Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 09:14 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,128,813 times

Advertisements

I like this question! I think it can make a difference. It's not a deal breaker but if a guy was named Herbert that would be a little off putting. Hard to imagine screaming that out in the heat of the moment.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:36 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,203,517 times
I always seem to wind up in relationships with men who have absolutely unique first names. Names I'd never even thought of, lol

And as for names that automatically are a turnoff for me, Hell yes.

Bobs are #1 on my list of names I wouldn't be attracted to.

Jerry

Tony

Tom

Jeff

Craig

Don

Chris

Dan

Those names are all too common, and each w/ a different list of reasons why I wouldn't waste my time with them.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:10 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,288,346 times
Female names that begin with the letter "v" come off as sexier to me, maybe because it begins with the same letter as...

Veronica, Vanessa, Virgina, Victoria, Valerie.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:18 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,073,634 times
I certainly like some names more than others, but they really don't equate into my idea of attraction.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:30 AM

308 posts, read 447,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
Yes, I know exactly what you mean..because a Chris/Christopher or a Kevin can turn my head. You just associate men with these names to be...on the handsome side, or at least good looking.
I remember in HS having a conversation with a friend. I mentioned, and he agreed that practically every girl we knew named Jennifer was quite attractive.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:45 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,431,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Can you tell me where exactly you found that because I'm a full-blooded Italian (1st Generation American). No one has been naming their kids "Giusy" and there's been a good number of births over the last 2 or 3 years. Are you spelling that correctly because there is no letter "y" in the Italian alphabet. I've seen Giusella or Giuselle but not "Giusy". And it wouldn't be pronounced "juicy". It would be more like "jeewwsie". Capeesh?
Capeesh? You mean Capisce!

I go onto my cousins' FB pages who have 300 or so friends. I spotted a few Giusys. I don't know if it's a derivative, but that's what I see. Mostly teenagers/college-age girls tend to have it. The "y" has been imported. There is no letter "j" and "x" in the alphabet of 21, either, but you will find the names Letojanni and Giardini Naxos on the map of Sicily.

So, for the name Giusy, go onto FB, and type in that first name and then type in the Jones and Smith of Italian last names, like Martini or Rossi. If you don't get any hits, keep trying with other last names. They're there.

I can see it now. American guy who took 2 years of college Italian goes over there to score.
Q: Come ti chiami? (What's your name?)
A: Mi chiamo Giusy. (My name is Giusy.)
Q: *American guy is laughing so hard, he spits out his drink.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:50 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,431,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I always seem to wind up in relationships with men who have absolutely unique first names. Names I'd never even thought of, lol And as for names that automatically are a turnoff for me, Hell yes.

Bobs are #1 on my list of names I wouldn't be attracted to.
Jerry
Tony
Tom
Jeff
Craig
Don
Chris
Dan

Those names are all too common, and each w/ a different list of reasons why I wouldn't waste my time with them.
I don't think Robert Downey Jr. would be heartbroken by this.

Chris - what half the surfers in SoCal were named when I was a kid. My friend joked - stand at the bluff on the beach in SoCal and yell "Chris!!!!"
Half the guys on surfboards would turn around.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:21 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,203,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I don't think Robert Downey Jr. would be heartbroken by this.

Chris - what half the surfers in SoCal were named when I was a kid. My friend joked - stand at the bluff on the beach in SoCal and yell "Chris!!!!"
Half the guys on surfboards would turn around.
Lmao, I'm probably the only woman on the planet that thinks Robert Downey Jr. is nothing special.
And Chris's are a dime a dozen....
Idk- I'm just drawn to guys with names that are unusual, or totally uncommon.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:26 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,887,488 times
Names can be a real turn off, until you get to know the person and can look past the negative feelings you have about their name

Sadly, some are shallow enough to let the name stop them from getting to actually know the person.

I wish more parents took this into consideration when they named their children and picked more attractive acceptable names.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:40 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,682,505 times
I have a relatively common name, but its spelled oddly, but not like a stripper. Personally, I think it flows much better and looks prettier than the 'traditional' spelling.

Regardless, there are some names that are a little odd... I dated a guy named 'Pier Benders' which I thought was fantastic. I think I like names that flow, not names that are harsh. I'm friends with a guy named Clyde and it just sounds so harsh to me. Phil, on the other hand, sounds nice.

If I ever have a daughter, she's going to be named Bernadette. I absolutely LOVE that name!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics