Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the BIGGEST reason men purchase pick-up trucks?
For Work/Jobs 5 13.16%
To haul things 18 47.37%
To make themselves feel more "manly" 9 23.68%
Other 6 15.79%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 07:09 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
.... Seems to me that most folks that drop big dough on pickups to haul boats never actually take the boat out more than a few times a year. My observation...that's all.
Same for RV's, the storage lots are FULL of them, and they rarely ever leave the yard.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:10 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So, degrade people....but your not willing to say what you drive....

Scared? Or do you dive a smart car and don't want to admit it?
This thread aint about what i drive. I'm mostly clowning around in this thread. It's not really a serious topic, and i really don't care what folks drive at the end of the day.

As for the Smart Car...i'd buy one in a minute if i had any use for it. But i can practically walk to work, so i don't need it. But i wouldn't be ashamed to drive one. At least they're unique. And you don't see one in every driveway....which is what i like the most about them. Gives them character.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:10 PM

4,209 posts, read 3,588,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Actually, i was quite aware of your point and wasn't attempting to belittle what you were saying.

I was just pointing out the thing about hauling a boat around. Seems to me that most folks that drop big dough on pickups to haul boats never actually take the boat out more than a few times a year. My observation...that's all.
Sorry you know such fools. If one needs a large truck to haul a boat, the boat is usually pretty big and should be used. Just my opinion!

Old 11-29-2011, 07:11 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
You really should not have just put men for the poll it should have been why do people buy and drive trucks. Because there are a lot of women who drive trucks.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:11 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,342,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Men call me sweetie on here all the time, you actually agree with some of them on their political views.
But, they are actually quite nice, you could learn a lot from them.
So sad that you wont.
BTW, what do you drive?

Well if you must know I have an F250 quad cab diesel. I have it mostly to tow my boat. However, I also love it for long road trips in the winter for skiing. It seats 5 comfortably and hauls all the gear without issues. Having a vehicle that gets through snow is also important. I also have a Buick Regal for going into town when I know parking will be tight or if I just don't feel like driving the truck.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:12 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,527,793 times
Gee, don't ask me about this since I'm a proud, Native Texan.

Yeppers, hubby owns one. It's really comfy and he did haul a bunch of tree cuttings recently. We often don't pay for furniture and appliance delivery, also.
Hey, what can I say? he's as good looking as his truck is so maybe there's sumpin to it.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:13 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,342,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
Many men do purchase trucks because they view it as a man's vehicle. In fact, a majority of them do it for this very reason, in my opinion. I've found that a large percentage of men who drive trucks, particularly those who drive the jacked-up wheel trucks, have low self esteem, and they lack confidence in their masculinity. Why? There's a huge correlation with intelligence, in my opinion. If a man feels that he isn't masculine by way of confidence related to his intelligence, the primary indicator of masculinity, in my opinion, then he seeks to acquire so-called "manly" stuff to make up for what he is lacking.

While it is true that many men purchase a truck with the desire to haul things, particularly for their work, or perhaps they live in a location where something can better go off-road, a lot of men, particularly those within suburbs and exurbs, do so because of the "Manly" feeling they get from driving it. Even now, jokes about a "prius" kind of prove what I'm saying. It's the same mindset saying, "what, you don't own a truck. You drive a girly vehicle". It's the most pathetic, weak statement I've ever heard. Those who have testicles hanging from their truck have to be the most pitiful creatures on the planet. They're not very confident in their manhood, are they. Usually they have them hanging from a truck that is ten feet off the ground, as if to say, "Yep, it's a boy".
So why the hell do you care so much? What's it to you?

Old 11-29-2011, 07:13 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Same for RV's, the storage lots are FULL of them, and they rarely ever leave the yard.
There is an RV yard about 3 miles from here that has weeds so high that they'll need an army of machete wielders to clear it out. Some of the most expensive RV's, boats, and 5th wheels that you'll ever see are in there. I'd bet that if you put the key in the lock to the yard, the key would break because the lock is probably rusty.

Again, their money. If you wanna drop anywhere from 50k to 250k on boats and RV's and not use them, be my guest. Good for the economy i guess. But i'm still gonna laugh my ass off about it.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:14 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
As someone alerady stated, perhaps guys drive trucks because they theink it is macho, or manly.

Now explain to me why i have more hot girlfriends driving trucks then the guys, the larger the truck, the better they like it.

Now i do have to say this, oh boy, i do not think that some women handle these big trucks oh that well, backing out of a parking space is something else, Guys i know have no problems at all. Ok most guys, some are as bad as the women, can 't drive for u know.

I think having a truck is a bit of nostalgia. Oh but way back when, pick-up-trucks picking up your girl, the simple life, was a different time a different place. Even with all our technical advancements, somtimes the less we have the better.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:15 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,361,755 times
Hmmmm lets see in my neck of the woods I see lots of WOMAN driving trucks and I mean the big 'uns including me. All my woman friends own trucks, of course we have horses that we haul all over and farms that we live on.

A friend of mine has a gran who drives a dually, still hauls her own hay, horses and tractors to the repair shop just to name a few things we use our trucks for - I couldn't live without mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics