Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 03:22 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,257,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
People always say that about kids making fun of names, but does it even happen all that much? Kids will tease each other for a multitude of reasons. There really are no "normal" names anymore. The playgrounds are already full of kids named Jaden/Braden/Zaden and McKenzie and Ignatius. People don't bat an eyelash.
Those ARE normal. You never heard anyone call a girl named "Anna" "Anna Banana"? When was the last time you heard the name Audio Science yelled out by the swings? I must not be wrong if they wrote a paper on it.

http://www.nasponline.org/resources/...amecalling.pdf

Old 05-24-2012, 03:25 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,394,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
In my twenties I had a run-ins with a few Erics that left me a bit wary, but generally if the only thing I can find to nitpick a guy about is his name, we're in pretty good shape.
Had a neighbor named Eric. He bought a new home near ours when his employer let him go. Not sure he was someone I would have any concern with although it does seem strange to have a big home built on the beach when you aren't working anymore. Then again it was a TV show and Eric's last name was Estrada.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:31 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,163,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Had a neighbor named Eric. He bought a new home near ours when his employer let him go. Not sure he was someone I would have any concern with although it does seem strange to have a big home built on the beach when you aren't working anymore. Then again it was a TV show and Eric's last name was Estrada.
Eric Estrada-Upholding the law and arresting criminals and the hearts of ladies nationwide....

Old 05-24-2012, 03:33 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,150,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Can you tell me where exactly you found that because I'm a full-blooded Italian (1st Generation American). No one has been naming their kids "Giusy" and there's been a good number of births over the last 2 or 3 years. Are you spelling that correctly because there is no letter "y" in the Italian alphabet. I've seen Giusella or Giuselle but not "Giusy". And it wouldn't be pronounced "juicy". It would be more like "jeewwsie". Capeesh?

Tri, as for names, I get what you're saying. I don't think I could yell out the names "Herbert" or "Mervin" or "Eugene" or if he had a female name like "Leslie" or "Marion" during the throws of passion. I would also get turned off if a guy had the same name as my brother.
Here Leslie is still more of a male name, and mostly old men at that. The fact Leslie Gore was a lesbian and how it sounds like lesbian and is also a male name lol.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:34 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,394,739 times
I know a women named Porsha (Not the same spelling as the car), another named Lexus, a few named Mercedes. Then again when you hear the name Mercedes you have to realize that the car was named after the Daughter of Mr. Daimler as in Daimler Benz the company. He thought Mercedes sounded better than Daimler.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:41 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,413,423 times
Quote:
a few named Mercedes
Fairly common name for Hispanic women. Very pompous and formal sounding.

Also, there's Mercedes McCambridge, the voice for possessed Linda Blair in "The Exorcist."

Old 05-24-2012, 03:46 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,150,245 times
Quote:
I know a women named Porsha (Not the same spelling as the car), another named Lexus, a few named Mercedes. Then again when you hear the name Mercedes you have to realize that the car was named after the Daughter of Mr. Daimler as in Daimler Benz the company. He thought Mercedes sounded better than Daimler.
Mercedes is a female name, the car brand was actually named after s girl, forgot who exactly. Mrs De Generes nee de Rossi was just a Anglo Australian girl with no Italian blood whatsoever who decided she needed a posher name for Hollywood.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:02 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,771,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeBodyUK View Post
Is it me or is Jennifer a VERY common name? I've been on dates with about 10 Jennifers...once 3 women I met in a row were called Jennifer.

I'm meeting another Jennifer during the weekend! I'm starting to dislike the name because it's so common...
Very interesting...also FWIW, "Jennifer" is a modern derivative or variation of "Guinivere", or so I've heard...

Old 05-24-2012, 04:15 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,771,999 times
No names are a turn-off, for me personally...but certain names can be definitely be very appealing at times, though

Female names I admire :

- Kara
- Bridgette (or any derivation thereof, such as "Brigette", "Brigid", etc.)
- Nora
- Aurelia
- Claudia
- Ariana
- Summer
- Autumn
- Melanie
- Sophia
- Elena
- Erica
- Jenna
- Emma
- Roxana
- Christina / Kristina
- Mostly anything else that starts or ends with the letter "A"

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 05-24-2012 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: Adds

Old 05-24-2012, 04:32 PM

29,765 posts, read 34,486,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Fairly common name for Hispanic women. Very pompous and formal sounding.
It's not that pompous--you're Catholic, no? Mercedes honors Our Lady of Mercy, in the same way Dolores is to honor Our Lady of Sorrows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics