Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2010, 03:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
very sad, not preventable
Pertussis is pretty much preventable if everyone gets immunized. The little babies who can't be fully immunized can be protected if the people around them are immunized.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:14 PM

37,131 posts, read 41,338,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Geeze, how sad is that! You'd think the USA would have a better vaccination rate than Mexico.

Well, look at how Mexico does it. No twenty page informed consents. They just find the kids that haven't been vaccinated and do it. That would not go over well in the USA!

More here: Q&A on whooping cough: Are illegal immigrants fueling the outbreak? State officials say no | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

Old 09-23-2010, 03:45 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,874,661 times
Quote:
you are only assuming that these babies caught this from unvaccinated children, you could be completely WRONG, vaccinated children still get pertussis, in fact , epidemics in fully vaccinated populations are a rule rather than an exception.
Vaccinated children get pertussis at much lower rates than the unvaccinated. They also get milder cases. Any epidemics in fully vaccinated populations hit the unvaccinated far harder as they are unprotected from illness.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Vaccinated children get pertussis at much lower rates than the unvaccinated. They also get milder cases. Any epidemics in fully vaccinated populations hit the unvaccinated far harder as they are unprotected from illness.
Absolutely! As one of my epidemiologist friends used to say, "you have to look at the denominator", that being the number of immunized kids.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:50 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,300,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
It is speculative but very likely, imo. As a mother who will have a newborn in the near future I will take very simple additional precautions because even if the vaccine has not yet mutated here in the US, it's still not 100% effective. I can't control who gets the vaccine and I have no way of knowing who has immunity and who doesn't. I'm guessing most adults don't get this vaccine and are no longer immune. All that I can do is take precautions for my family and my child. To me that's just common sense and seems like a better use of my energy then pointing fingers at celebs and non-vaccinators.
i think you have the right idea Dorothy, you know pertussis is not as deadly as the c.d.c. makes it out to be . I personally know of 2 children that had it, and thogh it was inconveniant for the mothers , their children are now immune . babies can have 3 dtp shots and if they catch it, the common reason given is that they haven't been fully vaccinated(5 shots).
I think waiting untill your child is older and the immune system is stronger is the way to go for all shots.Unvaccinated babies don't die of sids.Be carefull; and keep a close eye on your newborn when you have it, the hospital might try to vaccinate your newborn with hep b vaccine.A travesty and medical assalt on a newborns life.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:31 PM

37,131 posts, read 41,338,442 times
Quote:
i think you have the right idea Dorothy, you know pertussis is not as deadly as the c.d.c. makes it out to be . I personally know of 2 children that had it, and thogh it was inconveniant for the mothers , their children are now immune . babies can have 3 dtp shots and if they catch it, the common reason given is that they haven't been fully vaccinated(5 shots).
I think waiting untill your child is older and the immune system is stronger is the way to go for all shots.Unvaccinated babies don't die of sids.Be carefull; and keep a close eye on your newborn when you have it, the hospital might try to vaccinate your newborn with hep b vaccine.A travesty and medical assalt on a newborns life.
Nine otherwise healthy babies have died of whooping cough in California this year. I am sure it was more than "inconvenient" to the parents of those children.

It is a myth that you need to wait until an infant is older and has a "stronger" immune system to give vaccines. Babies are exposed to many more antigens in the air and through food than are contained in all the recommended doses of vaccines.

Vaccines have nothing to do with SIDS. Unvaccinated babies can die from SIDS, and there is no evidence vaccines increase its risk. Putting babies to sleep on their backs significantly decreases the risk of SIDS. See here for info on the Back to Sleep campaign: Questions and Answers for Professionals on Infant Sleeping Position and SIDS (http://www.nichd.nih.gov/sids/sids_qa.cfm - broken link) and here on SIDS and vaccines: CDC - Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) and Vaccines - Vaccine Safety and the reson for giving the hepatitis vaccine to newborns: The Hepatitis B Vaccine for Newborns

If Mom is sure she doesn't have hepatitis B, it is safe to delay the first dose of vaccine, but there is no physiologic reason based on maturity of the infant's immune system to do so.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:51 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,874,661 times
Quote:

Pertussis is a highly contagious and extremely ugly little disease. A newborn with it has all kinds of serious risks including a one in one hundred risk of dying!

The only treatment for a baby with pertusissis is an IV and lots of prayers. You'd damned well better vaccinate a baby against it.

Your other assertions are also completely inaccurate as well. You shouldn't wait to give shots as younger children and even younger babies are much more vulnerable to such diseases than older children and adults.

Unvaccinated babies most certainly DO die of SIDS. A description of the problem has been around since the Greeks and Romans.

The Hep B vaccine is given to babies because younger children are most at risk. If you or I get we'll most likely shrug it off. If a baby gets it they'll most likely get liver cancer.

Last edited by Eleanora1; 09-24-2010 at 06:01 PM..

Old 09-25-2010, 08:52 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,239,068 times
Quote:
Amazing how much misinformation contained in one short paragraph...

Pertussis IS deadly to infants....

There is absolutely NO reason to wait on giving vaccinations beyond the recommended ages

There is NO link between vaccination and SIDShttp://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/Concerns/sids_faq.html

The hospital WILL try to vaccinate your baby against Hep B...with good reason if you had any knowledge on the subject....hardly an assault by the way....

So basically everything you have stated is FALSE

Old 09-25-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Actually, some SIDS studies show that unvaccinated babies are more likely to die of SIDS.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:38 PM

Here is the link again:

Vaccine case draws new attention to autism debate - CNN

The studies showing no increased risk for SIDS with the DTP immunizations actually showed that fully immunized infants had a lower risk for SIDS. Although no study has yet explained this relationship, it is likely indirectly related to other risk factors like socioeconomic status (SES)-------babies fully immunized likely have good access to health care and higher SES than infants not up to date on immunizations, and may be more likely to be full term, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting