Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the BIGGEST reason men purchase pick-up trucks?
For Work/Jobs 5 13.16%
To haul things 18 47.37%
To make themselves feel more "manly" 9 23.68%
Other 6 15.79%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 07:02 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,346,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Sure, if it's for your job or work, then it makes sense. However, this doesn't apply to the vast majority of men, in my opinion. Most simply drive it around like a passenger car.
So what's wrong with that?

Old 11-29-2011, 07:02 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,366,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
What is it with many men and the desire to own a truck?

As a man, I've never thought that a truck was visually appealing. To me, they look very unappealing and somewhat monstrous, a disaster on the road. Yet, for some reason or another, fellow men, in high percentages, seem to enjoy them, for whatever reason. This includes men who do not need them for work. In fact, most of the guys I see who drive a pick-up never use it particular to their job. They simply drive a truck just because it's a truck.

Now, why is this? It certainly isn't gas mileage, as trucks are gas guzzlers. Is it because they want to haul things? Perhaps, but it is rare that one would need to haul a lot of items. In fact, most small items can be hauled in a car. Thus, if it's not cost efficiency and hauling items, what is it?

In my opinion, a lot of guys drive a truck simply because they think a truck is "manly". It's similar to the way a lot of guys deer hunt, because they view it as a "manly" thing to do. It's not necessarily that they enjoy it for what it does, it's that they enjoy it because it makes them feel more manly. My hypothesis is that a lot of men purchase a truck because they have low self esteem in their masculinity, and they need some object, even a vehicle, that says "I'm a man".

What do you think? Do you agree with my assessment? Yes or no. Please tell me.

By the way, vote in the poll.

I drive a Ford Explorer and tow a trailer when I have to move something.

It's a very practical set-up.

You didn't mention how you move large heavy things.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:04 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Heavier,less structural rigidity.

5 series?
Hmm, a 540 with 6 speed would be a nice car for my wife....

I prefer 2 doors,sadly we now have three people in our family unit so can't have that.
Yea, the 540 is really nice. I bought one back in '97...with the optional 6 speed like you mentioned. Kept it for about 2 years and got rid of it....for a minivan for my wife....don't laugh please.

And you're right....convertibles are too heavy. Granted. But...nothing like having the top down.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:04 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,223,612 times
What's wrong with people driving what they can afford,....and like? Opinions regarding one's "manliness" are nothing but BS anyway.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:05 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Why in the world would a nice truck, driven every day for work and on the weekends to haul a boat and/or horse, be a 'waste' if it was nice and included leather and nav and other upgrades? That is ridiculous to assume or think.
As I was saying, in reference for our purposes, it would be a waste. The hubby is rough on a truck and quite frankly, not the neatest! If it were my traveling vehicle or even the family vehicle, I could see it. I just don't understand those people that have farm trucks with all of that in it because it really does go to hell after a short while, given the dirty nature of the work. To each his own!

Old 11-29-2011, 07:05 PM

46,261 posts, read 27,074,383 times
I believe obama slammed someone for driving a tuck....to bad that truck was a GMC....

Must be a leftie thing to put a person down for what they drive....

Old 11-29-2011, 07:06 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
IMO a lot of it is peer pressure, ego, self-image, and the desire for a chick magnet.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:06 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
Did you miss the "also driven for work and hauling a horse" part of my comment? Thought so! Nice try though.

So sorry you know such lousy people whom would buy a boat and never use it. That sounds kinda pathetic. If they lived where I do, they would use it on a very regular basis.... hence the need for a truck to haul.
Actually, i was quite aware of your point and wasn't attempting to belittle what you were saying.

I was just pointing out the thing about hauling a boat around. Seems to me that most folks that drop big dough on pickups to haul boats never actually take the boat out more than a few times a year. My observation...that's all.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:07 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,018,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The "i bought one to haul my boat" one is the one that always cracks me up.

Of everyone i know with a boat, i don't know one that takes the thing out more than a few times a year, yet they dropped at least 40k on the truck to haul it.

Hey, their money, but i still laugh.
Hubby takes one of his two boats every weekend, even in winter. He has actually gone two weeks once without being on the water because of work but other than that, he's very regular with his boating and fishing. Of course, we live in a water surrounded environment, where water activities is the huge thing to do.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:07 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,441,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Suit yourself. I think they're butt ugly and generally impractical. I don't wanna be seen in one. I have a reputation to uphold.

That said, i already stated that for work they make sense. I use one at work.

But i'm not going to be seen riding around in one for daily use like a clown. I prefer to drive cars that are "drivers cars." Cars that inspire passion in a driver. Aint gonna get that in an F-250. Sorry.
Well my F250 is a v10 and has leather seats etc etc crew cab and can haul 23+ thousand pounds. Bet my truck is nicer than your car! Haha AND GET THIS I gave up my Lexus 4 door sedan for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics