Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 02:21 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Well, looks like I am not alone. I really do enjoy being on the computer. I like talking to people on this forum, and I love researching and reading. Sometimes I'll read about a topic on the forum, and then I'll go and spend hours researching it online. I just worry sometimes that I loose myself on the computer. Suddenly, I'll look up and it's nearly midnight. I'll go into the bathroom to brush my teeth, and I don't even recognize that stranger staring back at me in the mirror. My eyes are swollen and I look sloppy and unkempt. And I realize I've been wearing nothing but sweatpants for days. I get the feeling that somewhere beneath it all, is a silent pool of unhappiness. I go to bed, wake up, and the first thing I do in the morning is make coffee and check email.
Sometimes I think I spend too much time on the computer.Then again I also use it for gaming,practicing my guitar to by playing to a song or looking up the tab.I go to forums to discuss guitars,guns and CD for a wide array of topics.....and other sites too sometimes(cough).But I go thru phases where if I don't feel like one thing I do another.Sometimes TV is cool too.And on weekends sometimes I go out to have a few beers and see bands,play darts or pool or go target shooting.

So I guess if you feel unhappy,you should change it.I'm a introvert also but sometimes I like to mingle.Got any interests like hobbies besides computer?Though I actually think it's cool that you research topics that in depth,you are gaining knowledge that way and that's good but too much of it may bring you down.Don't worry about if other people are addicted to computer,if you feel you need to change do what you gotta do for yourself.

good luck

Old 11-30-2007, 02:38 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,399,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondD View Post
A good rule of thumb regarding addictions versus healthy passions is....taken to its end point, its extreme, an addiction leads to a decline in life, it takes away life. A healthy passion taken to its extreme is life giving, enhances quality of life.
That's me. The internet is leading to a decline in my health, my life.

Jessaka or another moderator, please take pity on me and kick me off this site for a week or so, even a few days. Lock me out. I'm begging you.

Thanks,

Greenie

Old 11-30-2007, 02:43 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times
what did you do before you had a computer?I don't think banning yourself from a site is gonna be a cure,you need to take matters into hand with freewill.

Just like denying drugs to a drug addict for a week isn't gonna cure them.When they have access to drugs yet refuse them then they are cured.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:46 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
maybe this will help
click here

threehams.com

Old 11-30-2007, 02:48 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
i thought you would never ask.
dont dispair
there is now CD 12 step
for those of us who feel our posting lives have become unmanageable
our disfunctional pasts, the angry admin emails, the enraged red dots
it is our right to be the happy posters we were meant to be
precious and free
please take a minute with me for an affirmation
im good enough
im smart enough
and dogonit people like me

Old 11-30-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
maybe this will help
click here

threehams.com
I don't the ham thing.

You're a moderator. Kick me off the board. Do it now. I'll close my eyes. When I open them, you're gone. City-data will deny me access.

Hurry up....do it...

For the love of god, somebody turn off the internet...

Old 11-30-2007, 03:56 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
We all have an addiction to the internet in one way or other. I also will find things to research online and I will take days doing it.
But i had been spending too much time online, so now I don't turn on my computer til evening most days and sometimes i will just skip a day or two.
I realized when i was on my trip to Michigan that I really didn't miss not being online as much as I thought i would. My petsitter was amazed at the amount of books I own..they are literally overflowing my bookshelves. She said that she is always surprised anymore when she see's books because most everyone she knows just reads them online. I guess i'm old-fashioned..i like a book I can take everywhere with me as opposed to dragging a laptop around.

I love my virtual friends...but they disappear as soon as I turn off my computer. It's nice to know they are always there though.

If you feel you are spending too much time online like I was, try not turning it on so early. Keep waiting and distract yourself with a book, magazine or newspaper. Get out some projects you've been meaning to do. Clean the house, do some laundry. Take a walk and say hi to every person you pass and wave to others.
If all else fails, it's not that bad. There are many great things about going online. And you can start a blog about your time online. And soon millions of virtual people will start reading it and laughing at your wonderful sense of humor.

Old 11-30-2007, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
im good enough
im smart enough
and dogonit people like me
I'm good enough.

I'm smart enough.

I'm dogonit (?) people like me.

Old 11-30-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
If all else fails, it's not that bad. There are many great things about going online. And you can start a blog about your time online. And soon millions of virtual people will start reading it and laughing at your wonderful sense of humor.
Would you read my blog?

Old 12-01-2007, 02:29 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
Sure, i love blogs. And just think, i'm really real, but to you i am just virtual. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics