Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 02:36 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times

Advertisements

I'm confused and lost--so what's new????????????????????

Old 12-04-2007, 02:39 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,744,493 times
Sorry I was trying to quote someone's line and I messed it up...I also tried to delete the post...well that didn't work either.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:40 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,401,511 times
I think my internet addiction is linked to anxiety. High anxiety tonight = overtime on City-data forums. I have some little blue pills I take on occasion but seemed to have misplaced them. Now I am back to reading and posting compulsively. Bad day for greenie.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:30 AM

164 posts, read 516,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I'm feeling hungry and tired. (We're both hungry, Bunk.)

I'm good enough.
I'm smart enough.
And dog gone it, people like me.

Who is next?
I'm feeling incredulous yet worried about Green Machine. What happened to the Bloomingdale's sale addiction, I ask myself. If GM can't escape from the computer, how will GM get expensive new shoes? Won't the economy crumble without GMs support? Then I remind myself that the only control we have is control over ourself, so I go back to obsessively reading posts while sipping a glass of really good (but inexpensive) red wine. A California Pinot Noir, if you must know. At 10:25 am. No, I don't have a problem with that. I'm on vacation, so it's okay.

< --- See, I can still wink, so clearly it's okay.

Besides, I'm good enough, smart enough and my dog likes me.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:32 AM

164 posts, read 516,892 times
Oh my god, my wink didn't work! Even though I swear I typed it!

Um...its my computer's problem, not mine.

My dog still likes me.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:43 PM

22,192 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Wasn't there a line in a previous post about feeling like there was "a pool of unhappiness" somewhere under all of this inside? That is a telling phrase right there. A good 12-step program is Al-Anon (not Alcoholics Anonymous, but Al-Anon, it is different), because any addiction is about the emotions behind why we do what we do.

Also asking an online group about an internet addiction is sort of like someone going into a bar and asking their drinking buddies how to stop drinking....the responses are inherently skewed

Good for Greenie for bringing this up, that takes courage and I like her posts too

Old 12-05-2007, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,830 times
I'd be a bit wary of the euphemisms, GreenMachine. Yes, it's wonderful to be accepting of who you are as a person, and we'd all love to live in a world that accepts even rather extreme examples of our social persona (re: recluse, no preference of actuality from virtuality, etc). Unfortunately, many of us don't have that luxury. Time = money, and suggesting that the transfer of guilt of this "problem" to endless optimism for your lifestyles seems a bit troublesome. Internet addiction is relatively new; we're only now learning not only the mental/sociological dilemmas created through it, but also the physical/physiological complications.

I've had this problem, too. And I'm in no way shape or form suggesting immediate withdrawal from your social environment (forums), but rather gradual steps into another (real world). The endless, zombie-like feelings that are derived from internet addiction doesn't just affect you, it hinders loved ones. Taking breaks is a great "early" idea. Also, maybe question if you have a form of ADD(H)--people with it are at greater risk for addiction.

I'm not meaning to cut-down the advice of other members here, but rather imply that maybe that sort of lack of real-world, everyday involvement isn't right for you, whether it be for economic, personal, or physical reasons.

Thanks!

Old 12-05-2007, 03:43 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,401,511 times
I am good enough.

I am smart enough.

And my dog likes me.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:07 PM

341 posts, read 452,646 times
Oh goodness..I can't believe I found this thread. Have any of you broken the addiction yet? It's ruling my life...urgh. If I break the facebook habit..I become addicted to foruming...if I break that..I just aimlessly google ALL DAY long! The economy sucks and I live in NYC...so the weather is an issue...unfortunately I can't spend my days in the great outdoors..

IDK what to do?! Help..it's making me sick!

Old 06-27-2009, 04:02 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,727,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum333 View Post
Oh goodness..I can't believe I found this thread. Have any of you broken the addiction yet? It's ruling my life...urgh. If I break the facebook habit..I become addicted to foruming...if I break that..I just aimlessly google ALL DAY long! The economy sucks and I live in NYC...so the weather is an issue...unfortunately I can't spend my days in the great outdoors..

IDK what to do?! Help..it's making me sick!
turn the computer off.
i mean really, i know what it's like to be hooked into the internet but ya just gotta turn it off.
read a book.
do what you did before the www
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics