quite charming. I really enjoyed the read. Better than "seeing" the coast, I got a sense of what you felt while exploring.

Thanks,
S
Thank you! That's nice of you to say. I've been told several times over the years that I should write children's books. I sometimes dream of becoming a writer, and start stories, I even illustrate them, but have trouble finishing them. I get sidetracked or busy with life... or I think to myself - how the heck would I ever get this published, anyway? Perhaps when my boylets are older I'll go back and finish at least one of them! Anyway - thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed the post!

Old 03-14-2009, 03:33 PM

291 posts, read 948,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
You can tell your wife that if you find just the "test" (the hard, white or greyish skeleton of the sand dollar) on the beach, there is "nobody home" and it's totally OK to treasure it. When sand dollars are alive, they have a spiny, velvety skin that is sometimes greenish, greyish, purple or even blue in color that covers the "test". When alive - they look like colorful, fuzzy, cookies.

It's refreshing, though, to hear of someone having and showing respect for sea creatures! So many people just do what they want without regard or compassion for anything else. You're wife sounds like a very kind and thoughtful person!
That is great news! We love finding them on the beach. And yes, my wife is incredible! It has been ten years of bliss!

My wife and I found about a dozen sand dollars at Copalis beach in July about four years ago. Copalis is on the WA coast, just north of Ocean Shores. The beach is very flat and sandy. You may be correct about the type of beach and possibly the time of year being prevalent. Happy hunting!

Have a great day!
wc@h

Last edited by West coast at heart; 03-14-2009 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 03-14-2009, 04:54 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,236,146 times
[quote=haggardhouseelf;7881775]....

I'm wondering if the beaches where you are more likely to find sand dollars, are the areas where you are less likely to find sea stars? Makes sense, doesn't it? Just as how sea stars and sea anemones are often found together - the stars higher up on the rocks and the anemones below - because the anemones eat the sea stars "leftovers". Evidently sea stars are very sloppy eaters, so the anemones place themselves below the stars to benefit from the mess.

So... then I wonder if the better places to find sand dollars would be those great long stretches of flat sandy beaches, as opposed to the great tide pooling areas with their cliffs and rocks...

QUOTE]

Yes, Haggardhouseelf, that does make sense now. Yes @ Horsfall Beach, with all the Sand Dollars, is a long stretch of sandy beach whereas the Star Fish can be spotted @ the rocky Haceta Head Lighthouse Beach near Florence, some of the rockier tidepool beaches toward Waldport and Newport, and also along with Anemones in the tidepools of Face Rock Beach in Bandon. Star Fish cling to rocks so rocky beaches make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon