Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2008, 08:21 PM

812 posts, read 2,307,522 times

Advertisements

I also remember when I kept busy by writing mail to pen pals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 09:20 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,556,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Yeah ,,,, I used to play with the boxes after Mom used the cheese up. I mostly remember the Velveeta cheese.

http://www.linselegantantiques.com/ebay/Contribute/box06a-B2670.jpg (broken link)

http://www.peterspirito.com/images/c...s/photo_4s.jpg
Thanks for the pictures! My grandfather had a neighborhood grocery store, very small, storefront. He had it since the Depression started and my family and I lived over the store until 1957. You'd have thought there were cheese boxes, no? I don't remember seeing them. Maybe they were there and I didn't notice them.

I do remember the clear glass doors on the milk cooler with the wooden frame around the glass and those (saying this wrong?) metal "levers" for handles. You'd ask him for the milk and he'd get it out and hand it to the customer. Those marble counters, and candy under glass. The week he allowed me to "sell" candy, I made many new friends.....but never was allowed to "sell" candy again after that...

Old 06-22-2008, 10:08 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,012,672 times
Blasts from my past include transistor radios (you can fit a radio in your pocket!!!) and TV stations that ALL went off-air sometime after midnight. I remember having a collection of 78s as well as my 45s. I remember the morning AND afternoon paper (each cost a nickle). MAD Magazine and TV Guide both cost 15 cents.

I remember having lunch at the Woolworth counter. I remember fishing dill pickles out of a barrel with tongs at the corner grocery store. Surely somewhere, there is still a pickle barrel in existence? I remember pasting greenstamps in the S & H book and turning them in for rewards.

So many memories .

Old 06-23-2008, 12:17 AM

5,793 posts, read 13,937,018 times
I remember sleeping on a cot on our porch with my brother - all summer. This was done by choice. We'd fall asleep listening to Red Sox games.. (late Ted Williams / early Carl Yastrzemski era) In later years it made it easier to slip out at night to go caloopin'

I also remember having a TV Guide route. Riding around on my J.C. Higgins, with dual side baskets, delivering all the programming that was fit to view for 15 cents an issue. I got to keep. $.05 per copy! It beat the pants off my paper route which only netted me $.02.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:09 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,045,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
I remember sleeping on a cot on our porch with my brother - all summer. This was done by choice. We'd fall asleep listening to Red Sox games.. (late Ted Williams / early Carl Yastrzemski era) In later years it made it easier to slip out at night to go caloopin'
That's a great memory. I lived in New York City and as a kid, would like to listen to my transistor radio at night and try to pull in stations from around the country. On a clear night you could get Cleveland, Baltimore, Boston, Pittsburgh and all kinds of "far away places".

Charley

Old 06-23-2008, 06:06 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,626,454 times
I remember we use to go outside to play. You don't see much of that anymore.
I remember no remote control on the tv, and the dial telephones.
I wonder if we had both those back, if the KIDS would go outside and play! haha...

Old 06-23-2008, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinny View Post
I also remember when I kept busy by writing mail to pen pals
Me too!

Old 06-23-2008, 06:53 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post
MAD Magazine and TV Guide both cost 15 cents.
I remember looking forward every month to the new Mad Magazine and poring over every square inch of it. To quote Robert Boyd in the LA Times ($1.50 - cheap!), "All I really need to know I learned from Mad Magazine. (http://www.tdn.com/articles/2007/03/25/this_day/news01.txt - broken link)"

Old 06-23-2008, 07:02 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,675,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post

Caloopin?

I'm so old I remember when rivers were clean and sex was dirty.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:06 AM

When stores were closed on Sundays!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics