Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 08:55 AM

783 posts, read 2,587,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
Hello. My name is GreenMachine, and I am an Internet Addict.

I spend 15-18 hours a day on my computer and the Internet.

When I am not staring into my computer screen, I am either taking a bath, eating, or sleeping.

I only talk to people online. All my friends are virtual.

When I go out into the real world, I wear a sweatshirt with a hood over my head. I don't speak to people unless I have to.

Does anybody else have this problem? What can I do? Is there hope?

Greenie

I pray you aren't a hermit....wait a minute you must have at least an intimate friend right? So don't worry, many people in this world are worthless who don't deserve a healthy friendship with you.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:56 AM

783 posts, read 2,587,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yum Yum View Post
Being sociable isn't for everyone. Some people are more introverted, and some are more extroverted. There's no real right or wrong, I don't feel that people should feel compelled to try to adjust their personality simply to be more like others.

It's commonly viewed that going out is healthy, and staying inside is not. But look at what people generally do when they go out -- bars, night clubs, gambling, etc. And when you compare these activities with staying home on your computer, being on the computer is actually much more constructive. You learn all kinds on new things. If you're on message boards, you're developing your writing skills. The latest developments in the news is just a click away, etc. So the common view of going out as healthy and staying in as unhealthy, isn't terribly accurate.

I feel that the best thing a person can do for themself is to go with the grain of their personality. If you're on the introverted side, learn to accept and appreciate it and don't succumb to group pressure to make yourself like the majority. It's ok not to go out bar hopping and getting DUIs like everyone else. Learn, grow, explore; the internet can be very positive if approached properly.

I second this

Old 12-03-2007, 02:12 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,291,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
What happened? Where was I? Where did everybody go? Was I in a car accident or something (eyes blinking)? I'm all groggy now.
Nice to see you back. It just wasn't the same without your thoughtful and witty posts.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:00 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,354,845 times
Just when I thought I had my internet addiction solved my sister introduces me to www.secondlife.com Now I am in a new world. Speaking of car accidents, I found I couldn't navigate a car around the website, and some guy drives by and says, "Women driver." LOL. Some of the outfits that the people wear on it are really neat too.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:07 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,291,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
Just when I thought I had my internet addiction solved my sister introduces me to Second Life: Your World. Your Imagination. Now I am in a new world. Speaking of car accidents, I found I couldn't navigate a car around the website, and some guy drives by and says, "Women driver." LOL. Some of the outfits that the people wear on it are really neat too.
I tried Second life about a year or two ago. My computer couldn't tolerate it, everything was super slow and very sluggish. It took me 2 hours to try and figure out how to change my avatars blouse. lol And i kept running into trees, walls and other people.
There were alot of naked people walking around too. I might try it again sometime. But maneuvering around in there is really tough for me. If keyboard controls were used in there, id probably have an easier time.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:41 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,402,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
And i kept running into trees, walls and other people. There were alot of naked people walking around too.
Is that what happens when your computer doesn't have enough RAM? You end up with a naked avatar?

Old 12-03-2007, 10:48 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
you need to attend more 12 step CD meetings, you have had a relapse.
please take a a moment of silence for our CD sisters and brothers that still suffer
-------
now thats better
lets just take a moment for a group feelings check
im feeling hungry (please go around the room)
--------
there now let us close with a group affirmation

im good enough
im smart enough
and dogonit people like me

Old 12-03-2007, 10:50 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,402,344 times
I'm feeling hungry and tired. (We're both hungry, Bunk.)

I'm good enough.
I'm smart enough.
And dog gone it, people like me.

Who is next?

Old 12-04-2007, 04:32 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,354,845 times
We are GreenMachine's 12 Step program. We will ask her how many hours she has been on the computer, and tell her to cut it back 15 minutes a day, and then we will get her to walk for that 15 minutes. Snow, rain, or heat.

Affirmations really work by the way. I have used them with great success.

Pink, You must not have DSL. It is hard getting around secondlife without it.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:28 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,745,369 times
Awesome post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics