Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the BIGGEST reason men purchase pick-up trucks?
For Work/Jobs 5 13.16%
To haul things 18 47.37%
To make themselves feel more "manly" 9 23.68%
Other 6 15.79%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 07:16 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Sorry you know such fools. If one needs a large truck to haul a boat, the boat is usually pretty big and should be used. Just my opinion!
Eh..all of us know fools that throw their money away on useless things. I'm far from the only one in that boat (no pun intended). I'm not mad about it, i'm just amused.

Like i said, their money, and it's good for the economy i guess. Keep buying it. Boatbuilders need jobs too.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:17 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,514,622 times
I don't like trucks at all, personally.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:18 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Well if you must know I have an F250 quad cab diesel. I have it mostly to tow my boat. However, I also love it for long road trips in the winter for skiing. It seats 5 comfortably and hauls all the gear without issues. Having a vehicle that gets through snow is also important. I also have a Buick Regal for going into town when I know parking will be tight or if I just don't feel like driving the truck.
Thank you for the civil reply, my husband drives the same truck as you, we haul livestock, etc with it.
He also has a 77 GMC van, restored, that he drives for fun, he has owned it since it was new.
I have a Ford F150 and a 79 TR7 convertible that I have owned since it was new, it has also been restored.
DD has a Ford Ranger, and is looking at buying a VW bug to restore.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:23 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Thank you for the civil reply, my husband drives the same truck as you, we haul livestock, etc with it.
He also has a 77 GMC van, restored, that he drives for fun, he has owned it since it was new.
I have a Ford F150 and a 79 TR7 convertible that I have owned since it was new, it has also been restored.
DD has a Ford Ranger, and is looking at buying a VW bug to restore.
I have a lot of friends restoring Bugs. Wonder what that's all about these days?

Old 11-29-2011, 07:24 PM

417 posts, read 365,570 times
I own a truck because I'm insecure about my penis.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:25 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I have a lot of friends restoring Bugs. Wonder what that's all about these days?
Must be because they are dependable, easy to work on, and parts are easy to get...not to mention gas efficient.
DD thinks they are cute and adorable.
She posts on here, if she sees this, I'm toast.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:26 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,060 times
I have my truck because I fit in it. With the seat all the way back I'm comfortable, as compared to most cars where I have the seat all the way back and feel like I'm in a clown car with my knees into my chin. Because I like the room. Because I fish and like being able throw all my crap in the back without having to worry about breaking or ripping something. Because I don't want a deer or pig carcuss bleeding inside a car or SUV. Because if it gets scratched or dented I could care less, it's a truck. For the freedom of being able to haul or move something if I need to. Because I go into the sticks to hunt and fish and actually use my 4wd. Because if I get into an accident with my family in it, they're much safer than if I was in a death-trap gas saver. And, because I like trucks and that's what I chose to buy with my hard earned money.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:32 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
I heat my house with wood, and would love to hear the liberal squealers tell me how I'm supposed to take advantage of all those cords of free wood with anything other than a pickup.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:32 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,371,060 times
Quote:
This thread aint about what i drive.
C'mon man, what is it? A prius? A subaru? An '85 lumina with some goofy ass 24" rims? Am I getting warm?

Quote:
As for the Smart Car...i'd buy one in a minute if i had any use for it. But i can practically walk to work, so i don't need it. But i wouldn't be ashamed to drive one. At least they're unique. And you don't see one in every driveway....which is what i like the most about them. Gives them character.
If I ever owned a smart car I would have to kick my own ass.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:34 PM

2,305 posts, read 3,027,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
What is it with many men and the desire to own a truck?

As a man, I've never thought that a truck was visually appealing. To me, they look very unappealing and somewhat monstrous, a disaster on the road. Yet, for some reason or another, fellow men, in high percentages, seem to enjoy them, for whatever reason. This includes men who do not need them for work. In fact, most of the guys I see who drive a pick-up never use it particular to their job. They simply drive a truck just because it's a truck.

Now, why is this? It certainly isn't gas mileage, as trucks are gas guzzlers. Is it because they want to haul things? Perhaps, but it is rare that one would need to haul a lot of items. In fact, most small items can be hauled in a car. Thus, if it's not cost efficiency and hauling items, what is it?

In my opinion, a lot of guys drive a truck simply because they think a truck is "manly". It's similar to the way a lot of guys deer hunt, because they view it as a "manly" thing to do. It's not necessarily that they enjoy it for what it does, it's that they enjoy it because it makes them feel more manly. My hypothesis is that a lot of men purchase a truck because they have low self esteem in their masculinity, and they need some object, even a vehicle, that says "I'm a man".

What do you think? Do you agree with my assessment? Yes or no. Please tell me.

By the way, vote in the poll.
Get a life and stop worrying about why or what everyone else is doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics