Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 08:20 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,078,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Glad to see that the numbers are up.

2021 is approaching fast. I wonder how the transition will go, and how that will affect prices. $3.00 for a quick 40 minute ride from Sanford to Downtown Orlando is a bargain. Faster than driving (during peak hours), and cheaper, and comfortable.
Numbers are up, but so are stations and expenses. The ridership per station isn't increasing tremendously.

To balance 30,000,000 the state gives us a year, with currently 1.5 Million Rides a year.

Each ride would have to increase by $20 each way to break even.

It's a bargain because every Floridian is paying for a system that few use.
Why no SANFORD Airport Station? Who dropped the ball on that one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 08:29 PM

17,210 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Numbers are up, but so are stations and expenses. The ridership per station isn't increasing tremendously.

To balance 30,000,000 the state gives us a year, with currently 1.5 Million Rides a year.

Each ride would have to increase by $20 each way to break even.

It's a bargain because every Floridian is paying for a system that few use.
Why no SANFORD Airport Station? Who dropped the ball on that one?
It was a gimmick initially that has now turned into a near-necessity. Your post is somewhat echoing mine: In 2021, when funding becomes local, how will this pan out? Where will the funds come from? You can't just shut it down, because it's now a major part of Orlando, and many people have come to depend on it -- unless we encourage everyone to start using I-4 again, which would mean an inevitable overhaul (again) once this Ultimate fiasco is complete.

The solution at this point is to make it more useful to everyone. The MCO and Disney stops are good starters, but I agree with you that a Sanford airport stop would make a lot of sense too. The Sanford airport is way too far out, and getting to and from there from virtually anywhere is a nightmare.

They also need to find some kind of way to have it run during events, and on weekends. I understand the issues with Amtrak and CFX... But these are things they should have thought of BEFORE investing in the system.

Old 05-03-2019, 05:21 AM

Quote:
It was a gimmick initially that has now turned into a near-necessity. Your post is somewhat echoing mine: In 2021, when funding becomes local, how will this pan out? Where will the funds come from? You can't just shut it down, because it's now a major part of Orlando, and many people have come to depend on it -- unless we encourage everyone to start using I-4 again, which would mean an inevitable overhaul (again) once this Ultimate fiasco is complete.

The solution at this point is to make it more useful to everyone. The MCO and Disney stops are good starters, but I agree with you that a Sanford airport stop would make a lot of sense too. The Sanford airport is way too far out, and getting to and from there from virtually anywhere is a nightmare.

They also need to find some kind of way to have it run during events, and on weekends. I understand the issues with Amtrak and CFX... But these are things they should have thought of BEFORE investing in the system.
It isn't a major part of Orlando- and very few have come to depend on it. Roughly 3000 people per weekday. That's 20x less than Lynx Boardings- and as I've mentioned numerous times the at-grade crossing for those 3000 people inconveniences far more drivers by creating congestion at crossings.

MCO Stop is presently useless. The Bus goes to MCO directly from Downtown Orlando and all the Sunrail stations South on Orange Avenue... a train extension as a separate spur will take longer than the current means of transport- just to 'look nicer'.

Lake Mary Sunrail is 2 miles from the Sanford airport. A direct connect was feasible.

They didn't think these things through before forming the system. They did it as cheaply as possible and with regards to a band-aid that would be a problem come FDOT pulling funding out, which is coming up.

If every current SunRail rider started going on I-4 it would add less than 1% to the daily traffic. That's how low ridership is.

If you look at the 2 dollar fare vs actual cost of 22 dollar fare- you recognize the subsidy is far too high to justify such tiny ridership. Set a goal the combines fares and ridership that can drop farebox recovery to 50%, and if you can't reach that goal- shut the system down.

Old 05-03-2019, 05:45 AM

It's more than double the 3,000 figure at the moment. And that's with some pretty poor scheduling. It's definitely going to increase as time progresses.
With every little change they make, ridership increases. With the downtown expansions, including the new UCF campus, ridership will increase.
The biggest gaffe was sharing an existing railroad with CSX and Amtrak.

MCO stop may seem useless to you, but I guarantee you a lot of people would be using it as opposed to the bus. Regardless of whether they achieve the same end result or not, there isn't much to debate when it comes to riding a bus vs riding a train. It's not to "look nicer." It's just that much more comfortable and relaxing.
Orlando doesn't have BRT lanes outside of downtown, so the bus has to fight traffic. It also has to make a billion stops at every corner where a passenger requests a ride or dropoff. It's not the same, and many people avoid the bus for reasons such as this.

Obviously Lynx is going to have significantly more boardings -- There are HOW MANY Lynx lines? And it operates at all hours, with stops all over town, including strategic locations where many don't have cars.

Last edited by Arcenal813; 05-03-2019 at 06:09 AM..

Old 05-03-2019, 06:44 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,950,344 times
Ok so you guys do know that the MCO link is now gonna be through VirginTrains (formerly Brightline) at the Meadowoods station.

And the Lake Mary stop is more than 2 miles from SFB.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Ok so you guys do know that the MCO link is now gonna be through VirginTrains (formerly Brightline) at the Meadowoods station.

And the Lake Mary stop is more than 2 miles from SFB.
Yes, I know.

I'm just saying that the connection is going to be a huge convenience, particularly for those coming from Sanford or Kissimmee trying to get to MCO without having to drive. Sure, you can ride a bus from downtown, but why?

And you're right: Sanford airport is roughly 7 miles from the Lake Mary station.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
It's more than double the 3,000 figure at the moment. And that's with some pretty poor scheduling. It's definitely going to increase as time progresses.
With every little change they make, ridership increases. With the downtown expansions, including the new UCF campus, ridership will increase.
The biggest gaffe was sharing an existing railroad with CSX and Amtrak.

MCO stop may seem useless to you, but I guarantee you a lot of people would be using it as opposed to the bus. Regardless of whether they achieve the same end result or not, there isn't much to debate when it comes to riding a bus vs riding a train. It's not to "look nicer." It's just that much more comfortable and relaxing.
It's 6000 boardings per day, that's 3000 people riding round trip.
Ridership decreased during the first two years. Even as the I-4 rebuild began.

While it has increased recently--- it is partially on account to adding 3 new stops- which come with their own costs to operate.

It has not grown in proportion to the larger population (almost 10% more) that has been added to the Orlando MSA in the last 5 years.

I take your guarantee lightly regarding the use of the train to the airport. Currently Link 11 if a direct ONE-SEAT ride from LCS to MCO Terminal A. If a connection ever becomes possible- at the moment it is set to go from LCS to Sand Lake or Meadow Woods, then require getting off the train, boarding another line that will go to MCO Terminal C. Then taking a tram from Terminal C to the Main Terminal.

Is that any level of comfort or relaxation?
... oh, and let's not forget about the lack of weekend service.

The Lynx is comfortable and easy to use if you're not making any connections.
The fact people don't ride it in Orlando is telling about their ability to embrace public transit.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Yes, I know.

Sure, you can ride a bus from downtown, but why?
Because you need to get to the airport, and an Uber/Taxi is $25-30, whereas the bus is $2.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
And you're right: Sanford airport is roughly 7 miles from the Lake Mary station.
... I'm sorry, I misspoke on that.
What I intended to point out was the Sunrail Line between Lake Mary and Sanford is only 2 miles from the SFB airport. Strange the stop was not put at 417 and Old Lake Mary Rd.

But from the start, this clearly wasn't thought through.

Old 05-04-2019, 06:08 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
... I'm sorry, I misspoke on that.
What I intended to point out was the Sunrail Line between Lake Mary and Sanford is only 2 miles from the SFB airport. Strange the stop was not put at 417 and Old Lake Mary Rd.

But from the start, this clearly wasn't thought through.
If you're referencing versus the current Lake Mary station, it's because of this:
City of Lake Mary | ACi Architects of Winter Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando