Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 06:37 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times

Advertisements

I know I'll probably be called out for posting such a monumentally stupid thread...but this is all for fun. Obviously, I wouldn't really discount anyone based on something as minor as a NAME, which they of course have no control over...

Anyway...say you meet someone online, haven't seen their pic or only seen a few photos, and they tell you their name is xxxx. If it's a name you like, does it make that person SEEM more attractive? If it's a name you don't like or has negative connotation (name of an ex, relative.etc) is that a downer to you?

Or even AFTER you've already met them and get to know them.

Attractive names for me are often quite classic and old-fashioned: Audrey, Valerie, Grace, Isabelle.

Maybe because of movie characters/people I know some names have negative connotations like Melissa (bitchy), Jessica is very generic and boring for instance, and the name Sarah is my mother's which is probably not a plus although obviously not a deal breaker.

Some may not get what I'm talking about/think it's weird, but whatever, be interesting to see what y'all have to say!

Old 05-24-2012, 06:54 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,684,658 times
I get you. My ex had a very common name -- one of the top 5 men's names. It seemed like every man I met afterwards would have the same friggin name! Seriously! I can name 6 guys right off the top of my head that had the same name. I just couldn't do it.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:02 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,304,418 times
I don't know about that, but I'm so sick of meeting Michael's and Matt's!

I was named after Candice Bergen. I'm very happy with my name.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:08 AM

44 posts, read 46,590 times
I thank my parents for not naming me bearblue or something weird like that. I also get the 'oh lovely name' whenever I tell anyone man or woman my name. As for the question, so far I have not met anyone that makes me go WTF after I learned what their name is.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:21 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
the name Sarah is my mother's which is probably not a plus although obviously not a deal breaker.
Sorry, Tri, I hope you don't hold a grudge but I can't stand the name Sarah. First, it was Abraham's wife in the Bible, a woman who was infertile and, at about 90, starting cranking out babies in the desert somewhere. Then, all the Sarahs I knew where plain-Janes, earthy, and bound for Stanford or an Ivy League school.

I don't know about deal breakers, but some names are irritants. Among the Hispanics, I hate the names Lupe, Dolores, Amparo and Socorro.

The Italians, per FB, have started giving this generation of girls the name Giusy (pronounced Juicy). An American would have a field day with that one. They should have consulted the bi-lingual dictionary.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:38 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,645,510 times
No.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:39 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,622,555 times
I can't say it has ever been high on my list of "no-nos" but yes I suppose I prefer some names to others. I dated a guy called Godefroy Tristam ( both being his first names not Godefroy OR Tristam) when I was about 15 and I found his name totally ridiculous.

Some names are terribly sexy, most are perfectly anodine and some just grate. I am not too fond of certain boring names but it is hardly a deal breaker !

I love my own name and hate it when people shorten it. But I know some people hate my name and that's fine. I do also get a lot of "lovely name" which is always nice.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:45 AM

936 posts, read 2,060,711 times
I have met a few women whose name was a turn-off. Their names all started with "Mrs." If they started with something else, then no.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:47 AM

7,844 posts, read 13,231,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Sorry, Tri, I hope you don't hold a grudge but I can't stand the name Sarah. First, it was Abraham's wife in the Bible, a woman who was infertile and, at about 90, starting cranking out babies in the desert somewhere. Then, all the Sarahs I knew where plain-Janes, earthy, and bound for Stanford or an Ivy League school.

I don't know about deal breakers, but some names are irritants. Among the Hispanics, I hate the names Lupe, Dolores, Amparo and Socorro.

The Italians, per FB, have started giving this generation of girls the name Giusy (pronounced Juicy). An American would have a field day with that one. They should have consulted the bi-lingual dictionary.
Can you tell me where exactly you found that because I'm a full-blooded Italian (1st Generation American). No one has been naming their kids "Giusy" and there's been a good number of births over the last 2 or 3 years. Are you spelling that correctly because there is no letter "y" in the Italian alphabet. I've seen Giusella or Giuselle but not "Giusy". And it wouldn't be pronounced "juicy". It would be more like "jeewwsie". Capeesh?

Tri, as for names, I get what you're saying. I don't think I could yell out the names "Herbert" or "Mervin" or "Eugene" or if he had a female name like "Leslie" or "Marion" during the throws of passion. I would also get turned off if a guy had the same name as my brother.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:48 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,727,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I know I'll probably be called out for posting such a monumentally stupid thread...but this is all for fun. Obviously, I wouldn't really discount anyone based on something as minor as a NAME, which they of course have no control over...

Anyway...say you meet someone online, haven't seen their pic or only seen a few photos, and they tell you their name is xxxx. If it's a name you like, does it make that person SEEM more attractive? If it's a name you don't like or has negative connotation (name of an ex, relative.etc) is that a downer to you?

Or even AFTER you've already met them and get to know them.

Attractive names for me are often quite classic and old-fashioned: Audrey, Valerie, Grace, Isabelle.

Maybe because of movie characters/people I know some names have negative connotations like Melissa (bitchy), Jessica is very generic and boring for instance, and the name Sarah is my mother's which is probably not a plus although obviously not a deal breaker.

Some may not get what I'm talking about/think it's weird, but whatever, be interesting to see what y'all have to say!
Yes, I know exactly what you mean..because a Chris/Christopher or a Kevin can turn my head. You just associate men with these names to be...on the handsome side, or at least good looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics