Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 10:07 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,155,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
There are also ditzy white girl names I don't like, like Mindy, Mitzy, and Misty, among others.

I also don't like the proliferation of Old Testament "J" names that have spouted like a bad rash...Joshua, Jason, Jeremy, Jacob...mostly on white guys. Why? Too trendy.

I also don't like men's first names that end with an "a" or "ah" sound such as Joshua, Noah, Jeremiah, because the "a" or "ah" ending sounds the same way that names like Maria, Anna, and Sophia end, so they don't sound "right" for the gender.

I also don't like women's names that end with an "o," sometimes occurring among Hispanics, such as Amparo and Socorro. They finish the same way as Mario and Pedro, so they sound too hard and masculine.

There are so many normal, gender-appropriate names to pick from, that it's crazy to reinvent the wheel. But, to each their own.
Jason was Greek. I agree, don't like Joshua or Jacob, Jeremy isn't as bad but not my favourite. J ain't a bad letter to start a name with though, for males or females, but then again I'm biased.

The whole ending female names in 'a' is a European thing. Ironically, in Japan names that end in 'a' TEND to be more male and names ending in 'o' tend to be more female. The direct opposite. India has a lot of unisex names.

I prefer the French ending ending 'e' like Julie, Isabelle, Marie. vs the 'a' found in say Spain, Italy or Russia.

Those first names you mention sound something more suitable for a bunny - or a playboy bunny, lol.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:44 AM

29,766 posts, read 34,491,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Well, Condoleeza Rice has a pretty interesting name and look how far she has came. There are actually a lot of people out there with names like LaKeeshonda who are not stuck doing low paid entry level work. There was a list a few years ago with African Americans who had unique names and some were lawyers, doctors, pharmacists, etc You seem to have a clear prejudice against those type of names but there are other people out there who don't. Thank god there are open minded peopel out there because if it was up to you then people with unique names would never be able to accomplish anything. and its no point in punishing someone who didn't ask for their name
Condi Rice was apparently named after a musical term, so it's not as if her parents just made up something out of the ether. There have been studies that show that people, rightly or wrongly, are judged by their names. Less is expected from kids with weird names. The joke is that before naming a kid, see how it sounds with "Doctor" or "The Honorable" in front. Doctor Zephyrr? The Honorable D'Andre?

Names really do make a difference | Science | The Observer

Quote:
In his book Baby Name Report Card, UCLA psychology professor Albert Mehrabian tested a host of names to see how attractive people found them. Some names immediately aroused images of success, others of popularity or kindness. On the whole, people judged to have more traditional names such as Rachel and Robert did extremely well. More alternative names scored badly. Breeze, for example, was given 16 out of 100, while Christopher received full marks. 'A name is part of an impression package,' said Mehrabian. 'Parents who make up bizarre names for their children are ignorant, arrogant or just foolish.'

Old 05-27-2012, 08:49 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,415,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Those first names you mention sound something more suitable for a bunny - or a playboy bunny, lol.
Yeah, good call, the ditz names are for girls who strip, ring up cash registers and smack their gum at the same time, or might be rental agents in newer suburban apartment complexes, as in this:
Q: "What kind of residents do you have living there?"
A: (in a sing-song voice) "We have mostly professionals." *

* About an apartment complex in Atlanta, my friend said "yeah, mostly professional low-life."

Old 05-27-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
The whole ending female names in 'a' is a European thing. Ironically, in Japan names that end in 'a' TEND to be more male and names ending in 'o' tend to be more female. The direct opposite.
True. It is conditioning for me. But Japanese names are cool:

Male: Arata, Kenji
Female: Michiko, Kimiko, Sachiko, Noriko, Yuki (means snow)

The Japanese exchange students I knew were a blast. They were really friendly to, and want to interact with, the Americans.

Back to the more controversial names, I had a (white) friend in Atlanta who had a black cat, and he named her LaTawanda. His black neighbors did not appreciate that.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:00 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,155,963 times
Quote:
True. It is conditioning for me. But Japanese names are cool:

Male: Arata, Kenji
Female: Michiko, Kimiko, Sachiko, Noriko, Yuki (means snow)

The Japanese exchange students I knew were a blast. They were really friendly to, and want to interact with, the Americans.

Back to the more controversial names, I had a (white) friend in Atlanta who had a black cat, and he named her LaTawanda. His black neighbors did not appreciate that.
That's hilarious. I thought them black folks had more of a sense of humour?

Yes Japanese exchange students/working holidayers can be really entertaining!

Old 05-27-2012, 09:09 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,643,409 times
Quote:
That's funny. I have a name that sounds stereotypically "African American" but I've still managed to be successful in life and get a good job. However, I don't plan to give my children names that would allow them to be racially stereotyped on a resume, but I won't be naming them Mackenzie, Madison, or Bella either. For girls, I prefer names that start with "K" and end in "A", but I'm more flexible when it comes to boys' names.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:15 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,161,398 times
before selecting ANY name for a child, one should consult several 8th graders.....cause the poor kid is gonna have to go thu the hell of 8th grade names....i.e. YUKI would quickly become YUCKY

Old 05-27-2012, 01:40 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,126,854 times
Quote:
Latoya and the like aren't African names. They are African American names made up to sound African. Nowadays in somewhere like Nigeria or Uganda a black African is more likely to have the name David and would probably think the name 'Shaquille' sounds weird.
Yeah, colonialism.

However I wasn't talking about the name LaToya anyway. but it is a nice name though.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Yeah, colonialism.

However I wasn't talking about the name LaToya anyway. but it is a nice name though.
Practically every single African person I know that speaks English more like a Brit has a conventional name like James, George, Michael, Doris, etc. and they bristle at some of the things African Americans say and do.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:34 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,397,561 times
http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/D/.../downshugh.jpgHow about Hugh Downs?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-29-2012 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: Copyright
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics