Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 02:46 PM

215 posts, read 279,914 times

Advertisements

Best of luck to you!!!!! I enjoyed your commentary on your last visit- maybe your path will lead to Orlando in the future!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 05:32 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,396 posts, read 13,425,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClC053103 View Post
Best of luck to you!!!!! I enjoyed your commentary on your last visit- maybe your path will lead to Orlando in the future!
Thanks! But I definitely wouldn't be considering Orlando in the future. Or Florida at all. More of a now or never thing. The major issue is staying in my home state for the rest of my life, and for personal/career purposes...where I move now has to be something long-term.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeejayDJ View Post
Funny because when I was in Orlando the last time (circa Dec. 2012) I felt downtown Orlando had much more to offer compared to downtown Charlotte (not steering you away from Charlotte). I walked around Wall Street, Church Street, Lake Eola, and Thornton Park. I don't drink so I didn't care much for the bars but when I saw Wall Street for the first time it reminded me of a mini Bourbon Street which I thought was cool.
I was more referring to the overall development of the city, not just the Downtown areas. I'm moving to Raleigh, though. Charlotte is definitely a possibility for the future.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:21 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,928,952 times
my neighbors want to move to Charlotte.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:23 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,939,859 times
I hope you like Raleigh, PDF. It's a very nice metro combined with Durham and Chapel Hill.

Downtown Raleigh is really starting to blossom, and the people in the area are super friendly. You'll also enjoy 4 distinct seasons with gorgeous Falls & Springs.

Good luck!

Old 06-11-2015, 06:55 AM

51 posts, read 53,747 times
I've enjoyed reading your posts PDF and wish you luck wherever you wind up. I understand the desire to leave your home state. I left North Carolina, my home state, for Florida, and am very happy with my move. I could see myself possibly moving back to the Carolinas or Georgia some day though. Try to get a good job at a place you enjoy working at. That can have a big effect on how happy you are wherever you live.

Keep in mind that besides having a state income tax, NC has some antiquated laws that may cause some aggravation from time to time - state owned ABC liquor stores, a law prohibiting happy hours at bars, you can't buy beer until 12 noon on Sunday and a yearly car tax and inspection are required for every vehicle. Internet speeds are also lower in most places than what you get in FL.

On the flipside, car insurance is some of the cheapest in the country and there is only one toll in the state, in the Raleigh area. However, highway funding and maintenance in NC is much worse than in FL. Lots of potholes and burnt out street lights. The NCDOT has neglected Raleigh and Charlotte over the years, as they have experienced tremendous growth and road infrastructure and maintenance has not kept pace. The NCDOT has instead chosen to build roads to nowhere in rural areas, in order to "spread the wealth around" which has wasted a lot of their limited resources.

Raleigh and Charlotte are nice places and I would live in both, but outside their small urban cores, both cities are very suburban and nondescript in nature. They may not provide a big city feel, if that's what you're looking for.

I don't mean to be a negative Nancy. It will be fun to explore a new state you're not familar with. Make sure to take a drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway, the whole length if you can. Raleigh has a good food and sports scene, and an educated populace. I look forward to reading your observations after you move there.

Last edited by OMT21; 06-11-2015 at 07:23 AM..

Old 06-11-2015, 07:47 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,679,653 times
Yeah, best of luck with your move!

You will now have an NHL team which is good.

Keep in mind the mountains (Pisgah's at least) are about 3.5 hours from Raleigh, however I believe the OBX is quite a bit closer than that, like less than 2 hrs.

I would say one of the biggest things that area has going for it is the educated populace, and how having two schools like UNC and Duke certainly elevates the classiness of the region, so long as a decent amount of graduates stay around and/or matriculate to the city while living there.

Best wishes.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:33 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post

The Hurricanes? They're okay, but nothing compared to the Lightning...

Old 06-11-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMT21 View Post
I've enjoyed reading your posts PDF and wish you luck wherever you wind up. I understand the desire to leave your home state. I left North Carolina, my home state, for Florida, and am very happy with my move. I could see myself possibly moving back to the Carolinas or Georgia some day though. Try to get a good job at a place you enjoy working at. That can have a big effect on how happy you are wherever you live.

Keep in mind that besides having a state income tax, NC has some antiquated laws that may cause some aggravation from time to time - state owned ABC liquor stores, a law prohibiting happy hours at bars, you can't buy beer until 12 noon on Sunday and a yearly car tax and inspection are required for every vehicle. Internet speeds are also lower in most places than what you get in FL.

On the flipside, car insurance is some of the cheapest in the country and there is only one toll in the state, in the Raleigh area. However, highway funding and maintenance in NC is much worse than in FL. Lots of potholes and burnt out street lights. The NCDOT has neglected Raleigh and Charlotte over the years, as they have experienced tremendous growth and road infrastructure and maintenance has not kept pace. The NCDOT has instead chosen to build roads to nowhere in rural areas, in order to "spread the wealth around" which has wasted a lot of their limited resources.

Raleigh and Charlotte are nice places and I would live in both, but outside their small urban cores, both cities are very suburban and nondescript in nature. They may not provide a big city feel, if that's what you're looking for.

I don't mean to be a negative Nancy. It will be fun to explore a new state you're not familar with. Make sure to take a drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway, the whole length if you can. Raleigh has a good food and sports scene, and an educated populace. I look forward to reading your observations after you move there.
No worries about being negative, I don't see it that way. I did come across some of those laws plus the car tax, which shocked me at first. I'm all set on the job front though, same company whether I'm in FL or NC. Thanks for the extended info, it helps. There are definitely a few trade-offs to be made here.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post

Keep in mind the mountains (Pisgah's at least) are about 3.5 hours from Raleigh, however I believe the OBX is quite a bit closer than that, like less than 2 hrs.

I would say one of the biggest things that area has going for it is the educated populace, and how having two schools like UNC and Duke certainly elevates the classiness of the region, so long as a decent amount of graduates stay around and/or matriculate to the city while living there.

Best wishes.
Oh yeah, I love my hockey. So that's a plus. I think the Hurricanes suck, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando