Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2012, 03:14 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,252,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Bermuda shorts, liesure suits, muumuus, rotary phones, hey let's have a retro party...call me...
Let's have one with the girls wearing tight jeans rolled up just below the knee, a man's tapered white shirt with sleeves rolled up and collar turned up and hair in a ponytail! I'm lost on the shoes ... what were girls wearing in the 50's with their rolled up jeans? We can do hula hoop and bubble gum contests and do the twist although that may be the wrong dance. But we can do it anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 03:31 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,432,474 times
Hi Kitty!! I'm in the library in town. Is'nt this great, no dashes!! I'm so old I remember double deck buses with an open space at the back, so you could just jump on and off at will. Upstairs was for smokers, but I liked the front seats up there, as I could pretend I was driving the bus!! When getting off, I would wait for the bus slowing down, then jump off, running as my feet hit the ground. Can you imagine doing that today? The Health and Safety Gestapo would go nuts......

Old 04-28-2012, 03:39 AM

Mornin' Dave! So you're practicing using a real computer! Once you get yours you'll be very busy looking at your big screen and all the videos!

Those double deck buses look like a great way to tour a city and sit on top on a perfect weather day. People jump off the cable cars as you mention so why not do it on a bus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Hi Kitty!! I'm in the library in town. Is'nt this great, no dashes!! I'm so old I remember double deck buses with an open space at the back, so you could just jump on and off at will. Upstairs was for smokers, but I liked the front seats up there, as I could pretend I was driving the bus!! When getting off, I would wait for the bus slowing down, then jump off, running as my feet hit the ground. Can you imagine doing that today? The Health and Safety Gestapo would go nuts......

Old 04-28-2012, 05:14 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,211,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
Let's have one with the girls wearing tight jeans rolled up just below the knee, a man's tapered white shirt with sleeves rolled up and collar turned up and hair in a ponytail! I'm lost on the shoes ... what were girls wearing in the 50's with their rolled up jeans? We can do hula hoop and bubble gum contests and do the twist although that may be the wrong dance. But we can do it anyway.
Shoes? Saddle oxfords with the poodle skirts and penny loafers with the jeans. And the legs were rolled up unevenly, one side higher than the other.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Shoes? Saddle oxfords with the poodle skirts and penny loafers with the jeans. And the legs were rolled up unevenly, one side higher than the other.
Of course! Starting to sound like fun! Let's party!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/reddkitten/Misc/elvis.gif (broken link)http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/reddkitten/Misc/dance1.gif (broken link)http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/reddkitten/Misc/dance2.gif (broken link)http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/reddkitten/Misc/dance5.gif (broken link)

Old 04-28-2012, 04:44 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,211,393 times
Toni Home Perms

"Which twin has the Toni?"

Old 04-28-2012, 04:46 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,274,548 times
Quote:
Toni Home Perms

OMG those home perms!

I remember my mother perming her hair, God only knows why she thought frizz was better than straight.

I used to love playing with the little curler things and the tissues...and the smell! Instant childhood.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:33 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,485,615 times
Quote:
Toni Home Perms

Oh my gosh do I remember those perms. Wasn't the one for kids called Tonette, or an I wrong? Anyway the smell was terrible, not that perms smell good anyway. I have naturally curly hair and my sister has hair that is straight as a board. My mom would give each of us a perm, my hair turned into an afro and I would cry and cry and my sister would have no curl and she too would be crying. Funny.

Oh, and bobby pins. My mom would twist her hair in a circle and criss-cross bobby pins to hold it, and that is how she curled her hair.

Women would also often wear hair nets on their heads.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:17 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,432,474 times
My-wife-home-perms-her-mother's-hair!-As-you-say,-it-smells-awful.-Also-MIL-wears-a-blue-hairnet-to-bed.......

Old 04-29-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Oh my gosh do I remember those perms. Wasn't the one for kids called Tonette, or an I wrong? Anyway the smell was terrible, not that perms smell good anyway. I have naturally curly hair and my sister has hair that is straight as a board. My mom would give each of us a perm, my hair turned into an afro and I would cry and cry and my sister would have no curl and she too would be crying. Funny.

Oh, and bobby pins. My mom would twist her hair in a circle and criss-cross bobby pins to hold it, and that is how she curled her hair.

Women would also often wear hair nets on their heads.
Odd that your mother would perm your curly hair. Sorry you went through that experience.

Those bobby pins were all I had for my hair for the longest time. In those days girls and women didn't have curling irons and easy home dryers so we would wrap a pretty scarf around our pinned up hair and did the same with rollers. A sister was 12 years older than me and would give me a home perm when I visited or vice versa. I longed for curly hair - any amount of curl would be fine! - but with my fine hair the curl never lasted. It dropped out fast as if my hair was freaked out and quickly pushing itself back to straight! The perm smell was awful and family always complained.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/reddkitten/Misc/hair1.jpg (broken link)http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/reddkitten/Misc/Hair3.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics