Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the BIGGEST reason men purchase pick-up trucks?
For Work/Jobs 5 13.16%
To haul things 18 47.37%
To make themselves feel more "manly" 9 23.68%
Other 6 15.79%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 06:54 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,309,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
It's not just men. I'm female, and not at all masculine, but I miss owning a truck! I'm always needing a truck for something. I don't need a big truck; just a small one to haul stuff. I use to have horses and needed my truck to haul hay bales, get feed and all that kind of stuff. Now I need to get one to haul garden/lawn stuff.
I'm a woman and drove a pick up truck for years. I was into refinishing furniture and was always hauling stuff home from auction to restore. I know several other women who drive trucks. I really don't think the OP's idea of stereotyping people who drive trucks holds any water. There are dozens of reasons why owning a truck is the most practical choice.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:55 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,864,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
A TOP?? AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! !

Cars with tops should be illegal.

And yea, i like sports sedans. Especially the 5 series. I'm a huge fan of them.
Heavier,less structural rigidity.

5 series?
Hmm, a 540 with 6 speed would be a nice car for my wife....

I prefer 2 doors,sadly we now have three people in our family unit so can't have that.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:56 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Why in the world would a nice truck, driven every day for work and on the weekends to haul a boat and/or horse, be a 'waste' if it was nice and included leather and nav and other upgrades? That is ridiculous to assume or think.
The "i bought one to haul my boat" one is the one that always cracks me up.

Of everyone i know with a boat, i don't know one that takes the thing out more than a few times a year, yet they dropped at least 40k on the truck to haul it.

Hey, their money, but i still laugh.

46,274 posts, read 27,078,580 times
Quote:
Meh...i'm not going there. But i prefer roadsters and sports sedans.
So, degrade people....but your not willing to say what you drive....

Scared? Or do you dive a smart car and don't want to admit it?

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Why in the world would a nice truck, driven every day for work and on the weekends to haul a boat and/or horse, be a 'waste' if it was nice and included leather and nav and other upgrades? That is ridiculous to assume or think.

I'm so OCD that I want vinyl seats and the rubber floor mat in my truck. I'd drag goose blind muck into it and get it on the cloth and carpet and it would drive me nuts. Now all have to to is get out the ArmorAll and pull the stuff under the seats and wipe it down and hose it out.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:57 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,864,597 times
Quote:

Of everyone i know with a boat, i don't know one that takes the thing out more than a few times a year, yet they dropped at least 40k on the truck to haul it.

How often do you use the top speed of your car?

Old 11-29-2011, 06:57 PM

46,274 posts, read 27,078,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Many men do purchase trucks because they view it as a man's vehicle. In fact, a majority of them do it for this very reason, in my opinion.
So your opinion is majority? How about some facts to back up you opinion?

Old 11-29-2011, 06:59 PM

4,209 posts, read 3,588,467 times
Quote:

Did you miss the "also driven for work and hauling a horse" part of my comment? Thought so! Nice try though.

So sorry you know such lousy people whom would buy a boat and never use it. That sounds kinda pathetic. If they lived where I do, they would use it on a very regular basis.... hence the need for a truck to haul.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:01 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,257,166 times
Quote:
To me, that's the most laughable thing. These manufacturers are spec'ing out pickups to the point that they're costing 40 and 50 grand. When i see 'em, i can't stop laughing. A 50k pickup truck?

A few of my neighbors dropped a bushel of money on a new pickup, but most people around here have really old pickup trucks. When they go bad, they just rebuild them and keep driving. Cheaper than these new ones.
One of my sons traded off his top of the line Jeep for a 250 Ram that has everything inside that the Jeep had and only cost him about $5000 more but then the Cummins diesel engine was worth that much more than the Jeep with a Hemi engine did. He drives that pickup the 40 miles one way to work and loves it.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:01 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,091,523 times
Voted other 'cause I can use mine for work, jobs, fun, hunting, get to point B via a road-less point A. I can haul, I can help stranded people, I can use it for a whole host of things.

people w/ a 2-door coupe can only do maybe 2 or 3 of those listed.

That's why I own a truck among my other vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics